LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Adventures with Dragons
06-11-2012, 01:59 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons
For the heat light, any incandescent bulb will produce heat. The specialty bulbs that they sell for reptiles are sometimes coated with something or the other, but I have used almost everything over the years, & it rarely seems to make much difference. For dragons, I have been using GE reveal halogen floodlights, I like the colours. I do think a floodlight or a spotlight to be better, (I prefer floods), you get better control of a concentrated heat spot.

As for the mercury vapor type bulbs that Ram linked, they are very good UVB bulbs, & the powersuns may be the best of them, but there are two main drawbacks. They have a very strong UVB output, so you need to keep a certain distance from the animal. Since they function as the heat lamp as well, you need to make sure you select the right wattage to get the appropriate basking area temperature (100-105) while still having the bulb at the proper distance, does that make sense. And two, they are very fragile. They can blow out from even just a tiny amount of moisture or humidity, sometimes even the oils from fingerprints. Or just being shaken too much. And they are expensive, so if money is an issue, your better off with a fluorescent tube. That reptisun 10.0 will get you 6-12 months of good, usable UVB, you'd be lucky to get anywhere close to that with a MVB.

And for the fixture itself, I would take a walk through of your Lowe's, Home Depot, &/or Walmart. (I've had the best luck at Lowe's). You should be able to find a 36” fixture between $25-$35. It may be a direct wire unit, so you may have to attach a cord to it. For simplicity, the unit I linked above would be the best bet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by ArmyOfDreams - 06-10-2012, 04:53 AM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Ram - 06-10-2012, 05:33 AM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Fishbone - 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Ram - 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Ram - 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Fishbone - 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Outdoor Adventures with Dragons - by Ram - 06-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post