LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Walmart sell pets?
03-10-2012, 01:07 AM,
OriJas Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Should Walmart sell pets?
Ooh boy. Now we're getting into an area where I can rant and rave a bit. I don't agree with pet chains or pet stores selling pets, period. Whether it be fish, birds, puppies kittens, or even hermit crabs.

Most would probably know that most pet stores get their "pet stock" from BYBs or puppymills but I just don't agree with them selling anything live at all. I've had a particularly bad run-in with my local one in the past before I really knew what I was doing wrong, and sadly I had to learn the hard way that pet stores no matter how seemingly "caring" they are, are not vets and I kind of shiver to think that my usual vet has some weird business relationship with them. A few years back before my two Goldies came home, let alone were born, I wasn't aware of the BYB and puppymill situation. Mainly because in Australia, it's not really cared or talked about. My mother still insists that a Labradoodle and a Cavocker is an actual breed! I purchased a small puppy, "miniature" Jack Russel X Chihuahua. They advised me on the food to feed (didn't know much about that either) which was what he was being fed in store, and that I should feed him 3 times a day with X amount of the food.

Fine, I was all set...even though I'd never really "raised" a puppy at that point as it's only been in my older years I've been able to have pets via my own choice, I've barely ever had to take an animal to the vet due to sickness. Heck, at that point, I'd only ever taken my cat once when she was pining after a vacation I went on. Two weeks later he started to go downhill. He developed a weird eye infection that had me spending all of my shopping money on a vet bill plus medication, which I didn't complain about, my mom helped me as it was unforseen. Until when the medication was done, the infection came back and he could hardly walk. He had his vaccinations, so I knew it wasn't parvo. My mother rushed him to the emergency vet one night when he could barely walk over to her, and it turns out he was starving. I was supposed to be feeding him three TIMES as much as the store had told me, that, and the food was completely crap. I can't even remember the name of it now. Sadly, he didn't come home, but he went to another family of a friend, but that part is an even longer story and a lot more complicated. It honestly has caused a permanent tension between me and my mother and we try to avoid any discussion of it at all because I tend to be extremely angry by the end of it, and initially we stopped speaking to each other for months.

I avoid the store like the plague now, unless I'm getting accessories. Kongs, food dishes, brushes etc. I don't ask for advice anymore and I'm a hell of a lot more stringent when it comes to caring for my dogs and any other pets in my home. I ring the vet constantly, and I've even thought of changing vets due to the fact they're in liaison with the store and that makes me nervous. Plus, the other vet I've had experience with is cheaper, and their people skills are a LOT more pleasant. When Ori had his hip X-rayed and diagnosed last year, they were a lot less commercial about it, explained things to me like a proper vet SHOULD, and were even concerned about how he behaves at home, whether I was getting him neutered or Jasmine spayed etc. Not for business purposes either, but out of concern. They even are aware about BYB and puppymill scams. Unfortunately, I haven't switched yet due to the fact my current vet, while questionable, is closer.

So what do I think about pet stores or stores in general selling pets? I think it should be banned and illegal. Around here, BYBs give puppies to pet stores when they've had an "oops" litter or their litters don't sell and the store PAYS them. So it encourages people who use their dogs or cats to breed as a "back-up" if they can't sell the litter, and it certainly doesn't encourage those to spay/neuter because either way, the puppies can just be sold to the pet store. It's ridiculous. I think pet stores should just stick to selling items and accessories. Leave the business of breeding to the experts and maybe then BYBs won't find it so easy if they can't find neighborhood suckers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Should Walmart sell pets? - by Ram - 03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by OriJas - 03-10-2012, 01:07 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by bw - 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by Ram - 03-10-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by bw - 03-10-2012, 04:48 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by OriJas - 03-10-2012, 05:24 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by bw - 03-10-2012, 05:51 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by RuthieB - 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM
RE: Should Walmart sell pets? - by twinsmommy - 06-10-2012, 08:50 AM