LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a new member to the family...but what?
08-20-2014, 05:33 PM,
shaybearlv Offline

Threads: 3
Adding a new member to the family...but what?
Hi all! After months and months of my husband and I telling our children no to getting a pet (just because with 5 kids/4 PT and 1 toddler FT, a pet just seemed to be extra work that I probably would have driven my self insane with), we have finally opened the discussion to adding a new member to the family! The kids are thrilled....I do love animals and am thrilled...my husband?? well....he's a bit apprehensive because he's a fun hater HA!!! Just Kidding! He's getting pretty on board! The dilemma is now deciding exactly WHAT to look for and get. I have always wanted a Pomeranian! Something about their tiny little faces that just make my heart meltHeart The most important things for a dog in our household is it has to be wonderful with children, small (because I cant have a big dog where we live), calm, and house trained. Not kidding every single dog I had growing up was hyper and huge. I loved them but I definitely learned a bit about what I was not looking for! My mom was more of a cat person and we always had 2 to 4 cats in the home. My husband is not a cat person Sad but I know we will find the perfect fur baby and hopefully soon! I am open for suggestions on breeds that do fit what I am looking for! Are there any Pom owners out there that can tell me more about living with them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2014, 07:11 AM,
sbnufc Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Adding a new member to the family...but what?
How big is "a big dog" to you? I know different people have different ideas on the matter, so that'd help I think.

Also, is a puppy an option? A dog that will grow up with your kids will just make him/her that bit more special to them when they're a bit older (I dont know why, but I'm assuming you have young children Big Grin).
It'd also mean you get to train the pup your way, with your words/commands and so on
08-22-2014, 02:16 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I love Poms, too, and they are truly wonderful and intelligent little dogs ! However, they also have delicate little bones and long hair, and can easily be hurt by kids unintentionally, when they are playing with the Pom. If you get one that will be at least 10 lbs when grown, then there should be no problems once it is not a tiny puppy, but one of those tiny 4lb Teacup Poms (which I think is what you are liking so much) is definitely just too small for children, especially very young ones; and you would soon have either an injured dog, or one who bites your children to protect themselves. Neither option is a good one.
One dog that I think is great for children is a Shih-Tzu. They have a very calm disposition, love everyone, and will usually allow themselves to be treated like a doll when the kids want to pack them around. They are around 6-12 lbs usually, so a perfect size for a family dog, and they are also a smart little dog.
09-04-2014, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014, 04:17 PM by shaybearlv.)
shaybearlv Offline

Threads: 3
(08-22-2014, 02:16 PM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: I love Poms, too, and they are truly wonderful and intelligent little dogs ! However, they also have delicate little bones and long hair, and can easily be hurt by kids unintentionally, when they are playing with the Pom. If you get one that will be at least 10 lbs when grown, then there should be no problems once it is not a tiny puppy, but one of those tiny 4lb Teacup Poms (which I think is what you are liking so much) is definitely just too small for children, especially very young ones; and you would soon have either an injured dog, or one who bites your children to protect themselves. Neither option is a good one.
One dog that I think is great for children is a Shih-Tzu. They have a very calm disposition, love everyone, and will usually allow themselves to be treated like a doll when the kids want to pack them around. They are around 6-12 lbs usually, so a perfect size for a family dog, and they are also a smart little dog.

Wow....That is definitely not something that I was thinking about! My kids are pretty gentle with animals but I do want to get them one that can run around and play with them without the fear of any of them getting hurt as that would just break my heart! The teacup will just have to be a baby of my future when my kids are all grown! Smile My parents have a Shih-Tzu and she is a wonderful dog with the kids but also a pain. I think I just figured all of them are like her :p but maybe it's because she is just super spoiled! Smile

(08-22-2014, 07:11 AM)sbnufc Wrote: How big is "a big dog" to you? I know different people have different ideas on the matter, so that'd help I think.

Also, is a puppy an option? A dog that will grow up with your kids will just make him/her that bit more special to them when they're a bit older (I dont know why, but I'm assuming you have young children Big Grin).
It'd also mean you get to train the pup your way, with your words/commands and so on

I do have younger kids Smile 9, 7, 6, and my youngest will be two in November. It is hard to determine what is "too big". My parent's other dog, (which I cant remember exactly what it is) knocks her down and my older kids to the ground and just licks them to death. She is just a puppy right now and comes up to my waist and I am 5'4". I really should say I need to find a happy medium, one where the older kids can play around with it, yet small and gentle enough that I don't have to worry about my toddler being injured by a hyper dog. I think I could handle a larger dog if it were a calmer breed of dog. I was looking at a Golden Lab but sadly it was sold to another family a few hours after my kids and I visited her. The kids were heartbroken, but we did adopt a little kitten! My husband (the "non cat person") could only be mad at me for bringing her home for about 5 seconds before he was in love with her too. She's such a sweetie! So now the dog we get also has to mesh well with cats. Clap
09-19-2014, 06:05 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
Hmmm... I am really against purchasing dogs from pet stores. I have issues with commercial puppy mills. If I were you, I would go to an animal shelter to see the animals there that are up for adoption.

Animal shelters make sure that the dogs that are open for adoption have all the shots they need so that they will be safe. They are also neutered or spayed to make sure that they will not wander unlike dogs that are in heat. Also, they are trained to deal with families and children, so you wouldn't have to worry about biting or any other untoward behavior.

Please do adopt from animal shelters. The dogs there need loving forever homes. Smile
09-27-2014, 09:49 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Shaybearly, I think that you might do better with getting an adult dog that is already housetrained; since puppies require 24/7 attention just like your toddler does, and that would mean that you had to try and keep up with two of them, plus take care of the older kids, and maybe even get some housework done, or dinner cooked.
An adult dog has already settled into their disposition, so if you choose one that is already friendly and likes children; then he or she should stay that way.

Puppies will need to be housetrained, which takes a lot of time and attention, and usually a lot of cleaning up after "mistakes". Just about the time you get them house trained, then they start teething and chewing up everyone's shoes, and any underwear that gets left on the floor, or somewhere the puppy can reach it.
If you look on Craigslist, or the local free weekly "nickel" paper; you will probably find someone who is moving and can't take the dog, or has to give them up for one reason or another.
You might even find that perfect Pom .....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take your dog to family outings? TreeClimber 5 2,995 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Last Post: maddie