Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angry fish in tight space
07-27-2012, 03:31 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Angry fish in tight space
Everyone who have had community aquariums for a while would notice that there is this aggression issue among the fish. Some fish will keep nipping at other fish, while some other fish will go all out attack and injury or even kill other fish. Sometimes it occurs amongst the same species, but sometimes it can also happen between different species. We originally thought it is only due to some fish are naturally territorial and aggressive.

It seems study show that in tighter space, everyone can become more "angry". Naturally some fish can become more aggressive in a closed system such as an aquarium. Some perfectly peaceful fish in the wild can become nippers and aggressors in a home aquarium.

Look at this angry face. Big Grin

[Image: 6a00d8341bf67c53ef015435a47ca7970c-800wi]

Source News

Don't get a tank that is too small. You will have a lot of angry inhabitants. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2012, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2012, 03:20 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Angry fish in tight space
I don't have experience with fish, but the study results do make sense. When we lived in a small condo, our first home, our alpha male cat was very aggressive with the other cats. He seemed to be in a bad mood quite often. When we moved to a large house, he settled down and seemed much more at peace. Even humans living together in tight quarters, with no "space" of their own to be able to have quiet time and privacy can get very angry and aggressive. I think it must be the same with many species - fish included. Cute pic of the fish you posted! LOL
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2012, 03:36 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
It depends what the animal considers to be personal space. I have had dogs that think the best way to sleep is on top of each other. I also have had dogs that wouldn't let any other dog even sit near its bed.
07-28-2012, 03:58 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(07-28-2012, 03:36 AM)Victor Leigh Wrote: It depends what the animal considers to be personal space. I have had dogs that think the best way to sleep is on top of each other. I also have had dogs that wouldn't let any other dog even sit near its bed.

Dog is a social animal. Their ancestors lived in packs. Social animals in general care less about personal space than loners.

While some fish are social animals too - ex: school fish who must live in groups, there are also equally many loner fish species. Most of the aggressive fish are loners.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2012, 05:48 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(07-28-2012, 03:58 AM)Thor Wrote: Dog is a social animal. Their ancestors lived in packs. Social animals in general care less about personal space than loners.

While some fish are social animals too - ex: school fish who must live in groups, there are also equally many loner fish species. Most of the aggressive fish are loners.

True, dogs started as pack animals living in social groups. However, selective breeding has changed some of the basic characteristics of dogs. For example, the Dobermann is bred to be a personal bodyguard. So it's fine being alone, as long as it's with its owner. Bangkeaws are also not good at living in packs. They are usually raised alone.