LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone experienced culture shock before?
04-10-2012, 11:15 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
Anyone experienced culture shock before?
One of my friends experienced culture shock.Well,the term culture shock was introduced for the first time in 1958 to describe the amxiety produced when a person moves to a completely new environment.And now we can describe culture shock as the physical and emotional discomfort a person suffers when coming to live in a place different from the place of origin.Different people have different views on culture shock.Some people will feel sad and miss home much.They seldom talk with others and get hypochondria finally.On the contrary,some people are very optimistic and make many friends whenever they get to a new place.They just have a short culture shock.What do you think of culture shock?Have you experienced before or your friends?Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2012, 01:46 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Anyone experienced culture shock before?
Everyone can experience a culture shock sometimes even just in a different city or state. People at different places simply have different habits and even certain mindset.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2012, 05:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
i would describe it as coming into an area wnere you realise the local people don't think the way you do, and it takes a while to figure out how they do think and come to terms with it. I think many of the animal rescuers that flooded down to New Orleans (who were generally from the north) were abruptly confronted with the realization that yes, this is still the US, but it's a whole 'nother culture down here, especially when it comes to attitudes about animals. Many had to readjust their thinking. Some did not and tried to educate these ignorant or misguided people, Some just condemed them as bad pet owners for not taking their pets with, never bothering to find out the details of why. The smart ones kept their mouths shut whatever they thought, and went with the flow. But I don't think any of us expected to encounter the difference in thinking that we did.
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Yeah,culture shock can be described in many ways.And maybe everyone has experienced culture shock, which can be seen everywhere and anytime.But surely,like Karenskatz say no one expected to encounter the difference in thinking that we did.But it's impossible,don't u think so, even for many twins,they have different views on many things.What we can do is to adapt to the new environment and keep ur personal style.Maybe you think they are contraditory,actually they are not.Taking advantage of their good ideas and comunicating with them more will expand your views on something,which also can be souce materials of editors,writers,reporters,etc.Some local people like people with personality,so when you stay with those kind people,you can show your style,which can help you get along well with them.Well,what you need to do(keep silent or condem or ignore)depends on what the local people consider that thing.
In short,people with a good attitude can stay very happy whenever and wherever they come across culture shock.
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
I have found too that when somone does or says something that I don't agree with or think is rude or stupid, I need to take a mental step back end figure out WHY they did that. If you can figure out where they're coming from, you still may not agree with them but you now know it's nothing personal against you and you can roll with it. Maybe you can even find a polite way to explain where you're coming from. Cultural differences are not overcome over night, but the first step is realising there IS a cultural difference, and taking that into acount.
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Sure thing,we have to take culture shock into account.If you empathize with that person,you will understand what he think easily.But just like Karenskatz say,Cultural differences can't not overcome over night,it needs time.