LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caterpillers Become Butterflies & Moths
02-23-2013, 03:23 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Caterpillers Become Butterflies & Moths
From the time I was young and even to this day butterflies and caterpillars have always had my attention. When I was younger I built net inclosers and captured caterpillars, watching as the stages of their life took place, from the hatching of caterpillars, then on to the pupa or cocoons being formed and the birth of a butterfly or moth. Having them as pets in net tents made me want to learn more about the species and so I read books and contacted our local Cooperative Extension Office, where I learned about butterfly gardens.

My interest began with reading books by Gene Stratton Porter, my favorite being "The Girl Of The Limberlost," and more recently a book called "Coming Through the Swamp," that tells the life of Mrs Porter, in her collection of nature writings.

In Pennsylvania, as well as, Florida, the states I resided in butterflies and moths are abundant. From swallowtails and skippers, milkweed and red admirals, to the silk moths and pyraid moths, all hold an interest in my heart.

In younger days I would sometimes catch them and allow them to die and pin them to mounting boards for a collection, just as the woman in the books did. But in older age I have learned to enjoy them in the wild.

Lepidoptera is the scientific name for butterflies and moths. Learning more about them helps when wanting to set up a butterfly garden. My garden has a mixture of native plants and shrubs. Common plants such as the thistle and milkweed, goldenrod and marigolds are grown just for the caterpillars that eat them. Remember the flowers are being grown for the butterflies and moths, and their stages of lifecycle, so don't use pesticides or harmful garden chemicals.

Butterflies like locations that offer water and wind protection. So offer them a sheltered area near a garden pond with areas of full sunshine.
They are excellant pollinators and will help your vegetables and herbs, and fruit grow.

You will lean to enjoy seeing them fluttering around your yard, as well as, going through their changes in life and knowing that your helping nature and giving other people an education about the many types and colors, and sizes of butterflies and moths.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you rear butterflies? remnant 0 2,569 07-27-2016, 01:40 AM
Last Post: remnant
Star Simple Facts About Moths & Butterflies 4sweed 10 8,846 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Last Post: BWP
  Butterflies & Moths In Your Area 4sweed 0 2,248 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Moths' attraction to lights and clothing Mantis 1 1,843 05-28-2012, 03:12 AM
Last Post: kyle_crafty