LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats are driving me crazy!
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM,
ChanellG Offline

Threads: 1
Cats are driving me crazy!
I don't have pets of my own, but I have been a pet nanny for others with animals over the years. My mom has a dog and two cats that I take care of a portion of each week. The cats are still young and they are constantly in stuff.

They are pretty rambunctious and the latest thing is they are getting on top of everything in the kitchen and knocking stuff over. Just yesterday I heard a loud crash, and even the dog took off running to see what they were up to.

We've moved all the plants, they are banned from the very front of the house... I'm afraid that before long they are going to do more than knock stuff over, claw up curtains, and bend curtain rods.

Any tips (other than a spray bottle) to keep them away from areas they shouldn't be?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
RE: Cats are driving me crazy!
I would say give them one room of their own. Cats simply do not listen like a dog does. Either it is your house or theirs. There seems to be no half way mark with cats.
My mom has packed away all her pictures and breakables into boxes to protect them from our cat. And we only have one cat. Her house plants had to be put out on the sunporch. She can not have flowers for mother's day as the cat destroys them. She lets him run the house.

So unless your willing to turn over your house to the cats I would say give them one room and if they calm down try letting them out. If that is not possible then your mom might want to decide if she wants two cats. Are they fixed? Are they males or females?
What does your mom think of their behavior?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2013, 10:47 PM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
According to experts cats learn differently and one has to understand how they learn in order to exploit it. The rule to cat training is that cats do things because they find it pleasurable or they get what they want when they perform the action.

If you don't want your cat to scratch the furniture or claw the curtain you have to think of a way that makes these behaviors non-rewarding or unpleasant for the cat. This does not mean you have to punish the cat. That will only teach him to mistrust you because you bring "punishment" with you. The cat has to experience himself that a particular action results in him being uncomfortable. Use your imagination how you can make a situation or action a cat does as not beneficial for him.
03-18-2013, 05:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013, 05:16 AM by ChanellG.)
ChanellG Offline

Threads: 1
(03-12-2013, 11:55 AM)4sweed Wrote: So unless your willing to turn over your house to the cats I would say give them one room and if they calm down try letting them out. If that is not possible then your mom might want to decide if she wants two cats. Are they fixed? Are they males or females?
What does your mom think of their behavior?

They are fixed and it's one male and female; they are sister and brother. They have settled down a little, but they love to play. I try to remember to play with them so that a) they are not bugging me for attention when I'm busy and b) I can wear them out a bit (laser pointer light chase).

(03-16-2013, 10:47 PM)trishgl Wrote: If you don't want your cat to scratch the furniture or claw the curtain you have to think of a way that makes these behaviors non-rewarding or unpleasant for the cat. This does not mean you have to punish the cat. That will only teach him to mistrust you because you bring "punishment" with you.

They get squirted with a spray bottle when they jump up on the counters. Sometimes you can say "get down" and they'll listen. Other times they ignore you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cymbidium orchids toxic to cats? Is any kind of orchid poisonous for cats? thefitpets 0 946 06-15-2022, 07:02 PM
Last Post: thefitpets
Question Why are dogs and cats the most popular pets? Ram 33 25,856 06-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Cats vs. Dogs amberra824 25 8,856 06-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Why Women Love Men Who Love Cats Ram 10 4,738 05-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Cats and Fish Msmonkeyfeet 10 4,664 05-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Last Post: TheBrit