LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celebrating poo poo in the potty!
08-08-2012, 01:28 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
Celebrating poo poo in the potty!
We have just recently changed the litter box area to the small furnace room. Our house is on a slab so there was no basement to put them in, and there wasn't room for them in either bathroom. They were being kept in a spare bedroom, which I hated doing! So after a weekend of work, getting the furnace room dry walled, a ceiling put in and flooring put down over the cement, we moved the litter boxes to the new location and hoped for the best.
The two pure breds took to the new location fine. But as we'd feared, the DSH, the cat that hates any kind of change or upheaval to his world, was scared to death of the new room and refused to go in. I finally coaxed him inside with treats, but he'd just grab them and run out. He would stand crying at the closed door to his original litter box room.

After an entire day of this, I picked him up the next afternoon and carried him into the furnace room. I held him tight and spoke softly to him while he clung to me in desperation. Finally he relaxed and started looking around, even smelling things within reach of his head. Then I put him down and spent time away in another room. When I came back, he had taken a big poop in one litter box! I was so EXCITED! He got lots of praise, more treats and petting! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 01:06 PM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Celebrating poo poo in the potty!
Congratulations on getting the use of your spare bedroom back. I remember that you mentioned in a previous post that you wanted to reclaim your space and not have it be an oversized cat bathroom. You mentioned that it would be a lot of work to do over the furnace room and you were worried that the cats wouldn't adapt to the change. It looks like everything worked out okay in the end and now your cats have their own space and you have some extra space of your own. Good job. You must be very relieved to have that squared away.
08-24-2012, 04:46 AM,
laurasav Offline

Thank you, ACSAPA! Yes, we are so happy now to have a real spare bedroom finally! We have been looking at daybeds, futons and pull-out couches to put in that room for occasional guests now. When my friend from New York came to stay with us last year, she got an uncomfortable air bed thrown in the middle of the other room where my computer, exercise bike, two parrots and another work desk with hubby's computer are in! Not a pleasant place for guests to stay in - but better than in the cat "bathroom" room! LOL
08-25-2012, 07:38 AM,
Nakhash Offline

Threads: 1
That's wonderful news! I know how difficult it can be to get them used to a new litter box location. My poor kitty had to get used to moving from the apartment she'd lived in for 12 years (I was in the hospital for 2 mos and ended up filing for divorce while there) and then traveled back with me by plane to my mom's place in my hometown and Texas for the divorce proceedings.

She's extremely clingy now. I believe my ex wasn't treating her well while I was in the hospital and I pressured my family members to get her out of the apartment before I served him with divorce papers.
08-26-2012, 12:13 AM,
laurasav Offline

Well, I'm glad you're out of the hospital, out of a bad marriage and back with your kitty. Hopefully she'll settle down and feel more at peace soon in her new home. Shame on your ex if he was abusing her while you were in hospital! Best of luck to both you & your cat in your new lives - may there be nothing but happiness on the horizon!
Did your cat have any "accidents" while adjusting to her new home & litter box, or has she been good?
09-03-2012, 04:31 AM,
JustJenne Offline

Threads: 0
Oh, that is great news!!! I can imagine the worry in moving a litter box and praying not to find "something" in the wrong place. However, when I read the title I thought you meant in a human toilet, in which case I would be totally jealous! I think that would be an amazing feat. The systems they make for it are so expensive though...
09-03-2012, 02:29 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
(08-24-2012, 04:46 AM)laurasav Wrote: Thank you, ACSAPA! Yes, we are so happy now to have a real spare bedroom finally! We have been looking at daybeds, futons and pull-out couches to put in that room for occasional guests now. When my friend from New York came to stay with us last year, she got an uncomfortable air bed thrown in the middle of the other room where my computer, exercise bike, two parrots and another work desk with hubby's computer are in! Not a pleasant place for guests to stay in - but better than in the cat "bathroom" room! LOL

My friend was trying to get me to sleep in his "cat bathroom" too when I would visit, it was pretty rough because he's got 3 cats and it a very very small house. I opted to sleep on the couch instead, lol.

The funny thing is that he volunteers at a cat shelter too, and I guess he's so used to the smell he doesn't even notice it. I've gone in there with him some mornings to help out too and the smell almost knocked me on my back.

Glad you got everything straightened out with your cat. He probably really had to go too. I didn't realize they were that sensitive to changes. By the way, what does "DSH" mean?
09-04-2012, 12:31 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Here are some ideas for anyone who would like to teach their cats to use a real bathroom to do their business.

Cats usually feel the urge to go after a meal and after a nap. So what I had done before was to put them into the bathroom and lock them inside for about half-an-hour, after a meal and after a nap. It doesn't take that long for them to get the idea. Once they have started doing it in the bathroom, they will go there all the time.
09-05-2012, 08:44 AM,
laurasav Offline

JustJenne, yes, that would be awesome to have cats using the human toilet along with the rest of us! I think a couple of cats we've had would have taken to it - and our little Tonkinese cat would probably do it now if we wanted to do the training. We don't want to take the chance though! And we keep our bathroom doors closed, so it wouldn't do our cats any good even if they did learn! LOL
ohiotom, a DSH (sorry!) is short for domestic short hair. I have 2 pure breds & 1 DSH we got from a no-kill shelter where he was housed with 5 of his identical brothers. He's the biggest baby - cannot adjust well to any kind of change! The pure breds are fine! The Bengal actually loves household upheaval & crazy changes! She's pretty funny! And I don't blame you for taking the couch instead of bunking in the cat bathroom! LOL
Victor, thank you for the excellent advice! So do your cats do their business in the bathroom/toilet regularly now?