LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewing and licking paws
07-11-2013, 02:30 PM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
Sad  Chewing and licking paws
Hey Y'all! As I mentioned in another post, I have 2 fur babies! They are both Yorkies. I have a female named Prissy and a male named Peanut. I was just wondering if there are any Yorkie owners out there who are having a problem with constant licking and chewing?

Prissy doesn't have this problem but I repeatedly have to tell Peanut to stop licking and chewing! He licks EVERYTHING. Mostly my bed comforter, the floor and the recliner. This sometimes results in him throwing up which I am assuming happens because he has got into something that did not agree with him during all that licking! He constantly licks and chews his front paws. I was hoping to eventually notice some sort of pattern so I could get a better clue to what causes this. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with change of seasons because he does this all through out the year.

I originally thought that he may be allergic to grass but he does it regardless of when I let him outside to potty. It seems like he chews his right paw more. It is so frustrating to watch because I know it has to be miserable to itch that much with no relief. I took him to the vet and she suggested it could be a food allergy. For the last month, I have had Peanut on Zignature dog food. He is currently eating the lamb and rice formula. I haven't noticed any improvement yet. Does anyone out there have any suggestions so that I can help my sweet little baby get some relief? Please help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
RE: Chewing and licking paws
I'm sorry to hear about such a dilemma. It could be allergy... or it could also be something parasitic. Surprisingly, not all dogs are prone to scratching when found with mange.

Either way, whether it is a skin problem or behavior, I think you should start with figuring out when it mostly occurs-such as whether after eating, after going out of the house, out of the yard or even after rubbing through the carpet. Some dogs are allergic to certain types of detergents and cleaners.

If you do want to deter Peanut from licking excessively, try rubbing some citrus fruit unto the paws that he always lick. The strong sour scent can sometimes deter him from licking excessively. Unripe lemon could work. Is the paw red? Are there encrustations or signs of parasitic infection?

Also, try to make sure that your dog food is grain free. Some good dog food options for allergic dogs are Blue Buffalo and Go Natural.
07-12-2013, 01:09 PM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked over his paws and they both look normal, however the fur around them looks "stained" I assume from all the licking. He has had this problem for awhile now and I haven't been able to link it to any certain time. I've tried to monitor him after he eats, when he comes in from taking him out to potty, etc. But it just seems like there is no relation to those things. He follows me around the house all day like my little shadow and anytime I sit down for awhile, he settles down beside me and immediately starts the licking and chewing.

I wonder if he is doing it out of habit at this point? I don't have carpet in my home, but he may be allergic to detergents or cleaners that I use as you suggested. I will just have to continue to monitor him the best I can. The Zignature that I mentioned in my first post, supposedly is grain free. It is a lamb and rice formula. Like I said, he has been on it for a month now with no improvement. I think when this bag runs out, I am going to stick with the Zignature but get a different formula like Salmon and Potato or something. Maybe he is allergic to the lamb? I'm so confused!
07-23-2013, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM by Happyflowerlady.)
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Sometimes dogs will itch and lick their feet when they have a yeast infection. If he has had antibiotics for any reason, that will kill all of the beneficial bacteria in his intestines, and then the yeast can multiply. Yeast feed on sugar, so any food that he eats with either sugar or grains (which turn to sugar when digested), will also help the yeast to multiply.

If you add about a half capful of apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, that will help balance his system, and get rid of the yeast .
Also, Mercola.com has a video about yeast in dogs, and they suggest mixing a cup of white vinegar and a cup of peroxide with a gallon of warm water and soaking the dog in this for about 10 minutes to disinfect them.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/hea...crazy.aspx

This may not be what is causing the itching and licking, but it is an easy and inexpensive way to stop it, if it is a yeast infection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excessive licking apickett80 13 4,446 05-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Yeast infection inside of paws Kteabc 2 2,494 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  How to stop dog from licking? johnnysearay 4 2,978 01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: BirdPoo