LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create an indoor butterfly garden
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Create an indoor butterfly garden
Butterfly is such eye candy creature. It is why some people plant flowers all over their garden to attract them. Some other people actually enjoy creating indoor butterfly gardens. A few others, took it one step further, they breed butterfly and have their butterflies stay inside the house and never let them go outdoor.

[Image: butterfly01.jpg]
[Image: butterflygarden01.jpg]

Here is a video of a large indoor butterfly garden.

A company even started selling butterfly kit for easy breeding of butterfly at home.

http://www.insectlore.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Create an indoor butterfly garden
That must be amazing. I'd love to do that in the future, but I'm not much for gardening, and I can't see myself taking much interest in it later in life. Enjoyed watching the videos though. Smile
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Yeah, the more interesting part is the butterfly, not the plants. I enjoy my planted aquariums as well, but the show piece are the fish instead of the aquatic plants even though they look amazing.

It must be fun and extremely relaxing to sit in a garden with lots of butterfly. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, or maybe ice cream. :p
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM,
Mantis Offline

That's all well and good until you look down and see a butterfly writhing in your ice cream. Tongue
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
(04-27-2012, 01:49 PM)Mantis Wrote: That's all well and good until you look down and see a butterfly writhing in your ice cream. Tongue

Haha! That is totally possible.

Butterflies can definitely be attracted to sweet things, but ice cream is too cold for them. I hope they do not get themselves hurt by flying into the ice cream.

You know it is a proven fact that by watching fish it can relax you and lower your blood pressure. I think by watching the butterfly there could be the similar effects.
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM,
Mantis Offline

I would imagine so. Spending time with my cat helps me relax a lot. Kind of deviating from the topic here, but that's another reason I love pets. They help with anxiety. (Thread idea: get!)
02-25-2013, 06:41 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
If you kept butterflies in your home it would work to plant some of the types of flowers they love in pots that could be brought indoors for them to feed on and could be rotated to provide an assortment to choose from, on a regular basis.

This is a list of ones I am aware of: daisy, ironweed, Dutchman's pipe, lupine, snapdragons, violets, coreopsis, globe thistle, asters, everlasting, mallow, purple coneflowers, trumpet creeper, stonecap, worm-wood, sedum, black-eyed susan, hollyhock, parsley, yarrow, verbena, butterfly weed, phlox and any herbs. Plants like milkweed and goldenrod, and marigolds are feed for caterpillars as well.

Some flowers adept more to be planted in pots than others, but it would help keep the butterflies healthier having natural food sources and provide pollination for your plants.