LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossing the road
06-17-2016, 05:17 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
Crossing the road
I have on a good number of occasions come across carcasses of dogs strewn on highways and always wondered how the dogs became victims of unruly motorists in spite of their cautious nature. I have made an interesting observation that dogs relate poorly to moving inanimate objects like vehicles in motion. They don't recognise them as posing a clear and present danger. You are likely to see a driver hooting to scare away the dog with the latter paying scant attention. The magnanimous of these drivers allow the poor animals to pass while others relish in scoring a hit as if it was a game leaving the hapless animal with fatal injuries or even instant death. Only cross the road with your pet on a tight leash.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2016, 12:42 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Crossing the road
That's the hazard of being a stray dog - getting hit by a vehicle. Not only inside our village but there are also stray dogs and cats in the main road. Sometimes I would see a dead animal on the street, a cat if it's small or a dog if it's big. I just had to guess because the animal was mangled beyond recognition.

Last Sunday morning, my husband went to the flea market very early and was on his way back before 7am. The roads were clear since there's no traffic on a Sunday morning. In one flyover (in other countries it is called overpass), there was this stray dog that seemed confuse. It was good that my husband was able to avoid although he almost hit the vehicle on the other lane. We wonder how that dog got there in the first place. Maybe the law should be fully implemented to avoid accidents on the road.
06-23-2016, 01:01 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Most of the larger cities now have regulations prohibiting dogs from just running loose on the streets, and that has helped a whole lot for stopping them being out in the road and getting hit by a car.
Of course, there are always dogs who escape some how when a gate is accidentally left unlatched, or they make a mad dash out of an open door.
In the country, most people are more likely to let their dog wander, so it is actually more of a chance that they will try to cross a road and get hit out in the country than it is in town, where they have to be either fenced in or on a chain.

It is not just dogs that do not sense the danger of automobiles. Most animals seem to be unaware of the danger of an oncoming car, and there are always deer, and other wildlife trying to cross the highway and getting hit by a car.
I totally agree that a person should always have their dogs on a leash when you have them outside and are walking along the side of a road.
Something can easily catch their eye and a dog can dart right out in the road in a split second and be killed before the owner can stop the dog from running out there.
No matter how well trained the dog is, it is always better to play it safe and use a leash.
06-29-2016, 08:47 AM,
cecejailer Offline

Threads: 1
I think it might depend on the dog, though. If it was a domestic dog that ran away from home, it's more likely that it will be run over if tries to cross the street. Dogs that have been raised in the streets will probably be more alert. It's probably like pigeons... It's so rare to see one of them dead in the street when compared to the number of pigeons we see everyday. They're so used to cars that they learn how to fly away from them really fast.
But I agree, dogs aren't really eye creatures. They don't seem to care about danger until it's already too late and it jumped up on him. My dog for example, she'll start barking even before I can hear a noise, but when it comes to sight she's not really an expert.