LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Declawing: humane or inhumane?
04-09-2014, 06:23 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
Declawing: humane or inhumane?
What are you opinions regarding this hot-topic among feline owners? I'm sure no one likes to have their authentic sofa inherited from grandma used as a giant scratching post but at the same time many regard this as a rather extreme measure. I lean toward the latter but how do all of you feel? No flaming here, let's just share our view points and reasoning. Be respectful, I know people get very compassionate over this topic. We love our cats, after all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 11:35 AM,
Sweetkymom Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Declawing: humane or inhumane?
I personally do not feel that cats should be declawed for any reason what so ever. If they was to get declawed and somehow ended up outside, how would they defend themselves? It's a torture to the cat to take away something they need and was born with.

Cats can be taught to not get on furniture or to not get in the plants and dig them up. It takes a bit of patience.
04-11-2014, 10:17 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
I agree with you, Sweetkymom. I feel like declawing a cat is akin to stripping their fingernails off, but when I was a younger my mom insisted on declawing one of our cats because he loved to practice on our furniture but I think its something she ultimately regretted. Oddly enough he did end up outside and went messing for awhile but returned, though I think neighbors were feeding him. Honestly, I think declawing is a very selfish thing to do and sometimes my mother talks about doing that to our current cat and I get very angry.
04-19-2014, 01:18 PM,
Meowmie Offline

Threads: 4
I am strongly against declawing. I thought that it was a removal of the nails, but found out from my brother in law(a vet) that it is much more.

Because claws are retractable, they actually need to not just remove the claw, but amputate to the first knuckle.

We got new living room furniture a year ago, and one of the cats was just determined to claw at it, while the others were content with the cat trees and other things we have for their clawing activity.

I got double sided tape, and put it on the areas where she liked to scratch. Which reminds me, she hasn't even tried to scratch in ages and it's time to get out the "undo" and remove the tape.

There are other things that the cats have scratched over the years, but frankly, my cats are my babies. I can't imagine declawing them. I think it is absolutely cruel.

Cats do, however, defend themselves with their hind claws so wouldn't be in any more danger if outside.

Experts have said that some cats behavior changes after being declawed, and not for the better.

As far as I'm concerned the health and well being of my babies is more important than any item.
05-01-2014, 08:03 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
I do not believe in declawing your cat ever. Declawing cats is simply because of owners laziness. >:I It's easy enough to teach your cats to not do the things you don't want them to do. Besides, declawing is painful to the cat, and is extremely cruel.

Also, if your cat gets outside, it's left defenseless. A cats claws are quite literally it's only weapon for defense. Meaning it's chance of surviving and getting back home just went way down.

There are just so many methods of teaching your cat not to claw things, there is simply no reason to declaw them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Declawing Your Cat CatCuddler57 1 3,223 08-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Last Post: rz3300
  Campaigning against declawing Cat Servant 13 6,086 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Last Post: BirdPoo
  Thoughts on Declawing laurasav 18 6,419 07-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Fishbone