LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do You Talk To Your Pets?
02-25-2015, 05:18 PM,
mariann Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Do You Talk To Your Pets?
Hello friends talking with the pets are very nutty and awesome experience but those people who has not soft corner for pets cannot understand this feeling.

What do think guys an right or not?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 04:47 PM,
peidi Offline

Threads: 2
I almost won't speak out, but by eye contact with dog. Otherwise I would like to get his answer.
07-02-2015, 05:17 AM,
Natalie89 Offline
Registered

Before I had to give my cat away I was always talking to her. She was an incredibly intelligent little thing and I can't help but hope she understood everything I said. I'll admit I found her better company sometimes than my now 3 year old, as terrible as that sounds, she was a lot more companionable whereas a toddler just runs rings around you all day!
07-02-2015, 05:59 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
Doesn't sound terrible at all! I totally know what you mean, as a WAHM with two kids at home all day this summer. I looked at my dog earlier today and said, "Can't we just duct tape them to the ceiling?" to which she grinned and wagged her tail. She MUST have agreed. LOL
07-03-2015, 05:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM by niightwind.)
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
I always talk to my pets! Smile The dog isn't much for chatter, but miss kitty loves a good conversation whether I'm talking to her normally, or responding to her mewls with my own meows.

I don't think it is nuts at all to talk to your pet(s)! Animals may not be able to communicate back to us in a way that we can always understand, but they can be great listeners. My dog knows all of my secrets, and it makes me feel cheered up when I'm lonely to say hello to him and be greeted with a lick and a tail wag. He responds more to baby talk then he does to regular talk; high pitched baby voice makes him excited for some reason, hehe. My cat, on the other hand, prefers being spoken to in a lower tone of voice, and if I say something to her she always responds back to me with a purr or a mew. I find it very comforting. I don't really know of any pet owners that don't spend at least some time talking to their pets, actually! Why wouldn't you, after all? They never interrupt, they always listen well to what you say, and even a reassuring meow and woof, or a slight tilt of the animal's head to show reaction, can be enough to make you feel better. Many people call animals therapeutic, and for good reason. Smile
07-24-2015, 07:03 PM,
Dimethyl-Fumarate Offline
Registered

I think talking to pets is a common thing .I regard my pets as my family ,so i always talk to them even sing to them .Though they can't react like a human ,they can understand me .Really good thing !
07-25-2015, 08:37 AM,
Susan Offline

I always talk to my cats. They are my babies and they are great company. I wouldn't have a pet if I was just going to ignore it. What would be the point of that? I think most people talk to their pets even if they don't admit it. There is nothing nutty at all about talking to your fur babies.
08-28-2015, 07:29 AM,
sofacat Offline

Threads: 1
This thread reminds me of this study I read about a while ago: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/nature...our-voice/

Have any of you read it? Apparently dogs' brains respond to human voices in a very similar way to how humans respond to each others' voices. This is what makes them so responsive to our voices and so good at being able to detect our emotions from our tone of voice. It's one of the ways they've evolved to live with humans. Isn't that cool? It sounds like it's not so crazy to talk to your pets after all!
11-09-2015, 10:59 AM,
nailah783 Offline

Threads: 3
The whole house talks to my dog. He's definitely another child of mine. He is just as hard headed and stubborn as my other children. He really belongs to all of us even though he was supposed to be mine. So my kids talk to them about their things, I talk to him about my things, my husband even talks to him when he thinks nobody is paying attention. My husband tries to act like he hates him, but he has those moments where he is all lovey with him. My husband is a big softey. Anyway, we all talk to the dog. I don't see anything wrong with it.
11-13-2015, 08:57 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

A few of my friends have dubbed me crazy as well. I tend to have full conversations with my dogs. I know they don't know what I'm talking about, but it's comforting knowing that someone out there is listening. At times, I'll go as far as to asking them how their day was and hope for a response. I tell my dogs about my day when I get home and make sure to get them treats in the process. It's the least I can do as a payment for my dog-therapy session, ha ha.
11-14-2015, 06:10 AM,
CRM31 Offline

I do this all the time, heh. I ask my hamsters what they're up to, before I pick them up I ask if they want to come out, I gently tell them off if they do silly things during playtime. I know their intelligence level is far too low to understand or pick out individual words but I think the soft, gentle tone of voice helps them to trust me and feel safe. I don't think their vision is great either so talking to them probably gives them just a little more sensory information about the huge human creature looming over him?

When I first had the Syrian hamster I'd been told he was female and old enough to be physically mature (he came from a rescue). I used to call him Princess and say really girly things to him. When he actually got a bit older and turned out to be very obviously a boy I found my tone changing completely, I hadn't realised I was automatically adjusting my tone because of the gender of my hamster... not very politically correct even though he'd never realise haha! Stern word to self on not making assumptions and I don't change my tone for male/female animals now!
11-18-2015, 03:55 PM,
Butterbelly's Buddy Offline

You.[img]http://[/img] bet I do! Talk to my pet that is. I almost think I talk to my pet more than I do my partner. I certainly talk to him like I think he understands me, even when I'm not thinking that he's understanding me. In other words, I still talk to him in a way that makes sense even when it does not seem likely that he is understanding what I'm talking about when I'm talking about something complex. |So even if I'm not discussing what he's about to get for dinner, which I swear he understands, I act like he understands, "Do you think that mom should take that new job in the city?" I tell him everything and know that it will go nowhere, my deepest secrets are safe with Hank. And of course I do all that ridiculous baby talk to him to like he was one of my kids when they were below the age of four. He's my fur-baby after all. Big GrinBig GrinRolleyes
11-19-2015, 11:55 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

I talk to my pets pretty often and I don't see anything wrong with it. I've had a few of my friends laugh at me or give me a hard time, but I've caught them doing the same without even realizing it. There are times where I will have full conversations with my dog and feel ridiculous, but so long as I am aware that I look ridiculous, I think I'm okay. It'd be a bit crazy if I assumed my dogs were conversing back.
12-05-2015, 01:01 PM,
mrheflin2@aol.com Offline
Registered

I absolutely talk to all my pets, whether it be my dogs, cat, or horses. I definitely think my dogs and horses listen a lot better to me talking than my cat does, but my cat notices when I am talking to her and usually reacts from it. I think it's completely normal to talk to your animals, and even talk for them (which I know I do a lot)! I have a friend who always make fun of how I "baby talk" with all my animals, but oh well, they are my babies so I guess there's no harm there. Anyways, you're definitely not nutty for talking to your animals, they are your family! Smile
12-05-2015, 02:49 PM,
lexinonomous Offline

Ha ha, I definitely baby talk to my animals as well. People usually look at me like I'm weird...but it's okay. I love it, ha ha. They are definitely my family members. Smile
12-07-2015, 04:19 AM,
legeipslt Offline

Yes, I talk to my pets. Many years ago, I was going through an extremely tough time in my life. In my late 40's I decided I had enough of being a victim of my earlier life circumstances and needed to deal with it. This was the toughest part, because it's like going through the situation twice. First, when it happened and then again when coming to terms with healing. I got a black cat. She was gorgeous with the biggest greenish/yellow eyes. I named her Blackie, of course!

Blackie helped me become a survivor. She would lay on my lap and I'd cry, moan, and wail. I would read to her. I talked to her about what my plans where. I spoke to her about all the bad I had gone through, and told her she was helping me in a big way. Pets can be a soothing part of our lives.

Blackie never complained about having to listen to me relate all the bad stuff. She looked at me like she understood and her main purpose in life was to make me, her human, feel better.

She slept with me, curled up against my tense body and her warm body gradually made me feel more at ease. Blackie was a life-saver, literally. If it weren't for her, I don't think I could have, would have survived. I think humans were put on Earth to take care of the animals. In this case, an animal took care of her human.

Now, Blackie has been gone for many years and I think about her often. Since having Blackie in my life, I have had a whole slew of different kinds of pets. I talk to them all. What a silent life it would be if I didn't. Yes, I have music playing, but I know my pets enjoy listening to me. That perk of their ears, means... I hear you human! I love you for talking to me.
12-07-2015, 09:33 AM,
PatriciaSilva Offline

Wink I always talk to my dog and sing too! People may think it's a little bit childish but i do treat him like a baby. I hold Pinki in my arms and kiss him a lot in the eyes mainly, it may seem weird, i know, but that's how i show my love for him... Whenever i kiss and talk to my cat, he jealously runs to us and starts barking for attention...! He KNOWS what that means! Wink
12-07-2015, 11:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM by legeipslt.)
legeipslt Offline

That's so funny... I also sing to my Chihuahuas. Today I was grooming them and the first thing I do is Dremel their nails and then I brush their teeth, before I use my shedding blade on them to remove fur. They shed like German Shedders. Rofl

I learned that singing will calm them down and they like it. Many years I go, I went to a dentist who had a dental hygienist who always sang while she was working alongside him. It's very cool!
12-08-2015, 04:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 04:36 AM by Elfprincess.)
Elfprincess Offline

But of course! I don't feel good talking in cutesy manner to little kids, but I love to talk like that to my sweet dogs! Let's face it, in the past dogs were our fellow hunters, but nowadays they are more like our children. They are dependant on us, need our love and protection, not to mention food Tongue They even have those huge eyes like children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,748 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,331 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 685 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,664 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,057 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,906 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,706 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,439 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,583 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,648 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,862 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,608 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,364 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,043 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,590 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant