LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You have an Aviary
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
Do You have an Aviary
Many people keep single or pairs of birds in cages. They are easy to tame and get used to their surroundings and the people who look after them.

Many of the parrot type family, budgies etc being allowed out with their owners as would a cat or dog.

What about aviary birds? Over the years I have had a variety of small birds in two large aviaries I had in the UK.

A colony of budgies can give hours of pleasure, if one is not worried about showing the birds allowing them to colony breed, picking their own partners, can produce beautifully coloured birds and a ready market is always available from private buyers or selling them to local pet stores for cash or food.

Canaries, finches, lovebirds, cockatiels the list is endless and the enjoyment they give just as long.

Do you keep an aviary?
What birds do you keep?
Did you build it or was it store bought?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2013, 12:16 PM,
A0130 Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Do You have an Aviary
If I had the space, the money and the time I would have one. However, I have no backyard. I live in Chicago in a tiny apartment. I work as a nurse and almost all the money I have goes into paying for living and paying for my bird. If I had an aviary, I would keep lovebirds. I own an Opaline peachfaced lovebird right now. I feel like he would be much happier if he had lots of friends. Lovebirds are incredibly social, I feel a little guilty for keeping only one. Unfortunately, I don't have the space or money to care for many birds. I would also have a hard time selling the birds in my aviary... I get so attached to animals that it gets tough to give them away. I fostered puppies a while back... when adoption time came I was so sad. So, if I had an aviary I would just keep them for myself, maybe try to promote bird education and invite others to come see them.
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Do You have an Aviary
Unfortunately I'm in the same situation now living in an apartment although I do occasionally see an aviary which someone has built on their balcony.
Reference your lovebird, I don't know how much they are in Chicago but he would probably be much happier if you could get him a companion, doesn't matter whether it's male or female. I'm sure that would cheer him up, as you say they are very gregarious birds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  other birds in aviary with Lovebirds homewood hill 1 2,694 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Ram