LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use a heartworm and flea control combo. drug?
03-04-2014, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM by TreeClimber.)
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Do you use a heartworm and flea control combo. drug?
I am at a quandary. Misha needs heartworm medication. She was on Interceptor for a year. But, I noticed that she had a slight reaction to it. It made her thirsty for a couple of hours after taking it (which, of course, made her urinate a lot later in the day). I discussed it with a veterinarian a couple months ago. She decided that Misha should try one that kills heartworm, other parasites, and fleas.

I had her tested for heartworm when she got her vaccines last week. She is good to go on the medication. But, the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to give her an oral flea medication. She has been on Advantage II since she was a pup. It works very well. Also, if she has a reaction, how will we know if it's the anti-parasitical or the anti-flea medication causing it?

Heartworm isn't common in my area of the US, though their have been incidences. Fleas, well they are only a problem in late Spring and Summer if our temperatures are consistently in the 80s. Advantage works great on them. I've rarely have had to give more than 2 monthly doses to kill off an infestation.

How do you guys feel about this issue? Are you okay with these combination drugs? Do you mind giving your dog an oral flea medication? Do you prefer the topicals? This dog Mom does worry. I'd rather give her only the drugs that are necessary. It is more convenient to give her an oral flea medication, but it isn't as if it is that difficult to do the topical.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best overall flea prevention nickysduck2 3 2,109 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: pandabear1991