LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do your cats eat bugs?
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
Do your cats eat bugs?
Our cats will eat just about anything that creeps, crawls and slides on the floor!

They won't though eat lady bugs. But everything else seems to be game. Flies, spiders, and moths when they can catch them.

I find it rather gross but there are times I request their presence when a large creepy crawly is coming near me.

Do your cats eat anything that is considered bugs or spiders?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Do your cats eat bugs?
My cat doesn't actually eat bugs. She'll play with bugs, chase them, kill them, even carry them around in her mouth and drop them in the living room like a gift, but she doesn't actually swallow them.
It's pretty gross when your cat wants to "kiss" your face or put their mouth near you after they just dropped half of a cockroach on the living room rug with that same mouth.
My cat is normally a grouch and wants very little to do with me, but of course when I'm grossed out by her carrying around half of a roach in her mouth, she suddenly wants to be besties.
My cat is such a troll.
02-24-2013, 12:54 PM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
My cat doesn't eat bugs. That's something she will just never touch (unless I haven't noticed too carefully). She actually walks around
like she is a princess and usually eats only the treats I leave inside of her bowl. She really walks around as if we are all of her servants and picking things up from the floor
is just one of those things she probably will never attempt to do.
04-03-2013, 06:38 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

Threads: 0
Our cat used to eat moths. She used to sit in the window when it was sunny and sunbathe. The sun, of course, attracted the moths and other flying creatures. She would occasionally catch some of them. I do not believe that she made very much effort to do so though. I think she only ate them if they happened to fly very close to her. When they did that, she would just turn her head around and snatch them out of the air. My dad saw her do it a few times. We think she did not like the taste of it much because as she chewed them she would screw up her face and seem slightly disgusted. She probably just did it out of instinct: we were feeding her sufficiently so she was probably not really hungry. Perhaps she only ate the ones that had irritated her by flying so near to her. She was a rather fussy eater anyway and if we tried to give her the same thing too many times, she would stop eating it. We had to give her something different then and we could only give her the thing she had stopped eating after a few weeks of other foods.
04-06-2013, 07:58 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
Our cats don't eat bugs or insects. They will however paly with them but after they're dead they leave them alone. the same for mice. They will play with them but won't eat them. My cat does like eating table scraps though even though she has her own pet food.
04-06-2013, 12:26 PM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Our Boots does not eat bugs but does take great pleasure in killing them. He can not stand having a house fly or moth, in the house. He leaps at the windows, climbing from sill to sill, in search of the buzzz fly or bee, or fluttering moth.
Needless to say in his quest to hunt down and kill bugs he has knocked down my mom's plants and nick-nacks from window sills and the china cupboards. Once he catches the insect he plays his cat and mouse game with them until they die from repeatedly getting jumped on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2013, 05:38 AM,
MarinaRose Offline
Registered

My cats LOVE to eat bugs! Thankfully for me, bugs don't come around here very often. The very first time one of them ate a bug, I was sitting on my bed and I saw that my cats were reaching towards something. I got out of bed and went over to them. That's when I saw that one of my cats had a spider in her mouth!!! D: I tried to get her to spit it out, but she just swallowed it. Since then, they've eaten more spiders, a grasshopper, flies, & moths on occasion. They love to pounce, jump, & attack anything that creeps across the floor or flies. I'm so grateful for my cats and their hunting skills, so I don't have to deal with the spiders and other bugs.
04-19-2013, 10:53 PM,
mariposa Offline

Threads: 8
I don't *think* our cat eats bugs :-) but there are times that I've had to wonder. When she was just a few months old, my daughter told me that there had been a fly around the kitty and then all of a sudden she didn't know where it was. I told her with a smile that I really don't think cats eat flies (well it was our first cat! :-) ) but then when she got older I started wondering about it. If it happens, it isn't often, but the thought of it totally grosses me out!

I do notice that when her tummy is upset she eats spider webs, though... I don't know why that is, but it's happened a number of times. She rarely has a hairball, but the spider web thing happens after those episodes, or after she's thrown up for some other reason. Again, extremely rare luckily.
05-05-2013, 11:31 PM,
Britt24xoxo Offline

Yes, my cats do eat bugs. It's funny to watch them try and catch flys. I had a cat one time that would eat lizards too. It was disugusting to watch and I felt horrible for the little lizards. But, she was always content and happy whenm she caught one. The cats I have now just eat bugs or catch them and swat them around all day.
05-13-2013, 06:13 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
My cats eat bugs, though I would rather if they wouldn't. My younger cat is a huge glutton, and I would really expect him to be the one who is chasing and eating the bugs, but other than running after them for a short while he's not very interested. My older cat, on the other hand, is the stereotypical ruthless hunter. She chases them very passionately, she puts them in her mouth and then let's them run a little bit more, than catches them again... A few days ago she caught a really big bug, and after she ate him I noticed every one of his legs laying around on the floor. I'm not even sure how she managed to do that. But I really dislike her killing bugs. Whenever I see a bug in my house, I try to catch it and let it go outside. Bugs may not be as cute and fuzzy as cats, but they do no harm, and shouldn't suffer such a cruel death.
05-26-2013, 05:39 AM,
jules0309 Offline

Threads: 1
My cat seeks out the bugs that stray into our home but does not eat them. He plays with them and kill them. He has been indoors his whole life so I fear that he might get sick from eating bugs too. I am always trying to find the bugs before he can lay his paws on them. I do not like dealing with bugs and try to shoo them out out of the house with whatever I have handy,usually newspapers.
06-07-2013, 12:35 PM,
maelstrom Offline

My cat will stalk flies and spiders, and occasionally go after them. She'll avoid ants. She hates ants. A few years ago we found ants all in her fur and her food, which probably explains why she hates them. It's fun to watch her stalk the flies and the spiders. She acts like she's a kitten again. It's rather cute.
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM,
Babble64 Offline

Threads: 3
Mine chase bugs and catch them, but often don't eat them. I found it funny....my brother told me once that a cat doesn't hunt instinctively and if a kitten isn't left with it's mother long enough for her to teach it to hunt they won't know how. I told him that was funny....mine came to live with us at 8 weeks old and before that lived in a basement with her mom and litter mates....and she chases bugs and mice. I sure didn't teach her that! LOL
07-08-2013, 11:26 PM,
belgianwriter Offline

Threads: 2
My cats go crazy when they see flying insects. They will try to catch them in every way possible and subsequently eat them. Mostly they will attempt to eat flies when they see fit to do so. I know it looks very weird but I do not suppose it will do them any harm to eat flies.
07-09-2013, 07:21 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
I don't know what my cat eats when he's out on his own, but inside the house he does pounce if he sees a spider or a moth.

Where I live, in late summer there can be a lot of crane flies, also known as daddy-longlegs, coming in through open door and windows. I remember one time my cat pounced on one and ate most of it, leaving just one long leg twitching on the floor. Ugh.
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM,
Amalia Offline

Threads: 2
I once had a cat that really started a war against fleas. She would hunt down any fly in the house and that made me very happy because I got rid of those annoying creatures.
The cats I have now play with everything they can find in the yard. I love watching them play with bug, they are so funny while they do it. They do know when to back off, like when they find a bee. They don't usually eat the bugs, but sometimes they do.
Another funny thing to watch is 2 cats fighting over 1 bug Smile)
07-12-2013, 05:33 AM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
My cat eats bugs,spiders,roaches and even lizards and squirrels. She's left a few squirrel parts all over the yard and even baby rabbits Sad She is so mean killing little baby bunnies. Anyways I think she does it to get them out of her yard, she stays healthy eating stuff outside and is fat from eating things outside. We of course give her kitty food but she doesn't really eat it, anyways she'll swallow the bugs after she kills them. My dog however will chase the bugs as well and kill them to protect me, I love my animals they are so sweet.
08-01-2013, 10:18 PM,
Athenagdlyt Offline

Just like most of your cats, some of my cats don't really eat/chew insects. They like to play with them. Sometimes I see them chasing grasshoppers, crickets, and cockroaches. They catch and paw them till the insects die of rigor mortis.

Sometimes I catch one of our cats staring at a corner where possibly a cockroach would come out. Then he would play with it until it dies. When I see them chasing lizards, I stop them. Lizards help keep the mosquitoes at bay. I don't want my cats attacking our house lizard friends.

For roaches, I don't mind just as long as my cat won't come to kiss me after playing, smelling of freshly-squeezed roach.
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM,
Tribie Offline

Yes, my cats eats bugs but I try to prevent them from doing it as much as I can. I think it is pretty gross and I am afraid that the bugs might poison my cats or something. Cockroaches for instance might have some poison because I do spray insect killers in my house. As for some other bugs, I don't exactly know where they have been so I don't know if they are safe or not. My cats usually play with them first before putting them in their mouths so after a bit of playing, I take the bug away. I just let them have a little fun for a while. I know lizards aren't bugs but they are just as small so my cats show interest in them as well. I protect the lizards from my cats because they are "good guys". They eat mosquitoes and cockroaches.
08-15-2013, 01:05 PM,
bstahr Offline

My cat likes to stare at bugs and occasionally bat them with her paw, but she doesn't eat them too much. Or, at least that's what I thought! We took her to the vet last month because we found a worm on her behind, and the vet concluded she must have eaten a flea! She's an indoor cat, but we take her outside on a harness to roam around the yard. She likes to eat grass, so I assume that's where she found the flea. I wish she would eat spiders and mosquitoes instead!
08-25-2013, 11:10 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

My dogs would. It was kind of funny, even though it was gross. They would get all excited and run over and munch on them like it was some special treat.

My cats won't eat the bugs, but they will swat at them and play with them. My black cat will sometimes get really excited and start running all over the place and pouncing around it if she sees a bug.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often should cats be fed? brianapaige619 13 5,121 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: jamesformtter55
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,124 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,865 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,336 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,478 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,909 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,128 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,673 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,029 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,036 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,521 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,865 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,629 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,029 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,079 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783