LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do your cats like to play with toys?
02-21-2014, 01:44 PM,
emilyrose93 Offline

Threads: 1
Do your cats like to play with toys?
I have bought toys for my cats in the past and they never use them!

Sometimes they will chase a small ball if I roll it for them, but then once they get to the ball they just walk away. The only other toy they've ever really liked is a laser pointer. There's so many toys on the market for cats that look like a lot of fun, but my cats don't like to use them at all. Even if the toy involves catnip it doesn't seem to make a difference.

It seems to me the only game they like is chasing and wrestling with each-other, so I'm glad I have two because it seems like they'd be pretty bored if there was only one!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 05:39 PM,
wander_n_wonder Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Do your cats like to play with toys?
Yeah, I have the exact same experience with my cats. I bought them 2 cute little toys that vibrates when you pull the string. They only touched it once and after that, instead of playing with it, they would run away from it. I think they find it pretty strange and they didn't like the material of the toy (it was made of fabric).

Instead, they would rather play with the pine cones in my garage. They like that a lot. I guess it's because it's rough and they like the feeling of it rubbing against their claws. I even got scared at first when they came near it because I was worried that they will get hurt. However, it seems they actually enjoy playing with it so I just allow them.

I think cats will never appreciate any toy that's made out of synthetic materials. They like toys also which are rougher in texture.
05-03-2014, 01:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 02:00 AM by KittyReeves.)
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
My cats are dumb, and either ignore the toys I get, or they're afraid of the toys I get. I once blew bubbles, and the one cat tore off with her tail fluffed out and hid under my bed for an hour. My cats are weirdos.

My step-mothers cat however, loves toys. But not store bought toys, oh no. He'll only play with "trash". He likes playing with q-tips, the plastic ring off of water bottles, used tissue paper, little paper balls, and used string. He'll go for the laser occasionally, but only if it's pointed at a wall that he can jump up. He won't chase it all.

I used to have a cat that loved these fluffy ball toys, and would carry them around the house in his mouth. This cat also would only play with jingle balls in the middle of the night. Nothing like trying to sleep only to be woke up by hearing loud jingling noises and thumping. (My friend, while being a bit plastered, asked me if the cat was "murdering fairies" when she heard the jingling and thumping. I've never giggled so hard in my life.)
06-07-2014, 01:05 AM,
Amesii Offline

My cats are not very interested in store bought toys. They might bat it around for a while, but they get bored pretty quickly. I've tried buying many things including toy mice and balls that jingle. My orange tabby loves any kind of string, especially shoe laces. He will drag it around the house and put it in different areas. He will then sit by the string and wait for someone to play with him. He does this all day. My gray cat likes anything that makes a crinkly sound, such as plastic and paper. He will bat it around the house and run after it. Sometimes my apartment gets messy because of it lol. They both really love boxes. I ordered them a cat tree from Amazon and at first they like the box it came in more than the tree.
07-25-2014, 11:56 PM,
forextraspecialstuff Offline

I have two cats and they both love toys. I think a large part of that is because we introduced them to toys as soon as we adopted them and set aside at least 30 minutes a day to play with them. The cats definitely don't like all toys, but they have a few favorites. Currently they like the stick that has feathers and bells hanging from it, we dangle this in front of them and they jump for it or we drag it across the floor and they chase it. The other favorite toy they have now are small soft mice that have a slight rattle to them but are stuffed with honeysuckle. Our cats have never been very fond of catnip but go crazy for honeysuckle. We recently found at a pet store a honeysuckle spray that we can use to refresh their toys so we spray them once a week to keep the kitties interested.
07-28-2014, 06:26 AM,
queen of indecision Offline
Registered

Most of the toys my Milo plays with are my hair ties and milk jug rings. But I do occasionally buy him toys. The ones I have the best luck with are the string kind that are attached to a stick. We actually home made one too, and he loves it. Aside from that, he figured out and loves the pull-string toys. I got him one a few years ago, and he destroyed it, and it took a while for me to find a good replacement online. He seems to enjoy any sort of catnip toy, which don't last for long but they are cheap. I've also tried mini tennis balls. Those are great for when he wants to play alone, sometimes I will catch him batting it around and it almost looks like he is playing soccer. Smile
07-28-2014, 09:02 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
All of my cats over the years have loved anything with catnip involved in it. But, I had one cat that loved to steal the lids on the plastic gallon milk jugs. They would disappear and I could never find them to put them back on the jug. When I would move furniture, there they would be,, every single missing lid. She would also play fetch with rolled up tin foil or paper. We never taught her how, she just would do it.
08-03-2014, 03:35 AM,
jen_j_26 Offline

For us, it depends on the cat.

We have three, two females and a male. The two females are the oldest, and are the most playful. Poe loves catnip, and will play pretty much daily if we "engage" her. She likes small toys that she can bat around easily, but her favorite is dangling string. Tam will play with ANYTHING. She will even entertain herself with toys; she'll go off and find a ball or something and play with it on her own. She's up for playing pretty much any time you'd want, and will continue to play for a very long time. Usually I get sick of playing with her before she does. Our youngest, the male, is less playful. When he was a kitten he would play and play until he was panting and out of breath! We'd have to make him stop and rest. Now that he's older (he's around 3 years old) he isn't so into toys. He likes to play/wrestle with the girls, but he is much larger than they are, so they don't enjoy it so much. He'll play a little bit, he isn't very interested in balls or toys that you'd throw, but he likes strings and dangling toys. He never plays for long, though.

One toy all of our cats love is a peacock feather! It is long enough to safely play with without getting scratched, and there's just something about feathers that kitties seem to love. We can usually find them fairly cheap at certain pet stores, and a lot of craft stores carry them as well. They will break/get damaged fairly quickly, though, so if your cat likes them then be sure to stock up. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often should cats be fed? brianapaige619 13 5,122 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: jamesformtter55
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,124 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,865 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,336 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,480 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,911 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,128 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,674 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,030 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,039 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,523 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,867 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,633 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,029 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,080 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783