LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone have a Jack Russell Terrier?
06-06-2012, 01:08 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Does anyone have a Jack Russell Terrier?
My latest dog is a Jack Russell Terrier. She is the first small dog that I've owned.

She is full of personality and quite a clown. I'm always laughing at her antics. She can be a bit feisty though. I've got to keep up on the dog training to keep her in line.

Does anyone else own a Jack Russell Terrier? Any other fans of the breed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2012, 10:35 AM,
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Does anyone have a Jack Russell Terrier?
No, I don't own one personally but growing up my best friend had one. She was really full of personality and quite a clown too. She was also really active and jumpy always bouncing from one place to another. I remember it was hard to control her in the car. Everytime we went in my friend's car with her family her fox terrier Foxy would come with us.
06-10-2012, 12:20 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Tajnz, they can be a handful at times. I've heard people say they've had Jack Russell's who were just awful. Mine is feisty, but I try not to let that side of her take over. She can be very sweet and she is very funny.
06-10-2012, 12:29 PM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
We used to have a terrier mix, she displayed a lot of Jack Russel qualities but we believe she also had a lot of Fox and some Wire-Hair in her blood, too. She was a sweetheart, but super bouncy and energetic and also very vocal! In fact she was asked to leave the training class my mother took her to because she wouldn't stop barking all the time, hahaha.

But I am a fan of the breed, they are very fun, loveable, and intelligent dogs. Not for families who prefer the calm and laid back companion they can take the occasional casual stroll with, though! Ours was protective of us and only ever tried to nip or show aggression when she was scared by some loud noise or if we were messing around and having a family play-fight or something...she didn't appreciate those.

Favorite toy was a tennis ball, which she would play with for a little while (with some human to throw it, of course) and then would promptly tear it to shreds. She loved rawhide bones for this purpose. She also liked anything she could play tug-o-war with, and if we let her would run and run for quite a while.
06-10-2012, 05:46 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

ArmyofDreams, She sounds like a wonderful dog, and very much like my Misha. Energetic, bouncy, and vocal! Not only is she vocal (barking), she talks back. I've never had a dog that was so mouthy. She has so many different vocalizations. It makes me giggle because it does sound like she is answering me.

They are very intelligent. A little too much sometimes. You have to keep on your toes because they can think themselves into trouble.

I guess many terriers can look similar. I was walking Misha once when a woman approached with a dog that looked like Misha's twin. Same coloring and spots. I asked her if the dog was a Jack Russell, but she said no. It was a Chihauhau. I wonder if it had some Jack in it. I'd never seen a Chihauhau with those color patterns before.
06-11-2012, 09:05 AM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
Chihuahuas must be pretty versatile for coloring. They are a breed I know next to nothing about except what they look/sound like, but I saw a chihuahua mix (mostly chihuahua) with a brindle coat like a pit bull's.

Ours barked for no apparent reason usually; to yell at the leaves blowing in the wind, to beg for a treat, to tell us that there was still oxygen in the air, etc. And yes, they certainly can get into trouble! But terriers are hilarious, great dogs. Ours would have been really really good at frisbee catch or relay races, if we'd had the time to train her for those.
07-03-2012, 08:39 AM,
louise1341 Offline

Threads: 1
Welcome to the world of the Jack Russell!

I don't have any at the moment but I used to have two and my parents bred and showed them. They are fantastic little dogs with lots of personality and gumption. They can be a bit high maintenance at times and they love the sound of their own voices but what they lack in social skills they make up for in love and loyalty. They are great fun to have around and will keep you entertained with their antics.

What you need to remember about them is that they are bred as working dogs which means that they have to be independent when the need arises and the excessive barking is just a part of their character. Keeping them quiet can be an issue if you live close to other people but with training, plenty of exercise and imaginative ways to entertain them it can be done. Make sure your JR is well socialized with other dogs and the most important thing you can teach her is to come back when she sees something interesting!
07-16-2012, 05:50 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
I had a jack russell terrier mix. She had the body of a JRT, but the coat of a dalmation. They are quite a bit of work, but the good thing about it is they are full of energy into their later years too - which is kind of nice.

The one that we adopted was hit by a car, thats why we ended up taking her in - the original owner could care less, and said we could have her. We made a bed for her to lay in and assumed she wasn't going to make it, and wouldn't you know it a few minutes later we came back to check on her and she was running around in our garage.

They are pretty persistent too if they want to do something, and you're not up for it.
08-11-2014, 11:45 PM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
My daughter and grandson live with me and they have a jack russell terrier mix. He is an extremely active dog. He likes to run around the house a full speed, chase my grandson, dash around the yard and is a huge jumper. He barks at anyone who walks by the yard and will dash out of the house if someone is going by so he can bark and carry on. He actually hears them before they even get into sight! He can be very loving and for some reason prefers me over my daughter and grandson. He will sit at my feet and look at me with adoring eyes and wants to jump up in m lap. Due to his excessive barking I am not particularly fond of him, but for some reason, I seem to be his human of choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My terrier does not travel well. WonkyBear 4 2,776 08-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Last Post: astockd1
  1 year old Jack Russell suddenly cowering and hiding Bumbleski 6 6,905 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Last Post: tierapatt50