LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your pet wear a coat when it is cold outside ?
01-16-2015, 02:39 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Does your pet wear a coat when it is cold outside ?
We have been having an extra cold winter , at least for the South, it was cold. My two little dogs have been staying inside almost all of the time, and when they have to go outside for their chores; they really hurry and run right back inside.
I have dog jackets for both of them; but unless they are going to be outside for more than a few minutes, I have not usually been putting on the jackets. It takes more time putting the jackets on and taking them back off than to just let the dogs outside for their little run.
Before Christmas, we went for an afternoon out and walked around in the woods down by the Tennessee River, and it was a little chilly; but not really cold. Tootsie ran all over the place and didn't seem to be at all cold; but I put the little jacket on Chipper since he is older, and also he just walks along beside me and doesn't run all over like Tootsie.
Some areas have been having a very cold winter, so it seems like a lot of dogs would need to have extra warmth when they go outside.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2015, 01:27 AM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Does your pet wear a coat when it is cold outside ?
My outdoor pets have been cats and they haven't needed much help keeping warm. Our kitty would just hang out in her little bed in the "cat castle" when it was cold. It was kind of like a doc house but on a stand. She was pretty warm inside there because it was a small wood box with a pretty small door. She had really thick fur too.
01-29-2015, 01:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 01:39 AM by Happyflowerlady.)
Happyflowerlady Offline

Cats are amazing that way, and the weather does not seem to affect them as much as it does a dog, unless it is a dog with a very thick coat, like a husky or malamute.
When I lived in the north, it would get very cold, sometimes -20f in the winter, and we would just have to budnle up good to go out and feed the horses, who would all be sheltering in the trees and bunched together to keep as warm as possible.
One day, our cat turned up missing. We hunted all over for her, but with no luck. The next day, I went to get some food out of our freezer, which was on the back porch. There was the cat, lying on the bottom, a little stiff, but fine and actually purring in there.
I have no idea when she got in there, but we must have left the freezer door open, and no one saw her climb in. It was actually warmer in the freezer than the outside air was; but I am sure that she had to be cold in there.
After that, I watched very close any time I had the freezer open, to make sure that Grey hadn't gotten inside it again.
02-07-2015, 02:22 PM,
damiengentle Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Yes, I prefer that my pet must wear any pet coat while he is going outside with me. It gives great look to my pet. Wink
02-10-2015, 10:03 AM,
Dillydally Offline

I have dalmatians and they have no fur on thier bellies so if it's really raining or really cold I will put coats on them. The weather is always terrible where I live so I have a few different jackets for them depending on the season. My only complaint is the lack of choice in colors for my girl dal. All the rain resistant jackets are ugly and masculine or for tiny dogs. Anyone know any good stores I may have missed?
02-10-2015, 06:21 PM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
I have had several cats in my lifetime, but I have never had one that would tolerate clothing, even for the few moments that it might take to snap a photo. They seem to consider that very idea of clothing as being a personal affront. I have tried, and my wife has tried more than once, but it's a no go.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2015, 09:36 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

(02-10-2015, 06:21 PM)kfander Wrote: I have had several cats in my lifetime, but I have never had one that would tolerate clothing, even for the few moments that it might take to snap a photo. They seem to consider that very idea of clothing as being a personal affront. I have tried, and my wife has tried more than once, but it's a no go.
This is an interesting thing, and I really had not even thought about putting a coat on a cat when it was cold outside; and I can just imagine the outraged looks on those little faces when you tried to put a coat on one of them.

The really odd thing about this is that when I was a little girl; I much preferred to play "dolls" with my cat Sambo, than with the regular dolls.
I would put the little doll dresses on Sambo, and then I put her in the little baby buggy that I had that was also supposed to be for a doll, and then I pushed her around in the baby buggy.
Sambo never once objected to being dressed up and carried around by me. She generally purred her way through everything that we did when we were playing.
She wore the little doll bonnets, too.
Actually, she looked very cute in her little babydoll dress, booties, and bonnet.
02-25-2015, 05:32 PM,
mariann Offline

I have two pets and both are dogs. I take care of them in winters and summers both the seasons in very necessary and they wants extra care in these two seasons.
03-23-2015, 08:43 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

I agree that often times, summers are as important as winters are when it comes to taking care of our pets comfort. My Chipper has a long silky coat, and in the summer I usually have it clipped down to help keep him more comfortable. He is usually in the house where it is cooler; but even when he is inside, having the shorter coat is a lot more comfortable for him.
I think that some people only put coats on their dogs to make them look cute, rather than to keep them warm; and as long as the dog is one that doesn't mind being dressed up, then I think that this is fine, too. I have sometimes put on a lightweight jacket on Chipper just because it looked smart on him, even though it was not really, really cold outside.
He seems to know that he is looking good when he is dressed up, and likes to show off.
03-25-2015, 02:53 AM,
Mancini Offline
Registered

Yes, I wear a coat for my pet when I will go anywhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,015 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,061 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,168 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,441 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,481 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,974 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,436 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,174 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,175 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57