LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feline Acne?
01-26-2013, 02:44 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
Feline Acne?
I noticed my female cat had a bit of a smell to her, nothing to bad just a really catty smell. I started googling and the general consensus is cats don't smell, I started looking into things and I have come to the conclusion she has Feline Acne.

She has lots of little spots and black dots on her chin in the hair, she also loves her chin being tickled or rubbed. I have started to clean the area daily with isopropyl alcohol which seems to be helping her out a lot.

Does anyone have experience with Feline Acne or any insider tips on what I can do to help make her feel a bit better?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 09:29 AM,
Kyla Houbolt Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Feline Acne?
Aw, poor kitty! I had a cat who had feline acne once, and yes, keeping the chin clean is a big part of healing it as I recall. I'm not sure alcohol is the best to use, you might want to use just warm water on a washcloth, and soak the area by holding the warm cloth on it a few times a day. (I believe that was what the vet had me do at the time but it was years ago!) Since the alcohol does seem to help, maybe alternate that with the warm washcloth treatment. The reason I suggest that is that alcohol can be so terribly drying and over time might not be so great on a daily basis. I also recall it took quite a while for it to clear up. But eventually, it did.

Good luck!
01-29-2013, 02:35 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Feline Acne?
Yeah, I am not sure what I should really be doing! We started off with Witch Hazel, which maybe I should go back too, because I never even thought of the drying affect of the alcohol, but what you are saying is totally correct! I might try the warm wash cloth as she is such an itchy little thing, or even maybe a baby wipe or something.

Thanks for the tip!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feline HIV remnant 3 2,603 08-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Last Post: TheaR
  Is you feline a bunter and a drooler ? Mels Bee 13 6,058 06-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57