LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox, flying fox
06-21-2012, 11:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
Fox, flying fox
Ahhhh, an amphibian - okay, that clears that up! Thanks! :-)
A flying fox would be awesome! One of my mom's uncles had a pet fox. They lived in Florida I think. I just remember when I was really little they came over for a visit and had a photo of their pet fox & I never forgot what a cool thing I always thought that was!

You have a Tonkinese???? SO DO I!!! (we're talking a cat, right? There's not a reptile breed called Tonkinese, right?) Mine is a DEVIL! But he's sooo sweet too, when he's not tormenting the other animals! He wants to be picked up & held, kissed on & nuzzled, & always wants my undivided attention. He's a character! The hubby hates him, but as bad as he can be, he's really my favorite cat & I love him best! :-)
That's him in the middle of my avatar (he's very teeny, tiny, only 8 lbs, but full of piss & vinegar!). The DSH is on the fireplace & the Eclectus is sitting on the chair arm. The Bengal is nowhere to be seen, as usual, since the Tonk is there! And the Quaker is stuck in her cage, also as usual.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2012, 12:39 AM,
Fishbone Offline

RE: Nereida, my Columbian Tegu
Yes, a cat Big Grin He's mischievous. I'm not sure if he is actually a true tonk, he was an adoption, but he fits the look and personality profile. I'll put some pics up of him soon.
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(06-21-2012, 11:08 PM)laurasav Wrote: Ahhhh, an amphibian - okay, that clears that up! Thanks! :-)
A flying fox would be awesome! One of my mom's uncles had a pet fox. They lived in Florida I think. I just remember when I was really little they came over for a visit and had a photo of their pet fox & I never forgot what a cool thing I always thought that was!

You have a Tonkinese???? SO DO I!!! (we're talking a cat, right? There's not a reptile breed called Tonkinese, right?) Mine is a DEVIL! But he's sooo sweet too, when he's not tormenting the other animals! He wants to be picked up & held, kissed on & nuzzled, & always wants my undivided attention. He's a character! The hubby hates him, but as bad as he can be, he's really my favorite cat & I love him best! :-)
That's him in the middle of my avatar (he's very teeny, tiny, only 8 lbs, but full of piss & vinegar!). The DSH is on the fireplace & the Eclectus is sitting on the chair arm. The Bengal is nowhere to be seen, as usual, since the Tonk is there! And the Quaker is stuck in her cage, also as usual.

Er, is your mom's uncle's pet fox a bat, too? If I haven't got my names mixed up, a Flying Fox looks like this:

[Image: flying+fox+pic.jpg]

It can fly because it's a bat.
06-22-2012, 10:07 PM,
laurasav Offline

Ohhhh, my gosh, that is sooooo COOOOL, Victor! I love bats and THAT one is the cutest I've ever seen! I want one now!!!
No, her uncle's fox was a common fox - no wings! Most people I know don't appreciate bats. I was wondering now what kind of a pet a bat would make, but I just googled "bats as pets" and it is not recommended at all. One site said Australian Fruit Bats or Flying Foxes make the best pets if you're going to get one though. I didn't know a "Flying Fox" was a bat though - LOL! Glad you showed me a photo of one - thanks!
:-)
06-23-2012, 08:31 AM,
purplecapricorn Offline

Threads: 2
(06-21-2012, 11:08 PM)laurasav Wrote: You have a Tonkinese???? SO DO I!!! (we're talking a cat, right? There's not a reptile breed called Tonkinese, right?) Mine is a DEVIL! But he's sooo sweet too, when he's not tormenting the other animals! He wants to be picked up & held, kissed on & nuzzled, & always wants my undivided attention. He's a character! The hubby hates him, but as bad as he can be, he's really my favorite cat & I love him best! :-)
our tonkinese cat sounds like yours! He's the most needy cat I've ever had. I had actually gotten him for "fishbone" but he has pretty much adopted me. Does yours change color too? When we first got him he was mostly cream with the seal point look but now hehas darkened up all over. I will have to put some before and after pics up.. In the cat forum...
06-23-2012, 05:22 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(06-22-2012, 10:07 PM)laurasav Wrote: Ohhhh, my gosh, that is sooooo COOOOL, Victor! I love bats and THAT one is the cutest I've ever seen! I want one now!!!
No, her uncle's fox was a common fox - no wings! Most people I know don't appreciate bats. I was wondering now what kind of a pet a bat would make, but I just googled "bats as pets" and it is not recommended at all. One site said Australian Fruit Bats or Flying Foxes make the best pets if you're going to get one though. I didn't know a "Flying Fox" was a bat though - LOL! Glad you showed me a photo of one - thanks!
:-)

You are welcome. So what does that uncle do with his fox? Does he keep it in a cage or on a leash? Free range?

I haven't heard of anyone having a bat for a pet yet. Not even sure if they can be domesticated.
06-24-2012, 03:25 AM,
laurasav Offline

purplecapricorn (nice to meet fishbone's wife! :-) ) ours is a Champagne Mink and, yes, he was such a pale color when we got him. He started darkening as he aged, like yours. That's what they all do, but I really loved his pale color when he was little. When he was a baby he had his facial point color only on his nose, but now his entire face is dark. His body also darkened from that initial very pale color. He is very beautiful though.
This is from one Tonk site: "Natural Mink Tonks all have aqua coloured eyes (not blue like Siamese) - they are the only cat with that colour eye. Pointed Tonks have bright blue eyes (sky blue to violet) and Solid Tonkinese have chartreuse eyes (green-gold to yellow-green). Their colour deepens (both coat and eyes) and finally matures at about 18 months to 2 years old."
Ours has the aqua eyes. I'll look for your post of your Tonk's photos in the cat forum when you are ready (maybe send me a message?)
Sorry, Fishbone, we've taken over your Columbian Tegu post to talk about cats! ;-)

Victor, I was very young when I met mom's uncle when he came up to Michigan for a visit. He lived in Florida and we never went there to visit him or see his pet fox. I don't know for sure where he kept his fox, but I'm thinking he had it in the house like a cat or dog. I wish I knew more about it - I just remember him showing me a picture of it. He's long dead now (both uncle & fox).

I read people do keep Fruit and Flying Fox bats as pets, but it's not widely recommended as a pet. Probably not a good idea, but still pretty cool if you're able to handle such an animal!
06-25-2012, 04:57 AM,
purplecapricorn Offline

Threads: 2
Nice to meet you to laurasav, I started a thread in the cat forum so we don't keep hijacking this one. I would love to see more pics of yours. His eyes sound gorgeous!
06-25-2012, 09:03 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Fox, flying fox
Ok people. I have moved the hijacking posts to this all new thread from its original thread in the Reptile section. Please stay on the original topic. If there is the need to change the subject completely, you are welcome to start a new thread. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want a Fennec fox pet! maxen57 3 9,198 07-07-2022, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Busbyx