Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Healthy diet for African Grey
08-19-2013, 02:48 AM,
Millenia Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Healthy diet for African Grey
I've tried to get my African Grey to eat a healthy diet but he is a junk food junky. I raised him from a baby and he is now 18 years old. I read all the books and articles at the time to convert him over to the proper diet but he just refused. He wants a seed diet so I buy the best seed diets I can find. Sometimes he'll eat pellets. But he will NOT eat pasta, fresh veggies, boiled egg, nada. He loves coffee, crackers, cereal, and graham crackers. He doesn't get these very often but we like to hand him something every now and then. No, I don't give him coffee but he steals a drink whenever he gets the opportunity.

He won't even taste fresh fruit or veggies, it's like he KNOWS its good for him. Yes, I've tried mixing things together and he just manages to pick around the good stuff. I gave up trying years ago but every now and then I go on a crusade to get him to eat some veggies. He always wins the stand off and I give in and stop putting them in his cage. Sometimes I think I need to get him a buddy to teach him to eat properly.

Anyone have any suggestions? You can't starve a parrot into eating properly so I'm all out of ideas. Lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 12:22 PM,
A0130 Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Healthy diet for African Grey
What you need to make is a chop. A chop is a giant mixture of many different fruits and veggies and nuts. You chop them up (it's easier using a blender at first, then a food processor when he begins to accept the taste of the chop) into pieces too small for him to pick out. You coat the seeds or whatever he likes to eat with the chop, and he is forced to eat it. It may take a while for him to adjust to it, but please try. Some good things to include in a chop:
Almonds
Peppers
Berries
Apples
Oats
Kale/ fresh dark, leafy greens
Pretty much anything except avocado and rhubarb.

If you're unsure of the safety of a food, please Google it and you'll find MANY lists that will address your issue.

Another option is buying vitamin drops. They come in a small white bottle in pet stores (possibly even Walmart), and you add them to his food and water. While it isn't the best option, it is a good way to provide nutrition to your bird when they refuse fresh foods. I am currently using these as I transition my lovebird to fresh foods from a seed diet.

It takes a long time, and lots of patience. When he is hungry, he will eat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The African Grey AnnaU93 5 3,462 03-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jenb128
  African Gray Parrot writer811 7 3,890 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: jenb128