LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I stop this behavior?
12-06-2012, 06:29 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

Threads: 10
How can I stop this behavior?
We've had our Border Collie/Chow mix since May. He is now 20 months. He is the neediest dog I've ever seen. He needs attention almost constantly. That's usually not much of a problem since there are 5-7 of us here all the time. It seems if he thinks he's not getting enough attention, he will go in my younger girls room, pick up toys he can find, walk past you, LOOK at you, then walk to his kennel with the toys. If we don't catch him, he will chew them up. He's destroyed several Barbies. Any ideas how to stop this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2012, 06:09 AM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
RE: How can I stop this behavior?
It's a stage that will develop over time. It's not something that you necessarily can stop. Just like any child, they want attention and to play. You have to take into consideration that your dog is still getting used to being away from his siblings and mother. It's a whole new life that he never expected. Here's the following that I would recommend that may help change your dog's behavorial to some degree:

The first is to buy dog toys specifically made for teething. Usually when puppies are destroying furniture and items is because they are physically developing. The tension of their bones, skin, and even teeth are occurring. If you buy toys that are built for teething, you will not only prevent him from taking other toys, but he'll calm down quite a bit. This next suggestion is definitely a bit out of range, but it couldn't hurt. Having another animal, whether it be a dog or cat, will help the attention problem go away quickly. Yes, he has all of you throughout the day, but there's something special when two of the same kind are mingling. But again, this is a bit out of range, and since you just got a puppy, it would be too soon to get another.

Like mentioned before, this is something that could mainly be grown out of through time. It's developmental. But if you were looking for quick gradual results, my suggestions may help you! Good luck! Smile
12-08-2012, 08:32 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

I had to laugh about having another animal. We have two crabby cats that are 13 and 14. Boy, do they ever hate the dog. lol It's been 7 months and they still can't walk past him without hissing at him. It does take his mind off of stealing the kids toys though. He loves those natural rib bones. I bought him one last night and he almost has it gone. I never knew how much money I'd be spending on bones when I got him. He has a few other bones that are pretty indestructible, but he keeps bringing them outside so we have to constantly go on a bone hunting party. Thanks for the advice!
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM,
themdno Offline

Threads: 0
I do have this problem with one of my dogs, as well. She is just very needy with attention, some times she'll cry and just push her head into you, like 'Pay attention to me, now!'

I'm not quite sure how to break this behavior, I'm still trying to figure that out. So far, I feel like a mix of not paying attention to her, but not for too long, that she gets stressed and chews something. Then, try to lengthen that period of time. Make her be able to handle being on her own for longer stretches, until she realizes she'll get attention eventually anyways.
12-10-2012, 05:18 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

I'm guessing he has probably always been like this. We got him from a rescue who got him from a shelter. His previous owners got rid of him because he was "too pesty". I do wonder if they didn't give him much attention so he started acting like this trying to get attention. I have no idea if we're doing the right thing or not, but when we catch him stealing something to chew on, we sternly tell him now and put him in his kennel for a little while. I'm not sure if it's helping yet or not.
12-10-2012, 05:40 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
My advice keep things that you don't want him chewing on out of his reach. I have several dolls, and stuff animals, but I know to keep them away from my dogs reach. Your dog will learn over time what no means even if it may seem like he doesn't know now. Sometimes it takes a stern tone to tell a dog this,but its the tone that they will respond to and learn that they are doing something wrong.
12-11-2012, 02:13 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

I have 4 kids here all the time, so keeping all toys off the floor is impossible. I guess I'll just have to keep at sternly tell him no. He really does not like to be reprimanded at all. Sometimes I wonder if his previous owners were too rough with him because of his reaction when we reprimand him. He cowers and whines.
12-11-2012, 03:42 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(12-11-2012, 02:13 AM)JaimieSkye Wrote: I have 4 kids here all the time, so keeping all toys off the floor is impossible. I guess I'll just have to keep at sternly tell him no. He really does not like to be reprimanded at all. Sometimes I wonder if his previous owners were too rough with him because of his reaction when we reprimand him. He cowers and whines.

This reminds me of a joke I once read about Collies... they tend to herd things... people and toys alike.

Unfortunately, being needy can be a sign that he lacked socialization during habituation with his original pack (his mom and siblings).

How was he introduced to his crate? Does he know it's supposed to be a place to relax and have his own alone time? Does he have separation anxiety when you guys leave the house?

If he doesn't have separation anxiety then most likely he's just bored. Breeds with Collie genes tend to be bored when they aren't given direction. Do you bring him out for walks?

Walking daily should help but if walks and exercise aren't enough, teaching him to do tricks and some agility activities might be more effective on him.
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Wouldn't the easiest solution be making certain rooms off-limit to your dog? Don't let your dog get into your daughter's room can be a start. Smile

Other solution I can think about is to spray the toys with something to make the dogs never want to touch those toys again.
Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray is one of those products you can use. It smells unpleasant to the dog, yet harmless.
Chew Stop is another product for same purpose.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2012, 02:04 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

The lack of socialization with his first pack is an interesting concept. I wonder if that would also relate to his first owners? I have no idea what they were like, but from what the rescue place knew, it sounded like he was kind of neglected.

I wish it was as easy as not letting him in a certain room. Our house is so small. The girls room has enough room to put their bunk beds and a little kitchen. The toys are in a closet. There isn't enough room for them to play in there. Our livingroom is decent size so they have to play in there.

I bring him out for a daily walk when the weather isn't crappy. Unfortunately, with Wisconsin winters, there are going to be a lot of days the next two months where it's going to be too cold or snowy. Hopefully, I can get him out in the back yard to play with the girls when they are out playing in the snow. I was worried about him getting bored when we can't get out for walks in the winter. He was outside, more than in up until last month when the weather started getting cold.
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM,
FlanneryCam Offline

Threads: 4
Does he get enough exercise? I know that breed needs a ton of really good exercise a day to keep them from being destructive. You could also try kenneling the dog when you're not able to give him attention. Slowly start with 5 minutes in the kennel and work your way up. This could help the dog to understand that some time alone is safe and okay.

But I would really make sure that your dog is getting enough exercise. If he's not, he's got so much energy to burn and will take it out on whatever is around, ie., the Barbies. Do you have a dog park nearby? That might also be a way to teach your dog that he doesn't need to be next to you all the time. Go for a walk in the dog park and see what your dog does when he's off-leash with buddies to play with?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Dog Won't Stop Biting!!!! blackbettie 7 4,174 05-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Last Post: outdoorgal
  Behavior reaction to vaccinations? TreeClimber 0 1,289 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Last Post: TreeClimber
  How to stop dog from licking? johnnysearay 4 2,978 01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: BirdPoo
  How to stop your dog from barking at the door! sandooch 6 3,671 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Last Post: themdno
  How do you get your dog to stop excessively barking? sandooch 5 3,299 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Last Post: pafjlh
  What would you do to stop your dogs from fighting haopee 2 1,898 09-07-2012, 04:29 AM
  How do you convince a friend to stop overfeeding? Kari 9 6,712 08-30-2012, 04:51 AM
Last Post: jester23
  How do you stop dogs from barking? Ram 16 5,656 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: ohiotom76
  Adapting to your dogs needs and behavior TreeClimber 2 2,116 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM