LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How many pets have you had?
12-24-2012, 04:12 PM,
SweetBeast Offline

Threads: 4
How many pets have you had?
I am referring to adult pets, not a litter of pups or kitties, unless you kept any of them & they became your pets. Also include, if you can recall, your family pets while you were living at home. Also, a school of tetras that live a year or so, maybe we don't count, but we had a goldfish for 9+ years, so I count him.

We/I have had, including Bobbi, 23 pets. I can recall each & everyone of them, but due to space limitations & perhaps lack of interest by now, I won't name them all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2012, 04:53 AM,
Molly Offline

RE: How many pets have you had?
My parents didn't let my brothers and I have dogs until we were old enough to take care of them, feeding them etc. The first dog grew too big for my younger brother to handle, became aggressive to small children, and he also had some health issues. Sadly, my parents had to take him to the animal shelter. My dad vowed he would never do that again, even for a dog with issues, because we knew he would probably be put to sleep.

The next dog did have a litter of eight, we kept one of those puppies. My older brother bonded with that puppy. Then we had to move to a smaller place and could only keep a smaller dog. We found wonderful homes for those dogs.

We had that smaller dog for a few years. Not sure what happened to that dog.

Then, I got a puppy just for me. I was so happy. I trained my puppy. I joined a 4H Dog Club and we had such great fun. We qualified for state two years in a row. Then he had some serious health issues and had to be put to sleep. He was dying anyways. I was heart broken.

Then we moved again, I graduated and moved out. And now, I am living on my own with my two dogs. Can't be happier with my two dogs.
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM by SweetBeast.)
SweetBeast Offline

Hi Molly! I am so sorry to learn of the do you had who passed who, it seems, was taken too early from you. I, & my family growing up, had always had our pets for an average of about 15-17 years. My cat Tawnee lived 19 years to the day I adopted her & her sister, Tanja., Sadly, Tanja was called Home at 9 & 1/2, Sande, our Malamute mix only lived 5 years & a year ago, Smokee was called Home at only 7 & 1/2. But we try & convince ourselves we are fortunate we had them as long as we did. I do realize this to be true, but still doesn't help in the grieving, well, not for me at least.

I am so glad to know you have your 2 with you now, to keep you company, & keep their lungs in shape, God forbid they would ever have to do so.

I do believe we will be reunited with our furry families! & I talk them all daily, for a few minutes when I walk Bobbi.

Please remind me of your 2 furry four footers?!

Thanks Molly :-)
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM,
Tagged7 Offline

Threads: 3
I've had 9 adult pets, 1 turtle, 3 cats, 5 dogs. One of the books that I've read had a real interesting view of life after death regarding not only pets, but animals in general. So, I wouldn't really be surprised at all if one day I see all of my pets again and much, much more!
12-28-2012, 03:08 PM,
SweetBeast Offline

Hey Tagged, thanks for sharing! Can you share which book to which you refer? I have several Pet Loss books, so I'm just curious.

For me, I read a query of the Reverend Billy Graham, & his answer to the question of "will I be reunited with my pet in Heaven?", he replied to the effect, that God wants us happy in Heaven, & if having our pets there, will make us happy, then in Heaven they will be. I hold on to this each & everyday.
12-29-2012, 11:17 AM,
teamrose Offline

We've had so many pets it's hard to remember them all. Does one count all the strays that we feed almost daily? Most of them never got a name. However, if we count only the house and yard pets...
We've always had at least one or 2 dogs every since I can remember. So I guess that would be about 10 dogs. A talking parrot, 3 cats and numerous gerbils.
12-29-2012, 01:37 PM,
Tagged7 Offline

(12-28-2012, 03:08 PM)SweetBeast Wrote: Hey Tagged, thanks for sharing! Can you share which book to which you refer? I have several Pet Loss books, so I'm just curious.

For me, I read a query of the Reverend Billy Graham, & his answer to the question of "will I be reunited with my pet in Heaven?", he replied to the effect, that God wants us happy in Heaven, & if having our pets there, will make us happy, then in Heaven they will be. I hold on to this each & everyday.

Sorry SweetBeast... took a while to get through the Holiday season. Yup, the book that I referred to is called "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2...ooks%2C244
This is the link to Amazon, so you can see what it looks like. You might be able to get it cheaper at eBay or somewhere else, but you can at least read the description of it here and see what it visually looks like. Let me know if ya' have any questions, K?
12-30-2012, 02:30 AM,
froncikle Offline

Threads: 2
I've had at least one pet trough my life. Thinking back I can count about 20 cats and 7 dogs. If I count only the pets I personally cared for (feeding, vet, etc.) it would be only two dogs and two cats. As a kid my grandmother a huge number of cats, sometimes up to twelve at a time! On top of that she also had two dogs Smile. I loved playing with dogs more than cats, but both were always fun Smile.
02-05-2013, 06:31 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
Wow! I see everyone has had soo many pets in their lifetime!Haha
I have had only one cat and she is currently doing very well. I got her when she was still a kitten from an animal shelter and we have been inseperable since.\
I love her very much and hope she will live many many more healthy years as all your pets as well!
02-15-2013, 01:30 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Let's see, thoughout my life (including childhood), I've had 6 cats, 5 guinea pigs, 4 hamsters, 2 turtles, 1 frog, 1 anole, 3 birds, and countless fish. That adds up to 22 pets, plus the fish. I had the vast majority of those animals when I was a kid. Since adulthood, I've just had 4 cats and a bird. I'd like to have more pets, but the husband's allergies prevent that (he can only handle two or three animals at a time).
02-16-2013, 10:53 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
i have had 7 dogs and 3 cats, 2 parrots and 2 horses, 2 turtles and 3 chipmunks. The chipmunk's mom was killed by a car so we raised them up and let them go. Had other wild animals that were not really pets but stopped in to get fed or visit. Sometimes the ones that are not true pets are the ones that enrich your life just by watching them run and play.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM,
ChanellG Offline

Threads: 1
Wow, from childhood until the last dog, I'd say I had at least a dozen or so. Of course I can't quite remember them all; there were several dogs, a rabbit... a couple of cats... I always wanted fish, but it seemed like a lot of work to maintain the tank.
03-01-2013, 09:28 AM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
In my entire life I have had 9 cats, 1 dog, 3 bettas, 3 hermit crabs, and I lost count of the feeder goldfish I've kept as pets, but I've had one 1 pleco, 2 fantail goldfish and 1 bubble eye goldfish.
I'm in my late 30's and I've never really taken a count like this. It looks like a lot of pets when I see it all written out like this.
03-20-2013, 09:50 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I've had 8 dogs since I was a child and my latest is a chow. My other dogs were my family's dogs so although we lived in one house I played with them more than I took care of them. My last two dogs including this one I have at present are really mine and only with them have I experienced what friends use to say that they feel like your kids. Some might not understand that but for me its true.
03-21-2013, 06:15 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
As a child my family and I had 2 dogs. We had the mongrel pup after losing our cocker spaniel. We also had 2 goldfish. I always wanted to have pet mice but I had to be satisfied with helping the boy next door look after his, because my mother refused to let me keep them in the house.

As an adult I have had many guinea pigs. I cannot recall exactly how many, but they shared hutches and enclosures with my rabbits. I also had 2 budgies, a canary and a variety of small finches. All these were rescue pets from a local animal shelter. My cat came to me after being found apparently without a home, and the dog was too much for his previous owners to handle.

I guess I have had around 20 pets so far in total, but more if I count some of the animals I cared for in my home until they were rehoused.
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM,
RiF Offline

Threads: 0
Oh dear. Let me see: 2 Basset Hounds, 14 budgerigars, one of which was as friendly as a dog, 2 horses(french saddle horse and french trotter), 1 senegal parrot, 1 blue crowned conure, one bunny, two hamsters, 1 schnauzer, 1 lamb.

If you're wondering about the lamb, my grandmother gave her to me out of the blue. She was adorable and followed me around(it was heartbreaking to leave her on a room next to the garage at night, she wanted to come with me so badly), but we had to give her away to a farm owning lady eventually because we didn't have proper conditions for her(we had a huge terrain for her, but lambs can't graze on garden grass).
04-18-2013, 11:31 PM,
mariposa Offline

Threads: 8
I've enjoyed reading all these responses! Growing up, my family just had one dog the whole time. She was a part beagle and my brothers were allowed to have her when they were responsible enough to take care of her. My mom told us we spoiled that dog too much, but then she turned around and helped in spoiling her so we knew it was just an act! :-)

Fast forward to now... we have just one cat. Her mother abandoned her on our porch years ago and it's been a spoil-fest around here ever since! We're her staff and she knows it. Since I was never much of a pet person before and totally melted to it now, I often wonder how I went those years between my childhood and now without having a furbaby to love and spoil. :-)
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM by kindredsoul.)
kindredsoul Offline

Video  RE: How many pets have you had?
Let's see I had a dog named Frosty when I was eight or nine. He was well-trained. And then I had another dog named Shasta. A really nice Golden Retriever mix. My friend and I were on a walk with Shasta before he was named. I asked her to help me pick a name and she said, "Well, he is white like snow. How about snow?" I yelled out "Snow," but nothing happened. So then she said, that maybe he could be named Shasta after Mt. Shasta, because it is a place with a lot of snow. When I yelled out, "Shasta!" Shasta ran back towards me. That's how I named him Shasta. And he was dog number two. Since that time, I can't remember all the dogs I have had because a lot of them were short-term strays. But I would have to say around 20 dogs. Oh, and one cat, Annabella. And a big lizard and a small anole and a bird.
03-24-2014, 08:26 AM,
nwitt Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Growing up, we had 3 dogs and 3 cats.

As an adult, I've owned 3 cats - 1 had to be put down after her 4th year - we found out she had cancer and even attempted exploratory surgery, but they said it was too late Sad We still have the other 2 though.

I am a huge cat lover.
03-28-2014, 05:13 AM,
Padwolf Offline

I've had quite a few in my 22 years. I've had about 3 dogs so far, and about 5 cats. I have loved each and every one of them and I never shall forget the ones that have passed, they are always in my heart. Growing up, the house always has had an animals. I can't live without them really. I moved out a year ago and had to leave my 2 dogs and 3 cats behind with my parents. It's near impossible to live without my pets. It hurts. However me and my boyfriend have a hamster and he is adorable and I love him more than anything! He is a great little buddy.
04-03-2014, 03:11 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
Let's see, throughout my entire life I've had the following pets. I don't count them if I released them into the wild after a week, like bunnies etc.

Golden retriever - parents brought him before or after I was born. Great dog, his name was Bandit. He died when our neighbors left out anti-freeze in a water dish.

Poe - Mom my cat adopted from the parking lot at a school. We had him for a year but he ran away.

Jupiter - Australian shepard we got in 94. Had him until 98 when we moved and he was an outside dog so the experience was traumatic for him so he ran away. Sad

Elmo - Longest lived pet, had him for 15 years.

Lux - Golden retriever, still kicking. Brought her in 01.

Oscar - orange kitty, brought him in 2010 a month after Elmo passed.

Steve and Hermin - Two hermit crabs I had for a good 3 years.

Curtis - Huge corn snake my dad had, awesome pet. I can't remember if we gave him away or if he died. This was back in the mid 90s.

Prudence - Siamese fighting fish we had. Died after a year and we got Elmo.
04-10-2014, 07:20 PM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
Over the years since childhood, from puppies or kittens, I have had five dogs, five cats, two rabbits and families of pet mice. In my teens I also started keeping tropical and coldwater fish which some ten years later I turned into a twenty year retail business. I also had a couple of large aviaries at home which again over the years housed a wide variety of birds from finches and canaries to cockatiels and parrot-like. At one time I also had a loft of racing pigeons.
04-25-2014, 10:16 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I am really not sure how many pet that I have had, but it was quite a few over the years.
Actually, I have mostly lived out in the country; so there were usually the farm critters as well. I have enjoyed these usually as much as the more conventional pets, and my very favorite was the llama.
I am not quite sure whether he fits into the category of livestock or a pet; but for me, he was just a pet, since I didn't do anything with him besides just enjoy having a llama.
He would come right into the house with me; and lie down on the rug. When he talked, he made a kind of whining/humming noise; so that was how I "talked" back to him. In the morning, I would go out to the pasture and call him, and he would always come running right up to me, and greet me with a soft llama-kiss.
05-02-2014, 06:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM by KittyReeves.)
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
So far in my life, I believe we had at least 20 something cats. Most of our cats were supposed to be temporarily hosted here until they found new homes, but none of them found them, so they ended up becoming ours.

Every single one of the cats I've had of the course of my life were all cast offs. They were the cats that no one wanted, because of age, or temperament, or they looked "odd", or the original owners just decided that having a cat was to much work and dumped them. Angry

And every single cat we had we unique in their own ways, and all came out of their shells with a little time and effort. They were all sweet cats, even the formerly feral ones, and even the ones who remained scared and skittish for the entire time they were here.
02-03-2016, 05:48 AM,
thash1979 Offline

This is going to sound so cat crazy, but a couple years ago on our farm, we had an explosion of furbabies. We had our full grown Great Dane, and then we had 4 female cats give birth to a total of 17 kittens all within a week. Since we were on an 8 acre farm, we decided to not get rid of any kittens because due to population control of other animals maybe eating them or getting hut in the road. I did try to supplement their feasts of mice in the barns with cat food, which usually took around 15lbs a week! It was crazy wild for a couple months, but slowly we lost a few and were back down to a total of 9 animals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,716 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,646 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,778 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,617 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,831 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,574 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,027 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,507 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant