LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often should cats be fed?
04-01-2014, 12:27 AM,
brianapaige619 Offline

Threads: 1
How often should cats be fed?
My kittens have gotten into the habit of begging for food any time someone walks too close to their food dishes. It's an absolutely heartbreaking sight. They act as if they never get fed and are starving to death. Since they are both still fairly young, I feed them wet food three times a day, and they have a constant supply of dry food. Should they be getting more? If try to give them another can of food they may take a few bites and then it will sit there until I throw it away. I'm constantly paranoid that maybe they aren't getting enough food.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 12:31 AM,
skywatcher Offline

Threads: 0
RE: How often should cats be fed?
Based on the number of times you feed them, and the availability of the food, I think you're feeding them enough. I think cats have tendencies to be sensitive of what others eat, so I think they have this curious desire of eating what everyone else eats. This is what usually happens to the cats in my bestfriend's house, but I also see them being regularly fed.
04-06-2014, 02:46 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
(04-01-2014, 12:27 AM)brianapaige619 Wrote: My kittens have gotten into the habit of begging for food any time someone walks too close to their food dishes. It's an absolutely heartbreaking sight. They act as if they never get fed and are starving to death. Since they are both still fairly young, I feed them wet food three times a day, and they have a constant supply of dry food. Should they be getting more? If try to give them another can of food they may take a few bites and then it will sit there until I throw it away. I'm constantly paranoid that maybe they aren't getting enough food.

My cat use to do the exact same thing and it was part of the reason why we switched to dry food later. He still pulls that whole "pity me, master, please share some of your fair viddels" but he gives up the act when no one pays him any heed and he goes back to eating his dry food.
04-10-2014, 09:12 AM,
Sweetkymom Offline

My mom feeds her cats wet food twice a day and they have a container of dry food available all day long. They also have a water supply all day along with a bowl of kitty milk with supper. You are feeding your kitties more than enough.
04-22-2014, 06:12 AM,
Meowmie Offline

Threads: 4
I only feed my cats dry food, and we have an 'open bowl' but since my cats are Persians, and very picky, the will only eat the food for the first 3 minutes after it is put in the bowl, the rest is considered "old" and won't be eaten. I asked my cats how often they feel a cat should be fed, and the answer was unanimous. ANY time they are asked to be served fresh food. bowdown

Seriously, if they are that hungry and dry food is out, and if they only eat a bit of it if you open a new can, I'd say you are feeding them plenty. Thumbsup
04-30-2014, 11:39 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
My step-mother does that with her cat, and as a result, her cat is spoiled and bad tempered. Cats only need to be fed twice a day; we usually give them a small bowl of dry foods in the morning, and a bowl of dry food in the evening. Over feeding them isn't good, because your cats will become over weight. And feeding them every time them meow at you teaches bad behavior, and makes your cats spoiled and bad-tempered. My step-mothers cat being the case in point!

Also, since they're so little, it's better to try and "train" them now. I think you'd be just fine feeding them wet food twice a day, and leaving a bowl of dry food for them to munch through out the day if they feel like it. Smile
05-01-2014, 01:45 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
It sounds like your cats have simply learned that they can beg for food whenever they see you in the kitchen, and are now doing that whether they are actually hungry or not. Basically, by feeding them whenever they do this, you have been rewarding that behavior, and have actually taught them to do this.
Now, you need to take steps to un-train the behavior; or it will continue. So, firstly; stop rewarding the meowing, don't feed them every time they do it. In fact, feeding them dry food that can sit in the bowl, will help a lot. That way, you know that they can have food if they are actually hungry. Feed them the canned food only once or twice a day, on the schedule you want to establish.
Soon the cats will learn that they are not going to be fed, and will stop yowling for food.
11-27-2020, 09:00 AM,
EmmaWilliam Offline

i feed my cats three times a day with raw food
02-19-2021, 05:22 PM,
HemmyngsKylee Offline

I give them dry food and they come to eat when they are hungry.
10-17-2021, 07:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 07:03 PM by CodyCobey.)
CodyCobey Offline

It depends on their ages. Likewise, before the age of six months, you should feed them thrice a day, and after the age of six months to maturity, you can feed them twice a day. You can also feed grownup cats twice a day, according to many medical studies. However, it is also important what you are giving your cats in meals.

I would like to recommend that you shouldn't stick with a single type of meal and must do variations. I noticed that people advice to stay away from dry food, but it is also essential. Even you can mix well-reputed dry foods like these https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-dry-cat-food/ with wet food or food with some moisture. Similarly, you also can't only depend on canned food. You should also cook food at home for your cats. Mainly, raw meat is vital for them.
05-31-2022, 07:46 AM,
Busbyx Offline

I feed my cats three times a day. It seems to me they are okay about it.
05-31-2022, 07:55 PM,
Gibbto Offline
Registered

My cats are independent. They come when they want. I do give them wet food three times a day, and leave some dry food to snack whenever they want.
06-24-2022, 11:43 PM,
jamesformtter55 Offline
Registered

The pleasure is all mine, and I am grateful that you could make it.

Due to the fact that this is my first time using this petskeepersguide.com forum, I'd want to begin by introducing myself and then asking a question.

My name is Clarice, and I have the pleasure of being the happy owner of two amazing animals. This is the week that she celebrates her birthday, and her breeds are a Munchkin and a British Shorthair. Both Jojo and Bella are currently 21 weeks old and have been given the names Jojo and Bella respectively. cats that are of the same breed. In December of 2021, sadly, their mother passed away from natural causes. Despite this, I have no doubt that she is still very much present in all of our thoughts and feelings.

I have a soft spot for animals and think that they should be considered one of the world's most valuable assets. If we could just learn a few things from them, it would be to everyone's advantage in the long run.

I am a pet photographer that specializes in the documentary and candid styles of photography when it comes to capturing animals, especially animals in their natural environments. Make it a priority to be as genuine and unaffected as you possibly can.

Let me ask you guys one more question: do you think it would be okay if I got a Boxer puppy for my Munchkin cat or my British Shorthair? I'm planning on acquiring one shortly.

I am sending you greetings on behalf of the furry members of our family, and I look forward to talking to you very soon. mylanepd-wa.company.com
06-25-2022, 08:25 AM,
jamesformtter55 Offline
Registered

I was wondering if you could tell me whether or not Munchkin Cats get along well with Boxer Puppy because I'm planning on getting one soon. I'm simply curious to know if anyone has any suggestions for me on that matter. It will be of great assistance. Myland Cattery to get more information

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,124 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,865 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,336 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,480 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,910 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,128 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,674 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,030 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,039 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,523 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,867 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,632 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,029 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,080 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783
  Retirement Funds for Cats Bloomsie 6 3,509 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Last Post: KerriFL