LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your pet afraid during thunderstorms ?
08-20-2014, 01:31 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Is your pet afraid during thunderstorms ?
Thunderstorms seem to terrify some dogs,a dn others are not bothered by them at all. Chipper could care less if it is storming or not (at least as long as he doesn't have to go outside and go to the bathroom in the pouring rain), and he just curls up beside me the same as always and lets the storm rage outside.
When we have storms coming in, I usually take the dogs outside just before the rain comes so they can actually do any bathroom chores before the storm starts and not need to go outside again until the storm has passed over and the rain has stopped.
We used to have a little Pekinese mix, and that poor little dog was just terrified whan we had any loud noises. the friday night ball games at the nearby ballpark usually ended with fireworks, and if she happened to be outside, she was attacking the screen door to be let in at the first boom of the fireworks.
Holidays like the Fourth of July, she pretty much lived in the house (under the bed preferably) and only went out for necessary bathroom trips.
What does your pet think about storms and fireworks ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2014, 03:36 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Is your pet afraid during thunderstorms ?
Sadie is not real fond of thunder. The last big thunderstorm we had, there was a huge clap of thunder and she was up over the arm of my computer chair in a flash!! She stayed there until the rain stopped.
08-21-2014, 03:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014, 03:43 AM by JudyCap.)
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
My little dog, Lil Bit could care less about the storms, and like yours does not like to go out during the rain.
On the other hand, my neighbor, Brendan, has a big Golden Retriever and sometimes another guest dog at his house, Cooper is a big black lab. Both of them are afraid of storms. If they are out, and a storm hits, I will go and get them and bring them into my house. (Brendan and Rick, they guy that owns the black lab both work all day. I am home all day so watch out for the dogs for them) I am sure Lil Bit is thinking what sissies you guys are. LOL
Rofl
Lastnight during the night there was a huge thunder storm, the thunder shook my bed. Imediatly I thought of Scooter, the Retriever chicken dog. But knew Brendan was home, and Scooter was probably in bed with Brendan! He gets that way. Big Chicken!
It is funny how a little dog like mine doesn't care if it thunders, and where the big dogs like Scooter and Cooper get freaked out about them/
09-18-2014, 09:59 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
My family owns six dogs. Some of them are afraid of thunderstorms, while the others are not that afraid. One of our dogs, named Sheena (a pitbull) becomes really terrified when it is raining. She would run around seeking shelter even if she is inside the house already. One time, it was raining so hard, thunder was roaring every few minutes. Sheena ran around the house that she almost hit my 80-year old grandma. Thankfully, she didn't get hurt.
09-19-2014, 10:53 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
It is interesting how some dogs are bothered by thunder storms, and even terrified of the noise, while other dogs seem to not care at all. We used to have a Pekingese mix that was absolutely terrified by any loud noises. When the schools have their ball games, and shoot off fireworks afterwards, she would be clawing at the back door to get in if she was outside, and usually either hiding under the bed, or curled up beside my chair if she was inside.
We used to live out in the country, and next to the shooting range, and I think she probably wandered over there, and then the shooting started, and she ran home in a panic, thinking that she was being shot at.
When she was little the storms didn't seem to bother her, but after she got older, and would chase the wild rabbits through the woods, I think that is when she went next door and thought that someone was shooting at her.
09-26-2014, 11:31 AM,
Danyel72 Offline

Threads: 2
We have 4 pets... 2 dogs and 2 cats.Smile Bella, our older dog, is terrified of thunderstorms and heavy rain. I feel so sad for her. She tries to hide and barks every single time she hears thunder. She get so anxious she doesn't know what to do really. Our younger dog, Jeter, could absolutely care less. Funny how pets can be so different. Jeter acts just like he does any other time... not a care in the world.

Our cats, Sushi and Wasabi, only get scared if the thunder is super loud. They try to hide and just look kind of out of sorts.

Thankfully the thunderstorms usually don't last for too long. We always put the music or the TV on loud to muffle out the sounds of the storm.

Danyel Smile
09-28-2014, 09:19 PM,
cyberpuppet Offline

Threads: 7
My cats do not seem particularly bothered by thunder - I cannot say I have seen them reacting when they are in the house and I can only presume they are OK when they are out because unless they are sat on the garden wall they do not come running it but just turn up afterwards same as usual.

It can be different with dogs though and I have to say I think in a significant number of cases dogs take their cues from humans. I have not had a dog scared of thunder - but then I deliberately trained them not to afraid. As soon as a thunderstorm came up (not massively common around here, maybe half a dozen a year if that) if I had a new dog, be it puppy or a re-homed, I would put the lead on and fill my pockets with treats and go out for a walk. Every flash of lightening and every clap of thunder resulted in the dog getting a treat. By the end of the storm I would have a dog that even if not thinking thunder equated to Christmas was certainly not scared. After that although I would deliberately walk in thunder if time was appropriate I could stay indoors and just give the odd reward for a particularly loud bang.

I think one of the big mistakes people make is to reassure new re-homed dogs or puppies if they seem scared of thunder - from the dogs point of view they look to a human as pack leader and if something makes them nervous scared the reassurance translates as the pack leader telling them they are right to be nervous or scared. If on the other hand the human does not react or starts a game or gives a treat it tells the dog the pack leader is not worried so they do not have to be worried.

Of course these are just general - if I came across an animal that was already terrified of storms when I met it then taking it for a walk and giving treats would not work I would have to take smaller steps. If it is a new puppy though I train it to associate thunder with treats.
02-22-2015, 10:32 AM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
My cats couldn't care less about storms.They'll sit and look out the windows.Our dogs, on the other hand, are terrified! They run around barking and shaking. I heard that if you rub them down with a fabric softener sheet, it decreases the static electricity in the air and keeps them calmer. I'm going to try this next time we have a storm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,020 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,064 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,633 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,586 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,179 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,443 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,977 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,720 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,201 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,439 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,082 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,176 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,178 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57