LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Biel practices animal cruelty...
07-13-2013, 04:59 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
Jessica Biel practices animal cruelty...
I just recently read in the news that Jessica Biel has come under criticism from animal lovers after some pictures surfaced of her dogs wearing shock collars while she was walking them. Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake own both a Pit Bull and a Boxer. What do you guys think about this? In my opinion, I think media should back off with all the accusations against Jessica. I feel that she is just being a responsible pet owner and is just taking normal precautions while walking those particular breeds in public. Those breeds get so much media hate as it is and she probably just didn't want to take any chances.

So many people claim that both those breeds are naturally aggressive and mean, when in reality it is all in how they are raised. With that being said, you still have to take precaution. If you see the pictures, you will see that both of these dogs are very big dogs and are obviously very strong. In the event that for some reason either one of these dogs, or both dogs, wanted to go after something, someone or another dog, Jessica clearly would have a difficult time controlling them and holding them back. This is when the shock collars would be used to safely avoid a potentially bad situation. You never know what will provoke a dog. Not just a boxer or pit, ANY dog. ANY dog can snap and attack. Naturally some attack results or more severe than others when you are comparing the damage that a 3lb chihuahua can do with a Pit. I think pet owners and animal lovers just need to use a little common sense sometimes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 07:27 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
RE: Jessica Biel practices animal cruelty...
I think people who are ignorant about Jessica Biel will certainly criticize her heavily. I think they should read about her before they judge others. This is the person who provides her dogs with ample exercise. She even joins dog walks and support adoption. She tweets about them and those dogs don't look traumatized if you ask me.

Harsh as it may sound, some owners do use shock collars because it has proven effective on them. This is to keep their dogs safe. Other owners have even made sure that they try it themselves first before they put it on their dogs. With proper training, a shock collar can be a good reinforcing tool (this means I don't advocate in using it 24/7). Honestly, I'd rather use shock collars than surrender my dogs to animal control because they ended up attacking someone.

As much as we want a perfect life with our pet pals, sometimes this may not be the case (especially for dogs from pounds and shelters). So rather than complain about such fact, why not take action? I believe it's an owner's responsibility to protect their pets and, at the same time, the people and animals around their pets.

So before we pass on judgment, I think we should research on it from different perspectives such as this Dog Shock Collar article.
07-19-2013, 04:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013, 04:04 AM by cliverederson.)
cliverederson Offline

Threads: 5
I don't think we can necessarily judge because we don't really know how she's using them. It seems from the video no one has actually seen her shocking the dogs, they just have the collars on. If she just has them on her dogs in case of like an emergency type situation, like if the dog attacked someone, but she never uses them otherwise, I guess that's ok in that situation. I disapprove of using shock collars for general training though, I do think it's cruel to do to an animal when most dogs can just learn from praise and treats (combined with a some patience). Maybe Jessica just fears not being able to control such a large dog if something were to happen, god forbid. I don't think that's unreasonable as a precaution. Let's hope that's all it is. I would be worried about controlling a pitbull in public too honestly, but I wouldn't own one for that reason. I like having a small dog I know I can control, haha.
07-24-2013, 12:30 PM,
Death2Housework Offline

Threads: 2
I think any tool that doesn't cause pain (and not all shock collars cause pain), and works, is acceptable. I, too, hate the fact that certain dog breeds get a bad reputation. I think of it as "Breed Profiling" and the sad fact is, it's not accurate. As many dogs as I've been around in my life, I've been bitten by only three. One was a heeler mix on farm. One was a cocker spaniel/poodle cross. Only one was a "dangerous" breed, a Doberman, but it wasn't the breed that bit me. It was an insecure dog protecting his space. I think the most extreme thing I did was physically tie a dog to me so it had to stay by my side. I did that because she was almost feral and had no interest in people or what they wanted. She just ran from window to window and did what ever she wanted, so I tied her to me so she didn't have the option of running all over. To this day, I don't know why it worked, but it did. She's a lovely little house dog with a forever home, now. I haven't had a reason to use a shock collar, but if I felt I needed to, I would.