LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving a radio/TV on while gone away for the day?
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
Leaving a radio/TV on while gone away for the day?
Do you think it helps the dogs while the owners are away to leave a radio on or a television?
There are times I will go out for a bit and leave the tv on for them. I think it makes me feel better but I wonder if they even care!
My kids will try to find the "right" show for them which is cute. I am curious if it really works to help them feel better while owners are out?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
RE: Leaving a radio/TV on while gone away for the day?
It actually works for some owners. The noise from the TV keep the dog distracted while they are away. Also, some dogs like interacting with the TV since it's like a toy with pictures. Unfortunately, sometimes, it causes an obsessive habit which is why it is better to mix and match distractions rather than use just one. Also, there are TV shows meant for dogs like the bouncing ball film (I don't know the actual title but I saw one for cats).

Here's a wheaten Scottie who just loves his Animal Planet.

Just in case you ran out of ideas, you could give them a Kong and fill it with their favorite treats. Sometimes, slathering the insides with Peanut butter or cheese spread will do the trick.
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
RE: Leaving a radio/TV on while gone away for the day?
I think the radio is a fine idea, because he will hear the music or people talking and it has a calming effect on the animal. He is less likely to be barking at people outside and might think your still around. Music cd's or putting a movie on tv works well. We have a police/scanner and that helps calm our cat into thinking someone is home all the time. Some people play cd's of raining or waterfall sounds, or birds singing. All are good distractions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pamper Your Pets on National Dog Day! Snowflakes 0 2,078 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Birth of 12 puppies! We had a great day today suzjbibby 1 1,864 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Last Post: 4sweed
  How Are Your Dogs This New Years Day? pafjlh 4 2,901 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Last Post: mz_angie1987
  How many times a day do you feed your pooch? Pocs 12 3,969 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Last Post: MysteriousMommy