LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a pond from a swimming pool ? ?
12-02-2014, 03:28 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Making a pond from a swimming pool ? ?
We have been thinking of using a small above ground swimming pool to make a fish pond with,and I wonder if anyone knows anything about doing that kind of thing ?
I have read about people who grow their own fish for food right in the back yard, and some of them also recycle the water into container gardens, especially ones that are hydroponic containers.
We want to have a small pond out by the front deck with aquarium plants, and hopefully, some goldfish, just to watch and enjoy; but I would also like to have a larger pond out back and raise catfish in it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 02:14 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Making a pond from a swimming pool ? ?
You can convert a swimming pool into a fish pond. All you need is to have a fish pond filter, and maybe some cover for the pool.
The filter system is mandatory for keeping the ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm for the pond. There are some such filters for sale on Amazon.com. A few models are made to look like a fountain which is perfect for a fish pond.

One majority problem with the outdoor pond is that it can easily be overrun by algae since it usually gets a lot of sunlight exposure. Too much light always translate to too much algae. It is the best to have something over it, like a large tree or maybe build a bridge or other structures over it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 08:30 AM,
cyberpuppet Offline

Threads: 7
I have known it done where a swimming pool was turned into a small lake for people to fish from. I only knew it as the fishing lake but was told the history by some of the other people that fished there. It had been quite well landscaped so it did not appear square or anything and the only real give away was the depth. When I was fishing it there were carp over 20lb and plenty of other smaller species. Being a fishing lake it was not filtered or anything and seemed fine so obviously it can be done. I think domestic fish may need the filtration but that is easy enough to do.
12-08-2014, 11:43 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I actually found direction for raising the catfish in a swimming pool online at E-How. It seems pretty simple to do. We have a wholelot of trees in the yard, so finding a shady place for the pool should not be a hard thing to do.
On the side of the house (north) that is the very shadiest, we have an outside electrical outlet; so that would also be the best place to be able to plug in the pump and filter.
The directions say that you should drain out about 1/3 of the water from the bottom of the pond every week, and that should be wonderful to use watering my cucumbers and tomatoes as well. I would not have to set up the whole hydroponics plan if I just followed these instructions and then drain the extra water with a hose out onto where I want to water.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5745708_raise-ab...-pool.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pond pumps GreenAmy 1 1,074 03-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Thor
  My pond fish are disappearing - is it the frog? Kari 5 5,629 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Last Post: cyberpuppet
  How to start a fish-pond? tess pfeif 1 2,411 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Thor
  Make a small pond from a tire. Happyflowerlady 2 2,435 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Question Goldfish & Koi as Pond Pets 4sweed 6 7,043 01-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Last Post: TheBrit
  Would you consider pond fish pets? gwydion 13 5,392 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: BWP
Question What filter is everyone using for your aquarium or pond? Ram 0 2,342 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Ram