LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it normal for a guinea pig to jump and fly through the air for someone?
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
Is it normal for a guinea pig to jump and fly through the air for someone?
My daughter is 11 and about 3 months ago got her first guinea pig. She is thrilled with him. Henry is a match made in heaven for her. He is outgoing and just loves to be with her.

Now, there are 4 others of us in the house who hold him, feed him and just love the little guy. But this is the part I have a question about.

When she walks not the room, he perks up and starts looking for her. If she leaves the room he will watch her leave the room and just sit there after she leaves.

When she goes to pick him up he will actually leap into her arms! I mean really jump!
He has shocked us at times because she will say "Henry, come on " and no kidding he will run and fly into her arms, he jumps towards her body and she catches him.

Is this normal for a guinea pig to jump and fly through the air for someone? He adores her, and she spends a lot of time with him. In fact he has his own picture set up on my Facebook page of him being dressed in some little hats and scarves.

I have never heard of this before, just wondering if anyone has ever seen this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 12:04 AM,
suzjbibby Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Is it normal for a guinea pig to jump and fly through the air for someone?
I've not seen a guinea pig jump like that towards someone but I have noticed that they will respond to someone they have bonded with, getting excited in their presence and squealing out for attention. i think guniea pigs make great companions and I can just picture the bond shared between Henry and your daughter. I would love to see him dressed in his little outfits Smile
03-17-2013, 08:08 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
I love this story of the flying guinea pig. I have kept them in the past and I noticed that they do jump into the air sometimes. Clearly this jumping guinea pig loves its young owner.

I think jumping might be natural for a guinea pig because in the wild they live out on the pampas grasslands. Jumping might be a defence mechanism when a preditor is about to pounce. I know that is very different from running and jumping up to an adored owner, but running is also something guinea pigs must have developed from their natural habitat.
04-14-2013, 11:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013, 12:00 PM by sakee.)
sakee Offline

Threads: 5
I have heard of guinea pigs "popcorning", but I have never heard of this before, how adorable! It sounds like their personalities are a good match for each other.
04-04-2014, 10:58 AM,
BellaVida Offline

Threads: 2
(02-24-2013, 09:45 AM)jowjo5 Wrote: My daughter is 11 and about 3 months ago got her first guinea pig. She is thrilled with him. Henry is a match made in heaven for her. He is outgoing and just loves to be with her.

Now, there are 4 others of us in the house who hold him, feed him and just love the little guy. But this is the part I have a question about.

When she walks not the room, he perks up and starts looking for her. If she leaves the room he will watch her leave the room and just sit there after she leaves.

When she goes to pick him up he will actually leap into her arms! I mean really jump!
He has shocked us at times because she will say "Henry, come on " and no kidding he will run and fly into her arms, he jumps towards her body and she catches him.

Is this normal for a guinea pig to jump and fly through the air for someone? He adores her, and she spends a lot of time with him. In fact he has his own picture set up on my Facebook page of him being dressed in some little hats and scarves.

I have never heard of this before, just wondering if anyone has ever seen this?

That's seriously one of the cutest stories I have heard in awhile! You should take a video and pics and upload them onto here!! I love animals! I used to have two guinea pigs when I was younger. They are so funny. One's name was Pepper (black male) & the female was named Salt (she was all white). Salt hated Pepper because he would chase her all the time & she wasn't having it! LOL Anyways, yeah send pictures and videos of the little guy! I really want to see!
@Sakee Pop-corning? I didn't know about this either. How cute!
04-19-2014, 06:13 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I think that guinea pigs make wonderful pets, and I had one when I was a little girl, too. Mine didn't ever jump into my arms, but he did start a happy squeaking and squealing whenever he saw me. I always thought that he was just begging for food, so I didn't realize until reading this story that my Inky was actually being so happy just because he liked me.
My folks had a little neighborhood grocery, so we used the leftover banana boxes for his home. Inky could have easily jumped out and escaped, but he never did. he seemed to know that he was supposed to live in there unless i was taking him out and carrying him around. Sometimes, I took him outside in the summer, and let him wander around on the lawn and eat grass, and he seemed to really enjoy doing that.
When the banana box would need changing, we set the new one beside the old one, and Inky would hop back and forth from one box into the other one, until he was finally settled into the new box. Then mom would put the old box, with all the shredded up newspaper bedding, out on her compost pile to help it become good soil for her garden.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you own a pot belly pig? pugskjj 20 8,596 05-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Clever guinea pig names richguinea 4 5,862 07-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Shihtzufan
  Miniature Pig Craze BWP 7 4,456 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: vi0let
  guinea pig cage too small? richguinea 3 3,701 10-22-2014, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Guinea Pig developed a ringworm on humans. Ricardo187 4 4,725 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Last Post: JudyCap
  Is it possible to domesticate your guinea pig? Ricardo187 1 2,550 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Roseary
  Guinea Pig not doing so well sakee 4 3,158 08-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Writer E
  Hard to tell if my guinea pig has head tilt sakee 2 3,355 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sakee
  Are guinea pigs affectionate? nikema 3 6,506 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM
  Can you teach guinea pigs to do tricks? jowjo5 2 2,925 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Photo Meet our guinea pigs sakee 2 2,510 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
  Bathing a guinea pig? jowjo5 3 3,037 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM