Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My two turtles grow unevenly
09-11-2013, 10:55 AM,
Bella W Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
My two turtles grow unevenly
My turtles grow, but unevenly, and I don't know why. I have 2 yellow belly sliders and one is 5 inches while the other one remains at about 3.5 inches. I've had them for 6 months and he just doesn't seem to grow. They're both eating well, and the little one eats a lot more than the big one.
I have a filter, a basking dock, UV lights, and they're in a 30 gallon tank. What could be the issue? Gen068
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2013, 04:31 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Tiny Turtle
(09-11-2013, 10:55 AM)Bella W Wrote: My turtles grow, but unevenly, and I don't know why. I have 2 yellow belly sliders and one is 5 inches while the other one remains at about 3.5 inches. I've had them for 6 months and he just doesn't seem to grow. They're both eating well, and the little one eats a lot more than the big one.
I have a filter, a basking dock, UV lights, and they're in a 30 gallon tank. What could be the issue? Gen068

Turtles don't necessarily grow quickly. If all else is well (proper lights and temps/basking, being fed properly, etc), I wouldn't worry much. YB sliders are omnivorous, but the little ones tend more towards the carnivorous side, needing the protein for growth. If you are feeding a primarily plant based diet that could have allot to do with it. In the wild they supposedly eat allot of dragonfly nymphs, mosquito larvae, etc, so other larval insects could work, black soldier fly larvae (Phoenix worms/Repti worms/Calci Worms), wax worms, butter worms, maybe even silkworms.

And I know it's hard, but the other thing that may be worthwhile if you are truly concerned would be a fecal test at a qualified reptile vet.
09-14-2013, 03:49 AM,
Bella W Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
RE: My two turtles grow unevenly
Thank you for your advice. I feed them meal worms, and once a week I'll add some celery. So maybe I should just stick to the proteins? Should I feed the smaller one separately? Maybe the bigger one is stealing her food when I'm not watching.
09-18-2013, 04:14 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I am very much speaking theoretically here, as my practical experience with chelonians is limited, but, mealworms are very poor nutritionally. Try to mix it up with some other insects, maybe the phoenix worms or blood worms. Or some small feeder fish left in there, like some guppies. If you let some guppies swim around in there, it is more likely they will both get an opportunity to feed.

Let me know how it goes.
09-24-2013, 08:35 PM,
zemmy Offline

Threads: 0
It's probably just their respective sexes.

Male yellow bellied sliders grow to be about 5-9 inches long, while females reach an adult size of 8-13 inches

So if everything else seems to be fine, they're both eating and are otherwise happy then I wouldn't worry too much Smile
12-06-2013, 04:57 AM,
lildoge Offline

Threads: 0
If they're different sexes and different animals, it makes sense that they'd be growing differently. Even human twins grow up looking and acting somewhat differently from the other. As long as they're healthy, don't worry too much. Animals grow on their own timelines even if you're doing your best to offer them superior nutrition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Snapping turtles are awesome Ofnir 1 2,246 04-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady