LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality shows, are there too many?
08-02-2012, 02:00 AM,
Pocs Offline

Threads: 24
Reality shows, are there too many?
It doesn't matter what networks you watch or what time you turn the tv on, you are bound to find a Reality Show or two filling the screen. I myself have fallen under the spell and allure of them. Lately though they have taken over the air waves. Do you think there may be too many airing today?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 09:06 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Reality shows, are there too many?
I don't watch them. They are boring to me. My mother might like some of them if she has the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 12:12 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

Threads: 2
I'd definitely have to say yes! I've been sucked into watching many of them but it seems like every time I turn on the TV there's another new one and I find myself thinking that they'll make a reality tv show out of just about anything these days! And some of them are just too similar, like pawn stars and then hardcore pawn, how many shows can they possibly make about pawn shops?!
09-14-2012, 12:50 PM,
VJNatale Offline

I definitely believe that there are way too many reality tv shows. I think that they should only have one channel to provide the reality shows. This way it leaves the other channels to put other content on. I do not watch a lot of tv but when I do, I notice that they will make a show about anything. Kids, pigs, bachelors, nannies, hunting, fishing, etc..... It's all too much!
10-03-2012, 02:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 02:50 AM by pafjlh.)
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
There are definitely too many, it was bad enough when they started to invade network TV (thank you Survivor for that one) but now it seems to be all that basic cable has mostly become. I remember when VH-1 and MTV were actually what their name say, music videos, all day and all night. Now they only air them at certain hours, rest of them time these networks are nothing but reality shows. The same go for E and Bravo, once great channels of variety in content now mostly reality shows. Am I guilty of watching some of them? I have to admit that I have, however, I do still believe that there are just way too many of these.
02-04-2013, 08:59 AM,
mz_angie1987 Offline

Threads: 0
I do think that there are a lot of reality tv shows but I don't think it's too many. It gives the viewers the opportunity to have different choices in what they want to watch. Back in the early 2000s there wasn't a lot to chose from and people wasn't really tuning in. From what I could remember all they had was "The Real World" and I surmise they figured people love to see what goes on in others lives. I love reality tv shows and I am one of the ones' that love to see how others live and where they come from. I think someone being themselves whether it's rambunctious or very reserve, that is what makes great tv. I tune in every week to watch "The Real housewives of Atlanta, Shahs of sunset, and teen mom" and I love it!
04-02-2013, 05:45 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

To be honest, I do not own a television so I do not really know how many shows there are. However, I do notice that these shows to seem to clog up the news with their shenanigans rather more than I would like. It irritates me when even the normal news updates contain discussion on the latest goings-on of a show I suspect no one really cares about. To be honest, I do not even see the attraction of watching such shows. They are clearly scripted and finely-tuned by the producers to make exactly what they want: it is the most unreal television you can find! On top of that, it is then "revealed" in newspapers and so on that certain events were "staged" or "shot more than once". Of course they were! It is not as if the people who make these shows are going to allow actual reality to get in the way of their viewer ratings. In my opinion, even if there are not too many reality shows around, they do seem to be receiving far more attention than they should from the media. However, I suspect that the reason for this is, of course, money. These shows are central to advertisers so it is important to keep the shows "in the spotlight".
05-04-2013, 11:34 AM,
amundy8 Offline

I think they are excessive. I don't watch much T.V., but whenever I turn it on, Reality T.V. seems to be everywhere and some don't seem real at all. Very fake. They can become addictive but since I keep the T.V. off, I don't have that problem.
06-03-2013, 06:54 AM,
SereneScales Offline

Who am I to say people shouldn't make their money, as they own the stations and can put anything on it they want, not that I agree with it though, I just digress on that argument. My only gripe is that they could at least theme their shows around what ever network they happen to puke their mediocre at best entertainment onto. My solution is I just don't watch tv anymore.. I don't care to look at other people live a staged life or spread lies about animals they obviously know nothing about!
06-09-2013, 03:28 AM,
redchik987 Offline
Registered

Reality shows are my guilty pleasure. I've watched at least one episode of most reality shows, and I'm hooked to a few, including The Bachelor/Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad. Whenever I'm bored, I'll watch some Real Housewives episodes or catch up with the Duggars on 19 Kids and Counting (or is it 20? 21...?). Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras are fun to watch, too. I don't really consider the fact that they're probably scripted, I just enjoy it for what it is...mindless entertainment!
08-16-2013, 01:36 PM,
alycat32 Offline

I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon, unfortunately. At this point it's almost hard to recall a time when they didn't take over the air waves. While I miss tv being filled with mostly quality shows, I admit I've been sucked in to fake reality drama as well. I'm a fan of the trash that is Real World/Road Rules Challenge as well as talent shows. I know they are all heavily scripted. It's ridiculous, but it's mindless and fun entertainment.
09-10-2013, 03:06 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
I think that there are Definitely WAY too many reality shows. While there ARE some good ones, there are A LOT of ones that I feel like they are just running out of show ideas and will pretty much just make a show out of ANYTHING these days. The other day I was flipping through the channels and came across a reality show about parking meters? I mean really? I didn't watch it long but I think the show as called Parking Meter Wars or something like that? I guess the show is about people who don't pay their parking meter. Sounds stupid to me. How can that be interesting? Again, I did not watch it so I guess I shouldn't judge. It may be a good show.
06-09-2014, 07:07 AM,
Francy Offline

Threads: 8
Yes there are quite a few out there, that's for sure! I am a sucker for some of them I must say but some of them I certainly can't stand. And then there are the ones that I'm sitting her like why am I watching this. lol....but I would agree reality tv shows have really taken off in the last 10 years or so.
06-14-2014, 02:56 AM,
FreeFlowingJoy Offline

My knee jerk reaction is YES, there are too many, and that I don't like them. Most are full of immature people playing out the lowest vibe possible in that they are hateful, judgmental and / or overbearing. And yes, we all know that is true for some of them.

BUT, there are also good ones that had me hooked. I LOVED Flying Wild Alaska, the story about Era Alaska, and the Tweto family. They are the airline that goes literately where no one else goes, and are a single lifeline for remote areas in Alaska. Talk about fascinating.

I also am a sucker for cooking shows. I know they are probably all fixed in some way, they do seem 'not quite right' in editing, and so forth. But I still love them. Top Chef, Chopped, and The Next Food Network Star and Hell's Kitchen are fun. I also loved the baking cook off by the Cake Boss family.

Sister Wives is addictive too.
04-22-2015, 08:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM by barkingsquirrel.)
barkingsquirrel Offline

I think there are far too many reality shows on television, but the reason there are so many is that there are so many people watching them!

I'm guilty of watching ... I have been a Survivor fan since day one and have not missed a single show. Besides that, I've watched plenty of cooking shows, including Hell's Kitchen, which I still watch. I like the reality shows based in Alaska, I'm guilty of watching The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, Sisterwives is definitely addicting, I've watched 19 Kids and Counting (don't even know if that's the correct number of kids anymore).

After re-reading my post, I think I might be one of those people keeping reality shows alive .....

(06-09-2013, 03:28 AM)redchik987 Wrote: Reality shows are my guilty pleasure. I've watched at least one episode of most reality shows, and I'm hooked to a few, including The Bachelor/Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad. Whenever I'm bored, I'll watch some Real Housewives episodes or catch up with the Duggars on 19 Kids and Counting (or is it 20? 21...?). Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras are fun to watch, too. I don't really consider the fact that they're probably scripted, I just enjoy it for what it is...mindless entertainment!

I think we're in total agreement on this ... mindless entertainment Smile
11-18-2021, 01:02 PM,
kasiwa Offline
Registered

I would spend time to watch learning course rather than TV show nowadays
07-07-2022, 06:19 PM,
Busbyx Offline

(11-18-2021, 01:02 PM)kasiwa Wrote: I would spend time to watch learning course rather than TV show nowadays
Yeah, interesting. What course, for example?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TV Shows/Films/Et Cetera about cats! Mantis 2 2,002 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Mantis