LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Dime Store Turtle
08-08-2014, 05:29 AM,
Swoosieque Offline

Threads: 4
Old Dime Store Turtle
I know that turtles have a very long life span, I have heard three hundred years is not unusual. So, I am wondering about a little turtle I had for a bet 44 years ago. It was one of those little guys that I bought at what used to be known as a "dime store", Woolworth's was the original, I think.

So, my little turtle lived in a turtle island container on my dresser. He/she could sun bathe, swim, or hide in a little cave I made. I named her/him "Fred."

Fred and I were happy together for five years, he/she grew bigger and bigger. Alas, all things must come to an end. I was going to be married and I did not think that Fred would receive as much attention as I gave when I was single. So, I drove to a nearby farming community and let Fred loose in a creek, wishing him/her well. I wonder if Fred survived.

Every time I see a big turtle crossing the roads out where I live, I always stop and help the turtle across to the other side. I hope that Fred is still alive somewhere and that someone may have helped him/her.

Do you think natural instinct took over and Fred 'knew' how to catch flies and other bugs? Do you think Fred knew what to do when winter came? Gen068
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2014, 11:09 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Old Dime Store Turtle
I remember those little "dime store" turtles, and mine probably came from Woolworths, too. I also had the little island turtle bowl for him. I was pretty young when I got him, so I don't really remember what happened to him any more. We might have turned mine loose, too.
They were usually little painted turtles, and were pretty common in Idaho where i used to live growing up. I think that your turtle probably did fine after you turned him loose, and the natural instinct would have taken over when the weather turned cold.
He probably enjoyed having a creek or pond to lounge around in and catch bugs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,720 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Would you "rescue" a pet from the pet store? Ram 15 5,679 06-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  If you own a pet store, would you let visitors take photos of your pets? Ram 27 9,923 08-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Tribie