LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PET TREAT WARNING ! ! !
05-20-2014, 06:49 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
PET TREAT WARNING ! ! !
Fox News has just issued another warning for treats made from chicken, duck, and sweet potatoes, and are being sold as dog or cat treats. The companies most likely to be selling them are thought to be Del Monte, and also Purina. However, those companies had recalls of treats as far back as 2007, and may not be where the poisoned treats are coming from this time.Authorities said weell over 1,000 pets have died from thes treats, but they are still not sure which companis are responsible.
However, thy think the treats are made with products from China; but they also said that the manufacturing company might b one right here in th United States.
Personally, I would bee skeptical about feding any treats right now, and I always make any treats I give my dogs, or give them a bite of a hot dog or lunch meat.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/05/19...og-deaths/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2016, 07:30 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
RE: PET TREAT WARNING ! ! !
I used to buy this treat called Milky sticks which look like pretzels but not brittle. It is made in Thailand and availability is a problem that's why when it is available in the pet shop, I buy a box. But when there was a recall of a particular dog food brand (not this milky sticks though), I decided to quit buying for a while. And when I bought again after some months, my husband told me not to give it to our dogs. So what happened was I had to give it to my sister's dogs. I agree that it is processed food and we don't really know the ingredients.

That is also the reason why we are feeding our dogs with cooked food because we want to be sure what our dogs are eating. This is not to malign manufactured dog foods but we don't have a guarantee of the ingredients.
06-14-2016, 04:16 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
These days, it looks tricky to know who to trust because some of the companies selling harmful pet food have got reputable names. The fact that thousands of pets have died should be a veritable cause for alarm. I wonder whether any litigant has forwarded the case for intervention. The problem with these store bought treats is that during the production processes have poor quality control. If you investigate keenly, you'll discover that the poisonous substances are preservatives which are physiologically toxic. I think the best solution is to give dogs treats which you can vouch for like meat products from slaughtering houses or other appealing foods in your area. The problem with some of these stores is that they have turned into profiteers with short term aims.
06-19-2016, 06:39 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Even when the company is a reputable company, and makes good quality dog/cat food, they still have to purchase ingredients, especially for added vitamins and minerals. Many of the vitamins, as well as prescription pharmaceuticals, that we use today are coming from China, and that is true for both people vitamins and pet vitamins.
Since the regulation from China is pretty limited sometimes, we have received all kinds of products from China that are not safe for people to use.
We usually give our little dogs small chunks of hot dogs as a treat, and that will bypass any problems with imported treats that are harmful to the dogs. Since Chpper is old and his teeth are not so good anymore, he much prefers the soft treats to hard chewy ones anyway.

One brand that seems to be safe and that the dogs do like is the Purina Beyond treats. I was given some of those to product test a few months ago, and the dogs really liked them.
I did have to break Chipper's little biscuits into small bites since he can't chew the whole one ; but they seemed to taste great to the dogs.
The salmon ones really smelled like salmon, and seemed to me like they would smell great to a dog looking for a treat.
While we will probably stick with the soft hot dogs as the main treat, I do recomend the Purina Beyond treats as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Filipinos & Vietnamese Are the Likeliest Pet Owners During the Pandemic kasiwa 0 700 11-25-2021, 12:17 PM
Last Post: kasiwa
  11 Funny Mental Health Benefits of a Pet Hales 0 1,022 03-14-2020, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Hales
  A Pet reptile was used as guard "dog" Thor 18 8,840 05-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Last Post: CodyCobey
  A Pet Case In Court nailah783 4 3,297 01-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Sentimental Value on a Pet's Worth haopee 9 5,270 07-27-2016, 12:58 AM
Last Post: TracyD
  Anyone ever own a pet rock? BobCat 11 6,273 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Last Post: cecejailer
  protecting your pet from predators . Happyflowerlady 12 5,383 06-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Butterbelly's Buddy
  What dogs will do to get a treat! Shihtzufan 5 3,662 05-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Pygmy hedgehogs become popular pet in Sweden Ram 10 7,479 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Last Post: remnant
  Beware of new pet-stealing scam ! Happyflowerlady 5 3,741 06-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Last Post: SarahWorksAtHome
  Would you spend on pet funeral services? haopee 5 3,904 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Nakhash
  Luxury pet clinic in Korea reflects changing times ACSAPA 9 4,399 07-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Last Post: laurasav
  Pet food recall Karenskatz 11 4,742 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Karenskatz