Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pure bred or mutt?
12-09-2012, 09:38 PM,
dhrynio Offline

Threads: 5
Pure bred or mutt?
Which do you prefer?

We are looking at getting another dog since our German Shepherd died this last spring and we don't want our female mutt to be alone.

My husband wants another German Shepherd but a female this time, but I want another mutt. There are a ridiuculous amount of homeless dogs here and there are so many at the animal shelter where we took our mutt from. I also feel that mutts make great dogs. You do away with the chance of getting a dog who was inbred.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 11:46 PM,
themdno Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Pure bred or mutt?
I would always go with a mutt, just because there are so many dogs out there that need a home. I mean, honestly, I don't care about the dogs bloodline, or lineage, or how perfect a representation of a breed it is. I want a cool, fun dog, that I'll love for the rest of my life. I could care less what he's worth to a breeder, or to a judge.
12-10-2012, 04:58 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

Threads: 10
I'd always get a mutt too. There are too many dogs needing homes. I have to admit that I would love a purebred english bulldog sometime in my life. But, I probably will never get one because it bugs me that people breed animals to make money. Our dog was 3 days away from being put down at the shelter. His previous owners dropped him off there because he was "too pesty." It made me so sad to think this wonderful dog might have been killed if we hadn't gotten to him when we did.
12-10-2012, 05:45 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
I really don't have a preference it comes down to the type of dog I can acquire at the time and who is in need of a home. I have had a pure bred golden lab and a pure bred German Shepard. But at one time I also had a dog that was so many different breeds it was hard to define him. I also have two dogs now that obviously are a mixture of at least two different breeds. So I have had both, and have never really preferred one over the other, they were all loving and devoted dogs. When it comes right down to it, that's what really matters.
12-11-2012, 06:56 AM,
bellahpereira Offline

Threads: 3
I don't think I have a preference. My dog is pure bred, but that was a coincidence. I got him as a gift from my mother-in-law's boss, and we didn't even know what kind of dog it was until we took him to the vet. When I asked the lady, she confirmed the the parents were pure bred so the pup must be too. I think it's more about forming a bond with the dog, and not so much about what kind of dog it is.
12-12-2012, 03:08 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
I feel the same way. Mutts and rescued animals make the best pets. And there are so many dogs (and cats) there is no need to breed more. Also, pure breed dogs are more high-strung and seem to have more health problems. I bought one of my dogs from a pet store and will never do that again. It wasn't until months later that I realized that all dogs sold in this pet store come from puppy mills. I am all for rescue dogs.
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM,
dhrynio Offline

Oh goodness, puppy mills, don't ge tme started. It is such an awful thing to see. I knwo a woman who just took in a female standard poodle. She was only allowed outside 1 hour a day, no one played with her ever. She just birthed puppies and that was it. She now lives with a family who loves her, takes her out and she even has a male standard for her companion.
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM,
shihtzuandme Offline
Registered

For me it depends on the dog's temperament, and how much space you have where you live. But always visit your local animal shelter first before going anywhere else. You'd be surprised at how many adoptable dogs they have there.
12-13-2012, 03:06 PM,
maddie Offline

I really don't care if it is a pure breed or a mutt. The temperament of the dog should gel with ours and the other dog we have. I am with you on this, that there are so many dogs out there that need shelter.. we could do very well to give a unloved dog a loving home.
Mine is not a pure breed, she is a mix of a Pomeranian and a poodle.. but looks more like a Pom. I have had other dogs that I had adopted from animal shelters.. and they were fine.. I would of course try to get familiar with a dog I want to adopt from the shelter.. I would study its habit and temperament before bringing it home.. of course getting a thorough medical examination and all the vaccinations is important too when you have another dog at home.. It would be a mutt for me..
12-19-2012, 03:16 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(12-09-2012, 09:38 PM)dhrynio Wrote: There are a ridiuculous amount of homeless dogs here and there are so many at the animal shelter where we took our mutt from. I also feel that mutts make great dogs. You do away with the chance of getting a dog who was inbred.

I totally agree on you with this one. I think getting a mutt has it's own perks.

I have two Shih Tzus and the rest of my dogs are mixed breed or street dogs we've adopted throughout the years. If it really means so much to your husband to get a German Shepherd, maybe he could find one in the animal shelter. After all, one out of the four dogs residing in a shelter is purebred.

Mutts are indeed great dogs. They're also less likely to contract hereditary diseases like purebreds.
12-20-2012, 03:54 AM,
dhrynio Offline

I was thinking that we will contact the shelter and ask them to call us if they get Shepherd or mix puppies. That would satisfy us both. Although hubby was contacted by the local DNR guys, they found a dead mama wolf and a live puppy. They offered it to us. I said no. Wolves are amazing creatures but there is too much wild instinct in them for me to feel comfortble having one in our home and around our kids.

I think we will wait till next autumn to get a puppy anyways. We will have house guests all summer and I don't really want to find someone to watch a young pup while we go on road trips.
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM,
jenzshoppin Offline

Threads: 2
I vote Mutt. We always get our pets from a local shelter or from a family that can no longer keep the dog. I also am concerned that there are so many pets that need homes. We go to a pet store at the mall that my daughter and I affectionately call the "Puppy Store" to look at the puppies. They are so precious, but it is so sad to see them cooped up in a tiny cage all day. I know that puppy mill puppies get treated even worse and that is so sad. It is because of demand that puppy mills exist. If everyone insisted on getting their new dog from someone who could not keep their pet or a shelter or pound we would not have the puppy mill problem.

Best of luck to you on your dog search. I agree with you about letting the shelter know about what breed you are looking for. You never know when they'll get in the breed you want and the dog will find a forever home!
12-29-2012, 09:57 AM,
froncikle Offline

(12-09-2012, 09:38 PM)dhrynio Wrote: Which do you prefer?
There are a ridiuculous amount of homeless dogs here and there are so many at the animal shelter where we took our mutt from. I also feel that mutts make great dogs.

I agree with you absolutely. I am not against breed dogs, but I have always adopted puppies from the street, as there are too many homeless poor pups Sad

As for mutts making good dogs, I would agree. They tend to be less sickly and are usually immune to most illnesses that target specific dog breeds.
12-29-2012, 01:30 PM,
Tagged7 Offline

I'll throw my hat in for a mutt, too! I don't have a problem with pure breds other than sometimes I think maybe the bloodlines get a little too close. I think it all comes down to the time, effort and love that you put into them. I've got a shepherd mix that we got from a rescue shelter and she's been the most incredible dog that I've ever had... great under voice control, perfect for fishing trips!
12-30-2012, 06:57 AM,
amy005 Offline

I would say for sure go for the mutt from the shelter. These dogs are much more in need of a home. German Shepard's are wonderful dogs and many people love them. They are more in demand then a mutt at a shelter may be so I think the best thing would be to give a needy dog a good home.
01-10-2013, 01:52 AM,
Lex Offline

If it comes down to either going to a breeder or a shelter, always go to the shelter. Unless you can find a 100% Pure Bred German, at a shelter, I'd definitely advise you to be looking for a mutt! There are a ton of homeless dogs, out there, you know? They all need loving, caring homes.

I hope you find the perfect dog for you and your family, regardless!
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM,
Blemons2527 Offline

It doesn't matter to me... I have owned both and right know own a male chihuahua who was a rescue. There are some pure breeds who are bad but there are also some mutts who are bad. It's a 50/50 shot when you are looking to get a dog
01-29-2013, 06:42 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
My wife and I have been discussing this for a long time and we decided to adopt a mutt that has been abandoned. Although we're not getting a dog immediately, but when we do it'll definitely be a rescue mutt.

These dogs are often abused, neglected and taken in by pricks, like homeless people. Also, they live longer, have less health problems and are just fantastic pets to have. Pure bred are the ones with the health issues because of in-breeding.
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
I have never owned a pure bred, so I can't really tell you that a mutt is better than a pure bred. However, that said all my dogs have been mutts. My last dog was a cross between a lab and a boxer and a chow. The chow part was the blue spots in his mouth. He was a very good watchdog and way to smart for his own good. You have one other consideration pleasing your husband, maybe you need to consider that german shepard. lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-13-2013, 09:58 PM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
I like both. I have had a mutt that was an amazing dog, she was well mannered and sweet with everyone. I also now have two pure bred dogs. We have Bernese Mt dogs. And I love them just as much. I do however agree there are many, many dogs needing a good home. I often think adoption will be my next way to go when I am looking for another one. But that is not happening anytime soon.
All dogs are wonderful, and I agree with the need to find homes for so many is very important.
I have had both and loved them equally.
03-02-2013, 03:17 PM,
suzjbibby Offline

I keep my chihuahua's purebred, I like the breed as it is and they are more valuable that way, I do not inbreed, I am careful about that, when people purchase from me they are getting a well raised, healthy purebred and I doubt my doggies would end up in a shelter. Our family watch dog on the other hand is a big lovable mutt. She has boxer, neopolitan mastif, great dane and mastif bloodlines, she is the gentlest most patient creature with our children but is big and scary enough to give strangers second thoughts about entering our yard Smile
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM,
trishgl Offline

My father always brought home mutts from the shelter for us as pets so I'm not really picky about the breed or lineage. I've learned through the years that both mutts and pure breeds are the same when it comes to being loving, obedient and fun. It is a shame though that with all the dogs that need homes more people should consider adopting from a shelter instead of buying one.
03-14-2013, 06:00 AM,
borderlab Offline
Registered

I prefer mutts to be honest. I have two mutts and one pedigree border collie. While I love my border collie he's only as awesome as my mutts from rescue that cost £400 less. Obviously I feel a whole lot better about rescuing the mutts than lining the pockets of a breeder too. I'm fairly sure I'll never get a puppy from a breeder again and that I'll always rescue from now on. The only way I'd get a puppy is if I come across a litter in rescue.

Undoubtedly mutts are healthier in general, it's genetic fact and I also think mutts tend to have more personality - they're more unique.
03-27-2013, 11:41 AM,
Libragirl67 Offline

Animal shelters have become overun with pets needing a good home. Whether they are pure breds or mutts, your best bet is to find your nearest shelter. Or you could even try looking in the classified ads. That is how we found our dog, Nashley. The biggest problem I have with pure bred dog breeders is their lack of concern for the animals welfare. I am not saying all breeders mishandle their dogs. But there are just to many puppy mills out there. And people just trying to make a quick buck. Inbreeding of the dogs becomes common place for some breeders. So this is why I said it does not matter if the dog is a mutt or pure bred. The real question should be where are you going to get the dog.
04-03-2013, 06:21 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

I would vote for getting a dog from the animal shelter. It does not make any sense to go out and try to find a pure-bred when there are perfectly friendly dogs waiting for a home at the shelter. To be honest, you might be able to find a pure-bred (or something close) at the shelter anyway. Our last dog was probably a pure-bred although we found her outside the supermarket in the shed they use to store carts. I do not really see why anyone would need to have a pure-bred dog for anything other than status. If you just want a dog to show off to other people then I suppose that might be important. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a dog to keep you company (or in the case of dhrynio, keep your other dog company) then I cannot see how it makes any difference whatsoever. On top of that, as many other posters have said, "mutts" have the advantage of so-called "hybrid vigour": that is, mixed breed dogs are generally healthier than pure-bred ones. As a result of this, a "mutt" is likely to keep you company for some years more than a pure-bred.