LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rearing a ball python in Europe
06-13-2013, 02:48 AM,
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
Rearing a ball python in Europe
Does anyone know if it is legal to keep a ball python in Europe? They're of African origin and are quite popular as pets in Asia because of their small size and the fact that they are not aggressive.
Also, what would be the items needed to set up a little terrarium for this type of snake? I'm guessing a heating source and a light bulb for reptiles would some of the main items. I also would like to know the best food source (mice?) and the frequency of feeding for this species.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2013, 08:26 PM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Rearing a ball python in Europe
Considering that ball pythons are used as one of the more domesticated species of snakes I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, these types of snakes are everywhere and even my sister's real father had one of these things. It more or less probably depends on what country in Europe you are in and then from there what city or town, I would search your local area for animals that are illegal and ones that are legal to have. I'm sure that they would have some sort of laws listed up on a website,if anything contact your local wild life center and ask them because they would be more clear on that aspect of having a ball python as a pet, however if they are sold in pet stores in your area then surely they are legal. As for feeding you feed them mice,I believe it's like once a week. Make sure their habitat stays warm with heating lights and rocks,give them plenty of water and make sure it's clean,also handle the snake as often as possible when it isn't in the process of digesting food so that it gets used to being touched and move for when you do cleaning.
06-18-2013, 09:20 PM,
BWP Offline

(06-18-2013, 08:26 PM)nafretiti Wrote: Considering that ball pythons are used as one of the more domesticated species of snakes I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, these types of snakes are everywhere and even my sister's real father had one of these things. It more or less probably depends on what country in Europe you are in and then from there what city or town, I would search your local area for animals that are illegal and ones that are legal to have. I'm sure that they would have some sort of laws listed up on a website,if anything contact your local wild life center and ask them because they would be more clear on that aspect of having a ball python as a pet, however if they are sold in pet stores in your area then surely they are legal. As for feeding you feed them mice,I believe it's like once a week. Make sure their habitat stays warm with heating lights and rocks,give them plenty of water and make sure it's clean,also handle the snake as often as possible when it isn't in the process of digesting food so that it gets used to being touched and move for when you do cleaning.

Thanks nafretiti, I just found out that they are legal where I'm at. They're fairly common as exotic pets. They're not considered "mainstream" but they are quite popular among the young and trendy. There even importers and breeders in Paris and other major cities. One of the main importers is Caperan Reptiles, specializing in ball pythons, reticulated pythons and even boa constrictors. I'm having a blast browsing through their online catalog.
I even found a company in Northern France called The French Constriction, specializing in breeding guess what, boa constrictors and pythons.
06-23-2013, 10:15 PM,
nafretiti Offline

That is really good news, I'm glad that they have it where it is legal to have a ball python where you are. Surely it is fun like you said searching through all the different types of snakes, I would find it hard to choose just one though as there are different ones you can get. Will you get a breeding pair or just one and would you get a male or female? there is just so much to decide on, and of course if it doesn't matter you can just let them randomly choose for you. Make sure you are up to date on how to care for the snake, you don't want to make any mistakes or be mistaken about some facts and if anything always ask a snake breeder all the questions you have, I would write a list down and get your answers,make sure they give you straight forward answers as well and not beat around the bush.
07-01-2013, 05:08 PM,
BWP Offline

(06-23-2013, 10:15 PM)nafretiti Wrote: That is really good news, I'm glad that they have it where it is legal to have a ball python where you are. Surely it is fun like you said searching through all the different types of snakes, I would find it hard to choose just one though as there are different ones you can get. Will you get a breeding pair or just one and would you get a male or female? there is just so much to decide on, and of course if it doesn't matter you can just let them randomly choose for you. Make sure you are up to date on how to care for the snake, you don't want to make any mistakes or be mistaken about some facts and if anything always ask a snake breeder all the questions you have, I would write a list down and get your answers,make sure they give you straight forward answers as well and not beat around the bush.

I don't intend to keep a breeding pair, just a single male or female. Yes, I am more interested on giving proper care. In France, the snake breeders and importers are usually very responsible and one guy I knew who bought an albino burmese python said that the snake breeder he got his pet from made regular visits to his house to see how the snake was doing. Now that's really caring about your animals!
07-06-2013, 02:59 PM,
nafretiti Offline

You are right that is super good pet care and follow up for snakes, it makes me happy when people can be responsible and even better if you yourself is just getting one and not a breeding pair. Snakes are still unpredictable though and so it's good that you are learning about the snakes and how to care for them, I hope the breeder you get a snake from is very responsible and will give you a good quality snake that won't pass away right away, take it to the vet and make sure it's all healthy and nothing is wrong with it just to be on the safe side.
07-08-2013, 05:16 PM,
BWP Offline

(07-06-2013, 02:59 PM)nafretiti Wrote: You are right that is super good pet care and follow up for snakes, it makes me happy when people can be responsible and even better if you yourself is just getting one and not a breeding pair. Snakes are still unpredictable though and so it's good that you are learning about the snakes and how to care for them, I hope the breeder you get a snake from is very responsible and will give you a good quality snake that won't pass away right away, take it to the vet and make sure it's all healthy and nothing is wrong with it just to be on the safe side.

Absolutely. They tend to be very responsible here. It's a good idea as well, snakes are not really domesticated animals and still live and hunt by instinct so the behavior of a snake definitely will not be the same as that of a dog or cat.
You're right about taking all the precautions and making sure that we know how to handle them. There's a very experienced vet not far from my place so I guess I'm not that worried if it gets sick. You can never be too careful and I totally agree, safety first, both for the pet and owner. It helps that ball pythons are a fairly docile species and are not as aggressive as other snakes.
05-26-2019, 05:43 AM,
Budgediehard Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
For feeding, I feed them pink mice.

Ball pythons are nocturnal and like hiding.

Most ball python owners recommend a heat Matt attached to a thermostat for your python. Thermostats will set you back over £30 for a good one (and you want a good one) whereas heat mats very dependent on the size. Mine was about £13.

If you want a light in your vivarium just so you can see your python, then I would suggest these:
05-26-2019, 05:45 AM,
Budgediehard Offline
Registered

--https://ecopetlife.com/best-light-for-ball-python/--
10-24-2021, 10:52 AM,
GreenAmy Offline

Threads: 6
Check out the FaceBook group “New Ball Python Keepers” it is a great resource group that is non-judgmental in giving help and advice. They have files at the top of the groups page that are full of information specific to ball python care.
01-06-2022, 07:12 PM,
dihiy74537 Offline
Registered

We have a team of experts who will assist you regarding router setup. We can walk you through the setup process. For better details, visit us.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ball Pythons? Doggie Lover 0 1,886 06-21-2016, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Doggie Lover
  childrens python gene 3 2,949 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Last Post: ThatJagDoe
  Pictorial progression on the life of a green tree python. Fishbone 12 8,945 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Thor
  Wiggly Our Burmese Python 4sweed 3 2,879 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Britt24xoxo
Big Grin Nova,, another green tree python Fishbone 4 4,452 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Fishbone
  What is the typical cost to have a ball python for pet? Ram 7 20,214 05-05-2012, 07:16 AM
  Ball Pythons lhins 17 7,063 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM