LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing natural weapons
07-04-2016, 06:20 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
Removing natural weapons
Animals have varied defensive and offensive weapons or strategies which they are born with. It may include fangs in the case of snakes, sabre toothed, powerful limbs in case of ostrichfs as well as powerful foreheads and horns in the case of cattle. When such pets are at home, they pose a threat to family members especially those that turn into Frankestein monsters and turn against their owners. A good number of people resort to onechectomy or removal of claws. In other cases, birds are debeaked and even having their wings removed to prevent them from flying away. Its quite understandable why snakes should have their fangs removed but most of these practices border on torture. The jury is out there with regard to the ethical implications of these activities. At the end of the day, it should be a win-win not win-lose situation. What are your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 09:29 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Removing natural weapons
I think that you are misunderstanding about birds having their wings removed. They call it clipping the bird's wings; but they are not actually clipping of anyting but the feathers on the wings.
Sometimes, only one side has the feathers clipped, and this makes the bird lop-sided when it tries to fly. Clipping the long feathers on a bird's wings, whether on one side , or on both sides, makes it so that the bird can't easily fly away, but usually they can still fly for a short distance.
I have done this with small birds like a parakeet, and also with larger birds such as chickens, alhough clipping the large wing feathers on a chicken is not that easy to do.

As far as de-clawing a cat, I think that is usually done to keep the cat from scratching up furniture, rather than for proection from the cat. I think that this is a sad thing to do to a cat, since it takes away their natural ability to climb and to protect themselves.
07-08-2016, 05:15 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Removing natural weapons
I don't go for anything artificial except for the trimming of nails of dogs. Even the cutting of the tail is cruel to me. When our pug was born, the owner asked me if I had wanted the tail to be cut, I said no way.

We had a pigeon which lived with us for 5 years. I couldn't imagine having the wings clipped because that would make her lose her balance. A wild animal is not reason to defang it like a tiger or lion because it can be likened to maiming a human. We take care of pets not only for us to be happy but also for our pets to be happy.