LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Retirement Funds for Cats
05-08-2015, 08:49 AM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
Retirement Funds for Cats
At the University that I currently go to, I learned that one of my Professors who is currently a retired volunteer who teaches once a semester used most of her retirement money to help all of the stray cats that are scattered all over campus. There's an unknown reason why our campus has a large number of stray cats in general, but she basically created a home for them at a nearby shelter where she goes to often. The shelter treats the cats of any illnesses that they may have and then advertises others to adopt them. My professor already has 15 cats of her own and some she had gotten from the shelter she created. As a cat-lover, I truly find this inspirational. She is such a kindhearted person that hearing about her retirement story was completely 'her'.

For all you cat-lovers, would you spend your retirement money like she did on stray cats to ensure a better life and home for them? Has helping the stray cats ever crossed your mind?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 05:39 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Retirement Funds for Cats
What a lovely thing to do - I love hearing things like this, where people are so selfless and so helpful towards animals.

I always feel for stray animals when I see them -- it really is a situation where you wish you could just take them all in and give them all a home. Amazing though that this lady has essentially done that by organizing that at the shelter, and that she works towards finding others to adopt them.

I think that's the biggest thing - finding loving, caring homes for these pets - so it's fabulous that not only is she helping them have a place to be at the shelter, but she is endeavoring to find them permanent homes. I hope she's having a lot of success with doing that!
07-08-2015, 09:22 AM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
That was a wonderful thing for her to do for them; I'm sure all of the cats that she has helped greatly appreciate everything she has done for them. Smile Something about animals can make people, no matter how selfish some of them may be in certain circumstances, react in a selfless way in order to help out an animal in need.

I for one am very stingy with my money, if I'm completely honest. I can't earn a whole lot because I am only working online right now, so what I do make is very important for me to put towards my savings. So personally this isn't something I would ever be able to do. It is, however, something that I find inspiring, and something that if I had the funds to do I would gladly put out money towards helping out with. I doubt I'll ever be in a place financially where I can afford to do a project like this singlehandedly, but if someone was starting a project like this I would be happy to do my best to donate towards helping out!

When I see stray cats and other animals I always feel very sad for them. It is unfortunate that there are so many out there, and especially sad when you consider the fact that a lot of them are strays because their owners weren't able to look after them, and they were left to fend for themselves. My old kitty, Kikyo - he was a stray. The best cat I've ever owned, too.
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
This is going to make me sound awfully stingy and closedfisted and cold but... NO. No way. I'm a mom. I have kids. THAT'S where my money will always go. I don't have much and probably never will but they will always come before my pets or any other animals.
Now, if she's a single woman or not a mother, I can totally see why she would do that and it IS very sweet and inspirational. However, the term "crazy cat lady" couldn't help but enter my mind and make me giggle just a little. Not to make light of the wonderful thing she has done but simply as a lighthearted laugh.
07-08-2015, 01:59 PM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
Sarah, I don't think that makes you seem stingy or cold at all. That is a perfectly good reason to not want to do something like this. If at the age of my retirement I had children and / or a family, that would definitely go priority over this. Animals are wonderful, and I love them very much, but there are cases where it is okay to put something else ahead of them, and that is definitely one of those cases!

The "crazy cat lady" picture did come to my mind as well, haha. Smile Especially with 15 cats of her own! I'm a cat lover myself, but I could never have more than 2 at a time, personally; I can't afford to take care of that many, and I want my animals to be part of the best home they could imagine.

Have there been any updates on this story since you posted it, Bloomsie? I'd like to know how it all turned, and if the shelter was a success in improving these stray's lives. It would be wonderful to hear that everything turned out well, and I certainly hope that is the case!
07-08-2015, 03:03 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
(07-08-2015, 11:27 AM)SarahWorksAtHome Wrote: This is going to make me sound awfully stingy and closedfisted and cold but... NO. No way. I'm a mom. I have kids. THAT'S where my money will always go. I don't have much and probably never will but they will always come before my pets or any other animals.
Now, if she's a single woman or not a mother, I can totally see why she would do that and it IS very sweet and inspirational. However, the term "crazy cat lady" couldn't help but enter my mind and make me giggle just a little. Not to make light of the wonderful thing she has done but simply as a lighthearted laugh.

No I get what you mean - I am a mom of one and hopefully one or two more in the future and my child (and future children, perhaps!) and my current pets are my priority. Of course I would love to be able to help every single cause out there but ultimately I don't have the cash to do that!

I got the feeling though that this lady might not have children particularly as she already has so many cats at home...so in that sense I think it's sweet. They are probably a good source of company for her.
11-16-2015, 01:13 PM,
KerriFL Offline

Threads: 2
I know there are many times I would love to do anything and everything I can for animals, but I too am a mother of 3 (like others above me have posted). First and foremost comes my family, anything after that I will do what I can. I wouldn't buy an animal from a breeder or from a pet store. Adoption from shelters is the only way to go in my opinion, why wouldn't I save an animal that is on a very short list compared to those special breeds... It makes me sad to think about the pets in shelters that need love. I would love to volunteer at a shelter but I think I would end up being the "crazy cat lady" if I did, and probably "dog lady" too.

I do have a strong belief that people come before animals though, so no matter how much I want to save them all I would probably put my money towards helping people before helping animals if I were in her situation. I do think it's admirable of her to do what she's doing though. Perhaps you can tell her that a stranger on the internet thinks she is an awesome person, because I really do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often should cats be fed? brianapaige619 13 5,122 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: jamesformtter55
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,124 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,865 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,336 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,480 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,911 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,128 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,674 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,030 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,039 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,523 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,867 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,633 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,029 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,080 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783