LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snooty Cats: You Get What you Give
09-24-2013, 02:53 AM,
glitteringfuzz Offline

Threads: 4
Snooty Cats: You Get What you Give
People say cats are so snooty and independent. Cat haters say they don't like cats because unlike dogs, they're not interactive and have no personality (other than being, well, catty.)

I personally couldn't disagree more! Every cat I have ever had has been dog-like in the sense that they like to fetch, cuddle, lick my face, paw my face, and so on! I feel that with cats, you get what you give.

If you buy a cat because you'll be gone all day and can "ignore" them, they'll ignore you too. But if you start out by showering them with love and affection, the cat will give it back to you. This is just my personal experience. What do you think? Do you have a cat that just won't be nice, no matter how hard you try, or do you agree that cats will match you cuddle for cuddle?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2013, 11:19 PM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Snooty Cats: You Get What you Give
I think that it's actually a little bit of both. It's very important how the cat was raised, of course, we teach them what is acceptable and what is not. If the cat is never petted, she won't be very cuddly, or if she spends a lot of time alone she probably won't be very friendly. But they do have a distinctive personality besides what they're thought. I have two cats, and even though I've had them as kittens and treated them same, they have very different personalities. They are both completely relaxed and trusting around me, of course, but my older cat is very "catty" while the younger one is extremely cuddly and affectionate.
10-04-2013, 11:22 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
We have two cats that we adopted and they were already at least a year old when we got them. I don't know who, if anyone, raised them or where they learned their habits from. They are complete opposites of each other though. The one is playful and generally likes to be pet and rolls over on her back for us to pet her stomach a lot, which I am assuming is a sign of trust to some extent. The other one is much more independent and will let you know when she does and doesn't want to be pet or handled in any way.
10-06-2013, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013, 08:38 AM by Babble64.)
Babble64 Offline

Threads: 3
We have two cats and they have very different personalities. Our tortoise shell calico was raised in this house and we were affectionate to her when she was little. I was a stay at home Mom and my kids and I were around all the time. (LOL...maybe she had TOO much love??) She is pretty stand-offish and doesn't like to be picked up. She'll be affectionate toward some people (no real rhyme or reason there, although I think she can sense who she's safe with) and will rub against you lovingly. But even with me, as her favorite human, she does NOT like to be picked up. She used to sit on my lap a bit, and used to sleep with me, but that changed when cat #2 arrived 1 1/2 years ago. That upset the apple cart a bit (a lot) and although we have achieved a degree of peace there are still days, every now and then, when cat #1 will give me attitude and swat at me for no apparent reason (I think, again, that she can sense when I'M having a bad day and she doesn't like it, puts HER off her comfort level)

So...cat #2 is the most affectionate cat I've ever known. She will jump into your lap two seconds after you sit down and take you over. She licks, snuggles, etc. She does this with people in our family, who she sees regularly, but she'll also do it with anyone who walks through the door. She sleeps on our bed at night....either on my husband or me, or on my pillow, wrapped around my head. She just seems to have been born to be a lover.

Now, what I can say is that the former cat was raised in my household and she was the first indoor cat/kitten I ever had. We'd had some outdoor cats before that but they had all fallen prey to our busy road. So, when we got this little girl I told my family she'd have to be indoor-only. We had always been "dog" people, for the most part. I know I was skittish about having a cat in the house, since I didn't know a lot about them. The latter cat was raised in a household where cats were as much the norm as dogs, and her human family was completely comfortable with cats, and with having them inside the house. (they raised something like 21 over the course of 40 years). So, I DO think that, in some ways, it is possible that the cat's differing personalities are a result of their environment/upbringing. While we didn't NOT give "my" girl love and affection, we certainly weren't as comfortable with her as my new hubby was with "his" girl when she was a kitten.

Thanks, glitteringfuzz, because this is the first time I've really thought about MY discomfort with her as a kitten being a part of the reason for her personality development. And it makes so much sense; I can't understand why I never thought of it before.
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM,
pftsusan Offline

Threads: 3
Both of my cats are indoor cats. The one thing that they have in common is that they both are very sensitive animals who took care of me as well as themselves.

My first baby was a male cat. He was more aggressive and wanted to be held when he wanted it.

My second cat and current baby, doesn't like to be held. She will put up with it and tolerate it, then get back down. She will come and tap me with her paws when she wants attention, with her paws. She sleeps with me every night, which my first cat didn't .

Both are my babies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often should cats be fed? brianapaige619 13 5,121 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: jamesformtter55
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,124 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,865 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,336 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,480 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,909 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,128 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,673 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,030 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,037 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,523 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,866 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,630 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,029 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,080 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783