LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So I finally got a new camera... (Snake Pic Heavy)
12-20-2012, 07:37 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
So I finally got a new camera... (Snake Pic Heavy)

Now I am learning how to use it, lol.  It's the closest to higher end digital camera I've had.  It's still just a point and shoot, a Nikon L310, but I figured I should start of smaller until I learned a bit, so I'd know what actual features I was looking for in a DSLR.  It's got a 21x zoom, continuous shooting, and some other cool features.  The only thing it doesn't have that I think would be useful is an ability to set the aperture, not that I kow much about that anyways, lol.

So I took a bunch of outdoor photos, some of them came out great.

First up is a close up of my caramel jaguar coastal carpet python, she is close to shedding so she looks a bit dull, but I couldn't resist...

A shot of my male coastal jaguar carpet python ...

A few shots of my Jungle carpet python, she was actualy fairly cooperative for once, lol

Here's a good example of my aperture/focus problem, even though the body of the snake is only an inch or two deeper than the head, I can't force the camera to hold all of it in focus.  Still a good shot though...

A shot of my unknown lineage intergrade carpet female...

A few of a female 75/25 jungle/coastal intergrade...

And a pic of her evil brother...

Afew of my female bredls python, She's about halfway through her shed cycle, I can't wait to get her out for some new pics in her new skin in a month or so...

A few of my Biak x Aru green tree python...

A few of my Suriname BCC (Boa constrictor constrictor)...

And my female Hogg island boa...

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 03:10 AM,
Thor Online
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: So I finally got a new camera... (Snake Pic Heavy)
Good day, Dave.
It looks like both you and your snakes have had some fun with the new camera. Big Grin Great pictures of beautiful snakes! Lucky you live in Florida, nice weather even in the winter. I do not believe Michigan is a good place for snakes or snake owners.

Did you catch the attention of anyone else while your snakes were posing for photos for you?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2012, 04:05 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Oh, you know, you always get "that" look from some people, lol. I made the mail lady cross the street to go from my house to my neighbors, lol. At the same time there are always people who stop and ask questions, it goes both ways.
12-21-2012, 04:46 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
I am not familiar with that camera. How much did you pay for it?
Even if it says 21x zoom, it is the best not to zoom at all if you can simply move closer for the picture. When you zoom in, you lose picture quality.

Your Hogg island boa looks sleepy. Tongue
12-21-2012, 05:37 AM,
Fishbone Offline

(12-21-2012, 04:46 AM)Ram Wrote: I am not familiar with that camera. How much did you pay for it?
Even if it says 21x zoom, it is the best not to zoom at all if you can simply move closer for the picture. When you zoom in, you lose picture quality.

Your Hogg island boa looks sleepy. Tongue

I actually went out on thanksgiving night in the "black Friday" madness, which now apparently starts on Thursday, lol. About $100 with a 16 gb memory card. I think the camera retails around $200 from what I saw.

And Ram, if you have a good optical zoom lens, you loose no quality at all, assuming you have things set up right. The "digital zoom" that allot of things have now is a different story...
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM,
amberra824 Offline

Threads: 4
I couldn't help but comment on this. I'm a huge snake lover (although my mother resents me for it - she's terrified of them!) and these pictures are gorgeous! I had to pause in what I was doing and sit here staring at the photos for well over ten minutes, entranced. The quality of the photos alone were far better than what I'm used to, probably because the closest to a "camera" that I have is my iPod Touch Tongue (Thank goodness I've finally upgraded to the new 5th generation - the camera is far superior and more advanced than the one on the 4th generation. It actually has flash!) So that alone makes me love the pictures. But your snakes...they are simply breathtaking. And you seemed to get them to pose for you so perfectly! Haha, the angles at which those pictures were taken, and their pose in them, is just beautifully done.

Suffice it to say that I like the photos Tongue
01-25-2013, 06:54 AM,
Fishbone Offline

(01-23-2013, 09:46 PM)amberra824 Wrote: I couldn't help but comment on this. I'm a huge snake lover (although my mother resents me for it - she's terrified of them!) and these pictures are gorgeous! I had to pause in what I was doing and sit here staring at the photos for well over ten minutes, entranced. The quality of the photos alone were far better than what I'm used to, probably because the closest to a "camera" that I have is my iPod Touch Tongue (Thank goodness I've finally upgraded to the new 5th generation - the camera is far superior and more advanced than the one on the 4th generation. It actually has flash!) So that alone makes me love the pictures. But your snakes...they are simply breathtaking. And you seemed to get them to pose for you. so perfectly! Haha, the angles at which those pictures were taken, and their pose in them, is just beautifully done.

Suffice it to say that I like the photos Tongue

Thanks! "Posing" is not the word I would use for it, lol. When I do photos of the snakes, I take ALLOT of pictures, the camera I have now has a few different "continuous shooting" modes, which I use. Also adjusting the settings at times, white balance, macro on or off, ISO, etc... For every picture I save, I delete quite a few. I don't want to say it's luck, but I sort through allot and keep the ones I like. And all this depends on exactly how cooperative the animals want to be on the day I want to photograph... Dodgy

But thanks again for the compliments Smile Here's another, a closeup of my Dominican red mountain boa, Phoenix. He was far more concerned with exploring than staying anything resembling still. His colours are amazing in the sun, but he wouldn't cooperate that day Sad

[Image: 111846_267186_VeryLarge_pVDHnLn6iuDzC.jpg]
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM,
amberra824 Offline

Threads: 4
You're very welcome for the compliments Smile
Ahh, that makes sense - I have to do the same thing when I take pictures with my cat. I take literally dozens of pictures at a time, and only some of them turn out right Tongue It's too bad that animals aren't more cooperative. They're so beautiful and they do the most interesting things; but when you try to take photos to remember, they just don't stop moving!

I absolutely love that guy's coloring <3 It almost reminds me of rust on metal, with the white/gray/silver scales and the orange/brown ones. For him not being cooperative, you still got a pretty good picture Tongue
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM,
Heffalumps Offline

Threads: 2
Wow, your snakes are absolutely gorgeous! I'm really rather jealous, I can't have snakes, I still live with my parents and my mother would blow a gasket. It's always nice to look at them though and wish haha. I don't think snakes would be quite as happy living up here in the frigid north as they are down in Florida though. Really though, the colors on those snakes are just amazing, what cuties.

And you got a deal on that camera, the best camera I have is an old Olympus from the early 2000's. I'm jealous of your snakes and your camera. You lucky duck Tongue
02-06-2013, 09:29 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
You take beautiful pictures. Are these all your own snakes? I agree Florida, is about the best place to have the bigger pythons as it is tropical and mostly warm all year except for December and January, and bits of Feburary. We lived not far from Ft Myers, our neighbors were not aware we had the snakes. I was glad thou when my husband sold two of them, as they were getting too big to keep three in one cage.
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Thanks Guys. Yes they are all mine. Most of those are different species and subspecies of carpet pythons, with a green tree python and a couple boas added to the end for variety Wink None of these really get that big, I have very little interest in any of the giant constrictors, not to mention they are all but completely illegal in Florida.

And just for fun, another critter, this is Tigger, a striped coastal carpet python...

[Image: 78160_267168_VeryLarge_U8yAxEmpjUDo8I5.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pet Snake Worries :( solar481 10 7,143 12-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Syrinx
  funny idea: can you put a collar on a snake? amanda509 5 6,067 04-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Last Post: remnant
  How about taking your snake for a walk? Victor Leigh 19 27,038 04-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Danihell
  Bad Snakes and Snake Lovers MformantSecor 6 6,206 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Chevy
Question How to tell when a snake will go to the bathroom Arian22092 1 3,272 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ThatJagDoe
  Adopting a snake and learning PandaMom 0 3,032 07-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Last Post: PandaMom
  How often do you feed your pet snake? Ram 8 46,523 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Gayla Ray Kent
  How tall can a snake stand up? Ram 5 20,486 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Fishbone
  Snake Hunting Memories 4sweed 4 5,608 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: 4sweed
  How to tell the mood of a snake? Ram 5 34,125 02-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Last Post: AnnaU93
  My Life With A Snake Hunter 4sweed 0 2,449 02-07-2013, 05:35 AM
  Cage or tank for pet snake? Ram 10 9,051 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
  baby Sped all grown up! (timeline, pic heavy) amanda509 3 2,335 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ram
  i got him!!! welcome thor! (no, not the admin, my snake hehe) amanda509 7 4,157 12-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Last Post: SereneScales
  the best way to get snake poop out of water? amanda509 3 3,602 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Fishbone