LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tail Chasing
09-28-2012, 04:32 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Tail Chasing
Does your dog like to chase his tail? I mean it used to be cute back when they were puppies but eventually it comes a fixating behavior which isn't a good thing.

I remember having a puppy who loved chasing his tail. Fortunately, he's now grown up and hasn't shown signs of being mad at it. I've seen cases of dogs that does this tirelessly. Sometimes, it even comes to a point that they're about to kill the tail.

Do you have a dog that chases his tail? What did you do to stop it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2012, 10:50 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Big Grin  RE: Tail Chasing
My little girl only used to chase her tail when she was a puppy, but when she grew up she stopped doing it. The only thing she would chase was me when I would play or if I threw around some food for her (her favorite thing in the world!)

I don't think it's a terrible thing if they're chasing tails because I think it means it's wet or bored.
09-29-2012, 05:21 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Tail Chasing
Misha is three and she chasing her tail. She only does it in play. She doesn't do it every day, so I don't see it as a fixation. I don't do anything to stop it.

She'll be throwing the hedgehog around the living room when out of nowhere she'll spy her tail. Then, she'll spin around in circles until she decides that game is over. As quickly, she goes back to the hedgehog.

My Lab used to play with her tail, but in a different way. She'd be laying down minding her own business. Then, she would thump her tail up and down, teasing herself with it. All of sudden, she would strike. She never bit very hard. I'm assuming she knew it was her own tail teasing her.
09-30-2012, 04:31 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Threads: 10
My dog chases her tail still. She is 3 years old now and I still think it is cute. lol. Smile Yes, it used to be cuter when she was younger, but I still laugh when she does it. I guess it is more annoying when she is in the house and does it because she tends to not things over because she is a pretty big dog, but I don't mind when she does it outside.
10-01-2012, 09:52 AM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
My dog chased his tail as a puppy. For him, everything is all about fun and games, and it was just another fun game to play. He grew out of it though, I think he enjoys his actual toys more. I think he figured out that once he catches his tail, there's not much else to do with it. He actually did catch his tail and hold onto it once, still spinning in circles for a bit, then rolling over with his tail still in his mouth. It was hilarious.
My youngest dog never chased her tail, probably because it's curly and small, so there's not much to chase.
My first dog chased his tail pretty much his whole life though. It would just be when he was hyper and felt like doing it. We're not sure if it was because he didn't realize it was part of him, or if he was just doing it for fun. He would only do it for a few minutes then move on to a toy after that though.
10-03-2012, 03:11 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
I don't remember any of my dogs ever chasing their tail. Even as a puppy I don't actually remember them doing this. In fact, the only time I have seen any of my dogs go around in a circle is when they are getting ready to lay down on the floor. I figure this is their way I checking the area around them before settling down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preventing Happy Tail dashboardc33 0 1,866 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Last Post: dashboardc33
  Cosmetic Tail Docking and Ear Cropping haopee 6 2,665 09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Last Post: ACSAPA