LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cage issue
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
The cage issue
I remember my family always trying out new ways to get their parrot out of the cage. I also remember how much I laughed because he was so stubborn.
I now realize how hard it must have been getting parrots of the cage and it is very critical as well... how do you think about it and what's a better way to make the parrots get used to it and so they don't get hurt by putting them again back into the cage (due to being stubborn)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 12:42 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: The cage issue
Some birds become "cage bound" because they feel safe and secure in their cage. It's usually not just stubbornness - it's an actual phobia, kind of like agoraphobia in humans. The best thing to do is to not force it. If you try to force the bird out, he'll just get more scared and determined to stay inside. Just open the cage door so he can get out if he chooses, and then leave him alone. You can try to gently coax him by leaving a favorite treat outside the door. My cockatiel was afraid to come out of his cage when I first got him, but now he likes to come out and hang out with us every evening.
03-28-2013, 12:58 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I agree with jenb that forcing the issue will only make it worse. You need to identify the things that are making your parrot wary about leaving its cage. Is it scared of sounds in the room or is there too much activity? Make the area you want your parrot to go to comfortable and safe for it. If it feels safe then it will eventually leave the cage on its own.
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
I would make sure the tv was turned off and the curtains were closed so nothing outside can startle the bird. If you need him to come out, then try putting gloves on and get the parrot to sit on your one hand and hold his legs gently together. Take your other hand and hold his wings closed so as not to get caught on the cage door and gently remove him, placing him on a perch outside the cage, but in an area that he can not escape from. Some people have special restraints to keep parrots on a perch, others just keep them in a room. Give the parrot time to adjust to being outside his cage in a quiet place, then return him to the cage in the same manner. Give him a special treat afterwards.
I used this method with my parrots and the birds remained calm and got used to being handled and enjoyed being outside the cage for short periods of time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you cage your birds? Eudora13 6 4,831 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Do you let your birds out of their cage? BobCat 12 6,267 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? Ram 7 20,542 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Last Post: TheBrit
  Can different kinds of birds share a cage? bellahpereira 7 27,741 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: SueA555
  Have you ever had a bird you can take out of the cage without fly away? Ram 4 3,347 02-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Last Post: carabrookelle