LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triops
09-06-2012, 07:19 PM,
Julie Offline

Threads: 8
Triops
I bought a friend's son a triops kit for his birthday. Everything went well with the first batch of eggs. He got 6 great triops and he drew them and wrote about them.

He gave them all names and swore that they had differnet personalities (I coldn't see this myself).

He's now started the second batch and his school have asked him to take them in. They were impressed with his careful record keeping because he hates to write.

Does anyone else keep triops?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2012, 12:28 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
RE: Triops
(09-06-2012, 07:19 PM)Julie Wrote: I bought a friend's son a triops kit for his birthday. Everything went well with the first batch of eggs. He got 6 great triops and he drew them and wrote about them.

He gave them all names and swore that they had differnet personalities (I coldn't see this myself).

He's now started the second batch and his school have asked him to take them in. They were impressed with his careful record keeping because he hates to write.

Does anyone else keep triops?

i used to, but mine would all eat eachother and only one would reach adulthood. i named him ray. he loved worms though, they were his favorite! wish i had taken pics of him, but sadly i did not..ive been considering getting some more, but i only want the eggs, not the whole kit..
09-11-2012, 03:44 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
I have never kept nor heard of such kit for Triops.

Is this what you've been talking about?
[Image: 220px-Triops_longicaudatus2.jpg]

It looks interest. Would you mind to share a photo or link to the kit? Smile As well as some more of your experience using it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM,
Julie Offline

Threads: 8
Hello amanda 509 and Thor.

Amanda - "Ray" sounds like a bit of a character - and they do seem to have distinct personalities. I read that they can be carnivorous and that is why specially designed Triop aquariums have sections that can closed off from each other.

Thor - the kit that I bought for my friend's son was bought in France and was all in French, so the link will not be relevant here. However, they are readily available via Amazon and from any site that sells science-based toys and activities for kids.

And yes, the photo your provided is an adult triops - they are prehistoric animals and the whole process of raising them is fascinating and educative.

The kits come with everything that you need to raise triops - apart from deminaralised water. The kit I bought was aimed at 10+ age group and encouraged the child to keep a diary and to draw pictures. The instruction book came with a day-by-day planner from setting up the aquarium to the expactation of the first sign of life about 4 - 7 days later.

Triops live for up to 90 days and I have since sourced more eggs for him here in France. Apparently, some colonies can go on producing more triops - but eggs are inexpensive if this doesn't happen.

I've seen sites in which adults have great satisfaction from raising and keeping triops - so they are not just for kids.