LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Types of Hamsters?
12-16-2012, 04:13 AM,
PMom Offline

Threads: 3
Types of Hamsters?
I'm curious, hamster owners, about your hamsters. I know that the golden, or Syrian, hamsters are the most common pet hamsters, and that dwarf hamsters are also available.

But I was doing research on a hamster article and I see that there's several other types of hamsters, like the Romanian hamster and the European varieties of black-bellied hamsters. Are these also kept as pets? I've never seen them available, but then again, I don't think I ever looked -- or even thought to look.

In addition, the IUCN has several hamsters as endangered or threatened in the wild, mostly due to their limited range and threatened habitat. I'd love to hear your input on this.

Thanks so much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 03:36 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Types of Hamsters?
Interesting how many different types of hamsters there are out there. I have had the golden hamster and the teddy bear hamster in the past. The teddy bear hamster is very adorable, but keep in mind though that these can also be hamsters who are quite characters, and a hand full.
12-22-2012, 12:49 PM,
Navywife Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
My favorite hamster is the Winter White. It is so unique, because it changes colors every so often. There are so many different types of hamsters, but hands down the Winter White is my favorite
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM,
amberra824 Offline

Threads: 4
I had a teddy bear hamster named Theodore for about two years. Theo was pretty much just as pafjlk (I hope I got that username right, sorry if I didn't) said - he was incredibly adorable, and everyone would come over to visit him. But he was also a handful, and always getting into trouble. He was fun, though, and he never bit anyone or anything like that. If I were ever to get another hamster, it would probably be another teddy bear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What types of pets have you had? And what would you like to have? Treeca86 16 6,522 09-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Friendly Ferret
  tumors/illness common in hamsters? rdahl125 1 4,865 03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Rube
  question about hamsters leelawd 2 1,761 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Last Post: thetit4n