Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What antivirus protections do you use?
05-16-2015, 04:07 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
What antivirus protections do you use?
With all the viruses, worms, malware, spyware, rootkit, trojan, etc. out there, it is truly a dangerous time for ordinary computer users.

Some of the "keyloggers" can record every keystroke you make on your keyboard, and send the information back to the hackers. It is one of the ways the hackers use to obtain your personal information such as email password, bank account access, and credit card information.

Some malware can allow hackers to take control of your computer completely and acting as a bot for them to do their bidding without your knowledge.

Even less harmful viruses can slow down your computer and making it suffer performance problems to affect your normal operations on your computer.

It is highly recommended for everyone use some form of extra security protection on your computers.

My current set up Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes.

Kaspersky is the #1 in virus detection, and the Kaspersky Internet Security suite not only contains antivirus program, it also has software firewall which is far superior compare to the native firewall of Microsoft Windows. I have read it somewhere, some hackers who make viruses have said that it is the hardest to crack the defense of Kaspersky. Some independent tests used more than 100k viruses samples to test all of the major antivirus programs resulted in Kaspersky being on the top with 100% detection rate.

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program, but it is specialized in detect malware and spyware. It can be used along side of any antivirus program on the same computer. I used to use the freebie version which only offer the on demand scanner without real time protection. Now I have upgraded to the paid version, the real time protection really works its wonder on blocking dangerous stuff when browsing around the internet.

The question is, what antivirus protections do you use on your computer?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2015, 04:32 PM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
RE: What antivirus protections do you use?
I have tried both McAfee and Norton, and didn't care for either one. I finally settled on AVG. It's free and it works. I've also considered re-formatting and installing Ubuntu OS. It is practically virus free, because not too many viruses have been written for it.
Find all posts by this user
06-26-2015, 06:34 AM,
Nieris Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
(05-30-2015, 04:32 PM)thegrey Wrote: I have tried both McAfee and Norton, and didn't care for either one.

Good call! McAfee and Norton are both terrible anti-virus programs that act like viruses themselves and "protect" your computer in really sloppy ways. McAfee, for example, has been known to block ports that basically disable all internet access. Yeah, if you're not online you're not at risk for viruses, but that misses the point of an anti-virus software! That'd be like removing your liver to prevent cirrhosis.

AVG is a good one. Other good picks are Avast!, BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Panda Security. For home computing, the free versions of all of these brands are just fine.
06-28-2015, 01:04 PM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
(06-26-2015, 06:34 AM)Nieris Wrote: Good call! McAfee and Norton are both terrible anti-virus programs that act like viruses themselves and "protect" your computer in really sloppy ways. McAfee, for example, has been known to block ports that basically disable all internet access. Yeah, if you're not online you're not at risk for viruses, but that misses the point of an anti-virus software! That'd be like removing your liver to prevent cirrhosis.

AVG is a good one. Other good picks are Avast!, BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Panda Security. For home computing, the free versions of all of these brands are just fine.
LOL Love the analogy of the liver! I have referred to McAfee as a virus also. It takes over your computer! I like AVG. I haven't tried Avast, but I've heard good things about it.
12-07-2015, 01:41 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
I used to pay for Norton antivirus every day until the free "Active Virus Shield" offered by AOL which was really rebranded Kaspersky. Then AOL no longer works with Kaspersky, so I switched to free version of AVG as I had already get used to the freebie. Over the years, I switched back and forth among the freebie programs which included AVG, Antivir, Avast, etc. Right now I am also using the paid version of Kaspersky. I paid for one license for three computers while it was on sale for only $26 if I remember correctly, and I think it was a good deal.

As for Malwarebytes, they used to offer "Lifetime" license for $10. You could pay just $10 and own one license forever. A few years ago they switched to subscription based model. Now you have to pay them every year to keep the license working. It is worth the money if you are a heavy internet user.
11-02-2017, 11:53 PM,
Samilly Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I installed Norton antivirus. I'm satisfied with this antivirus
05-16-2019, 10:04 PM,
CodyCobey Offline

I think VPNs are good to protect your PC these days. I use Express VPN in this regard.
09-01-2021, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2021, 07:34 PM by CodyCobey.)
CodyCobey Offline

(05-16-2019, 10:04 PM)CodyCobey Wrote: I think VPNs are good to protect your PC these days. I use Express VPN in this regard.

In this regard, you can find these kinds https://digitalcruch.com/free-vpn-chrome-extension/ of Chrome VPN extensions while browsing websites or social media from your desktop. However, the use of free VPNs is only good for browsers like Chrome etc. only. For mobile applications, you should go with paid versions of VPN apps like Express, Hola etc. By the way, I have also used the Master VPN application to change my IP location from mobile and yes, it was also a good experience with this free to use a mobile application.
11-16-2021, 01:21 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(05-16-2019, 10:04 PM)CodyCobey Wrote: I think VPNs are good to protect your PC these days. I use Express VPN in this regard.

VPN is more like anti-hacking.   To hide your true IP, your computer is less likely to be breached by hackers, and the information you send is less likely to be intercepted by hackers.   
However, you can definitely get viruses, malware, etc., while using VPN.  After all, you actually load the internet content on your computer.  If those internet pages and content are compromised, the malware and viruses they contain will be downloaded onto your computer anyway with or without a VPN.   Good anti-virus software like Kaspersky will block unauthorized downloads in this case.

That's why a VPN is no substitution for anti-virus software.
05-31-2022, 07:56 AM,
Busbyx Offline

Threads: 0
I use NordVPN when need to protect data or linked to public WiFi.