LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do pets mean to you?
09-01-2013, 02:37 PM,
A0130 Offline

Threads: 10
What do pets mean to you?
For me, pets are family. They are as precious to me as my own brothers and sisters. Pets provide unconditional love and dogged loyalty. I own a bird and a dog. My bird is a bit more cold but has made amazing strides in the past 2 months. My dog can be snippy and testy, but at the end of the day he curls up next to me in bed and snoozes away.

What do pets mean to you? Are they entertainment? Are they family? Are they just fluffy friends to hang around with?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2013, 11:30 PM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What do pets mean to you?
I see my cats as both family and friends (and sometimes a bit of entertainment, I admit it). I care about them and protect them, as with any family member (maybe even more so with them, since they can't feed and protect themselves). Since they both have very distinct personalities, we don't always get along perfectly, but we work it out, like any good friends would. They're also always there to comfort me. And their shenanigans often give me a good laugh. It's really the perfect relationship. Big Grin
09-04-2013, 01:44 AM,
Tribie Offline

Threads: 5
I think I have a bias but cats and dogs are considered as family but other pets are just pets. This doesn't mean that we don't take care of other pets as well but I think other pets are rather "impersonal" in nature. I don't talk to my fish or birds or hamster. I can't cuddle them and baby them like I do with my cats and dogs. I used to have chickens and since they would let me cuddle them, they were considered as family. They all died of old age. Not a single one was eaten.
09-05-2013, 09:26 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
My Yorkies are my babies! I love them like they are part of the family! They are definitely spoiled! It is amazing how attached you can become to a pet. My Yorkies are so loyal, loving and always happy to see me. I can leave for 30 mins to run an errand and when I come back, you would think that I have been gone for days! They are jumping all over me and licking me all over my face, so happy and excited that I am home! They are my little shadows! They definitely are good company and have made my life happier!
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM,
Eudora13 Offline

Threads: 3
My pets are my babies and families and I cant imagine my life without them! I have to see them first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed. The fact that these wordless dumb creatures can trust us humans so blindly and love us so loyally just makes my heart melt! Losing them would be as bad as losing the closest of close family!
09-07-2013, 12:10 AM,
Babble64 Offline

I like Renee's comment about pets being family and friends. I agree! In my best human relationships the care giving, love and support goes both ways, and it works that way with my girls (two cats) too. I've been loving one since she was a kitten, and she's been loving me back for a long time. She's been there when times were tough mentally and emotionally. She's not always the easiest friend to care for, because she has her own moods and sometimes that means she's stand-offish or seemingly mean. But I've come to understand her and give and accept love in ways that work for her, just as she has for me. Even though occasionally she'll get ornery and swat me, I still feel that she is my most precious, beautiful friend and I'm so grateful to have her in my life. She's a treasure. Even though she's 15 I'm still "learning" her, and learning from her. So many life lessons inherent in our relationship!

The newer addition to my family is completely different in temperament and I love her as well. She's kind and cuddly, curious and bold. And, even though I've known her for only a few years, she's still my sweetheart. She also gives me love, comfort and support in ways that work for her and, in turn, I put up with her sneezing on me all the time!
09-13-2013, 01:09 AM,
cliverederson Offline

Yeah, I believe a pet is like a child, especially with my dog. I try to research everything about proper care, give her the healthiest food, brush her teeth, etc. to give her the best care possible. I decided to take on her life, so to speak, so I want to provide for her the best I can. I'm always disturbed by people who can just give their pets away, especially to shelters. But that being said, I did actually give away my turtle. I felt as though I did it because it was what was best for him though. Turtles aren't dependent on humans like dogs are, they're basically wild animals imprisoned by us instead, in my opinion. My turtle got bigger and bigger, and I kept getting a bigger tank for him and I ultimately just felt like I was caging a poor animal who needed more space. Luckily we found a nice family in Florida wanting turtles for a pond in their yard, which is now where he lives and I can't help but think he's much happier. I believe part of caring for an animal is doing what's best for it, and I believe I did the right thing with the turtle and his quality of life has surely improved. I think about him from time to time, I wish I could know how he's doing, how big he is now, etc.
09-15-2013, 05:36 AM,
kristyleann Offline

Threads: 0
I think pets are definitely family, or at least they should be. I hate it when people get animals and treat them like novelty toys. It breaks my heart. Unfortunately I'm pretty much the only person (besides my boyfriend) that I know that thinks like that. A friend of mine recently told me about some people she knew that suddenly moved away and the landlord of their old house finally (after several months) got around to going in the house to clean things up and found a bunch of dead cats they had left behind. My friend acted like it was not that big a deal. I was shocked. I never had much respect for those people anyway (based on what I know about them) but if I ever had an ounce of respect for them it's gone now.

The way I see it is that pets don't ask to be your pet...or anyone's pet. If you decide to get one you have the responsibility of giving it the best life possible. I'll even admit I probably don't do as much as I should for my dog but I certainly try. She is happy, healthy and loved and she knows it. Smile And she is my best friend because I honestly believe that no one will ever love you as much as a dog will. Smile
09-17-2013, 03:28 AM,
intothebleach Offline

My dogs are certainly my kids. I refer to them as my fur kids. I wouldnt be here if it wasnt for them, I have had a pretty rough few years and they have got me through it. They know when I am upset and they like to cuddle up to me. They are wonderful and I cant understand people who are cruel to animals.
Sometimes I prefer the company of my fur kids to humans
09-17-2013, 08:08 AM,
pftsusan Offline

Both of my cats, living and passed, are my babies. They are very sensitive animals. They love me uncontionally and I love them unconditionally. I consider them my fur kids. They got me through some very rought times. I consider them my fur kids. I prefer them over some of the human relationships that I had.
09-21-2013, 02:38 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Our family is pretty dysfunctional and tends to fight and argue a lot. We are often at each others throats when we are all in the house together, especially around the holidays. I would say our pets, especially the three dogs we had, were peacemakers and mediators. They would take our attention away from fighting with each other and getting angry with each other - instead we would focus on them and play with them, and relax.
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM,
nomibucha Offline

Threads: 1
Haha I think that pets are suppose to feel that way. Like they are a part of your family and your lives and they always will be Smile I always think that my pets are my best friends because whenever I'm sad or going through something, they comfort me, without all the drama and questions. They just cuddle up next to me and my day is already better Smile
01-19-2014, 05:34 AM,
MformantSecor Offline

Threads: 2
I would tend to agree with users such as cliverederson, pftsusan, and intothebleach. My dogs are definitely my children. I don't even want children in real life, but the maternal feelings I have towards my two dogs is unreal. I've always had more understanding and love for animals than I do for human children, as strange as that may seem. I don't really like cats, and am definitely a dog lover, but I understand that people feel equally strong about including them as members of the family. I would do anything for my dogs just as a mother would for her children. That being said, to me, pets are definitely family.

I don't think this bond is exclusive to dogs and cats either. On another post I was just talking about Kevin Richardson, "The Lion Whisperer," and the amazing bonds he has with his hand-raised lions. Other times there have been elephants that had extremely deep bonds and attachments to their handlers in captivity. I do believe that some mammals tend to form these types of familial bonds over other species such as reptiles and birds, but that does not mean that pet owners do not care just as deeply about their pets to consider them as family.
01-20-2014, 09:00 PM,
Sunshinegurl Offline
Registered

My three Chihuahuas are just like my children. They are adorable, fun, sometimes annoying but always in a good way! They are very intelligent and know most human commands. If I am having a rough day they always find a way to bring my spirits up!♥♡♥
02-01-2014, 01:24 PM,
wander_n_wonder Offline

I didn't really like pets before until I had a dog. It's so good having a friend as loyal as a dog. I talk to him and I can see and feel that he is genuinely listening and is genuinely concerned about what I'm saying. You don't always experience that when talking to people. Some people just don't care. My dog is very important to me and I even bring him with me whenever I travel. I like discovering places together with him and I know he's always there to protect me as well. Had I know that this is how it feels to have a dog, I would have started when I was much younger. It's so comforting to have a pet, especially when you know that he loves you so much as well.
03-18-2014, 10:45 AM,
kindredsoul Offline

Threads: 4
I have five Terrie/mixes and they are my life. Through the years, I have dated many nice men, but when I found out they did not like dogs I was concerned because to me, it was like they did not like my children. In the beginning, lots of guys would say they loved dogs, but not as much as me. I have always wanted to keep my dogs inside on the couches. I also like to play outside with them or take them on walks. I noticed that even if I liked a guy, I would harbor some resentment because they did not share my love of dogs. Nowadays, when I get serious with a guy, I have him go on dog walks with me. I also check to see how he acts when my dogs lick his face and jump up on him. If he can pass the doggy test, which means he doesn't freak out when my dogs are all over him--he gets to try to win me over to become his future girlfriend. I have not found the guy for me yet, but in time I will and he can join my family.
07-26-2014, 01:06 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

Threads: 2
Pets are fabulous friends as well as members of the family. I have loved all of pets I have had since childhood. From dogs to cats to all species of fish, hedgehogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, rats, mice, lizards, frogs, geckos, and newts. Many pets had lived for years, and we developed such a close bond. Had a Beta for 5 1/2 years, family cats live 20 plus years, my our personal cat live 12 years, she got sick, and a 5 year old hairless rat. Miss my kitty, Beta and rat terribly, a true loss of a family member.
07-27-2014, 01:26 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
I have a little dog and she is like family to me. I actually think of her as one of my children. She likes to cuddle up close to me when I sit down to watch tv or when I go to bed at night. She follows me from room to room and always whats to be near me. She gives a lot of love and I love her back.
07-27-2014, 03:53 AM,
Mimzy Offline

I am a stay-at-home mom with kids in school and my husband works crazy, long hours, so my pets are my company so I don't get lonely. I don't know what I'd do without them. I guess I'm a nurturer by nature. They also help teach my kids about responsibility, patience, and caring for others, which is invaluable. They absolutely are thought of as family members and we all love them very much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,663 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,547 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,833 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant