LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next pet you planning to get?
09-03-2013, 06:15 AM,
sarahlou Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What is the next pet you planning to get?
I hope to get a Newfoundland dog, I think they're beautiful, and they look so cuddly. I've never owned a large dog, only medium, so I think it would awesome to have such a huge creature around the house. The important thing is training of course. I mean, it's important with all dogs but even more so with larger breeds, as they can do more damage than small breeds. Even if it's well-intentioned, a large dog jumping on you can easily knock you over.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 03:52 PM,
Whitney Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
I am thinking that I may get another dog depending on what my new house is like. I don't want a small dog, but a big dog, one that needs little exercise as I will probably only have a small yard or court yard. The dog needs to be well behaved in door and I am also looking at getting a dog that is out of the puppy stage, perhaps one that is a year old. Perhaps a labrador, or a beagle as I love those breeds or a mixed breed would be fine. And I am also definitely going to get a cat too, as I miss having a cat. i practically grew up with cats around all my life so having a cat around is important to me.
09-09-2013, 03:06 AM,
Babble64 Offline

Threads: 3
We don't currently have any plans for a new pet, but I know my husband and I like the idea of having another dog some day. A dog wouldn't fit into our lifestyle right now, so it wouldn't be fair to us, or the dog, to get one now. But we both have such loving, fond memories of dogs we've had and we'd love to have that again. Our cats are wonderful friends and they can't be replaced by a dog (nor would we WANT them to be!) My husband has the capacity to have many pets at once, but I don't. I do think I'd like a chance, one day, to train a dog properly. My sweet lab/redbone coonhound mix wasn't properly trained, poor girl. (she was the best dog, ever, though, as she aged!) and I'd like to have time to put that special effort into a dog. Both my husband and I have had "mutts" in the past, so a certain breed isn't really important, although we would want a medium-to-large sized dog.
10-04-2013, 11:35 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
I wouldn't mind getting a boston terrier. As much as I loved all three of the dogs I had, I am wary of getting another one of the same of any of their breeds. It would just feel like an impostor dog to replace any one of them. My bosses got another beagle after they had to put their current beagle to sleep and it kind of bothered me when I would see it around the office because it took over the old beagles stomping grounds.
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Right now, I have three dogs, two of which are senior dogs. One of them is much younger, and just a little larger, although she is probably not a lot over 10 lbs either.
So I don't really want to get another dog, unless one of the older ones dies, and then I might or might not get another dog.
I have really thought about getting a cat though. I have loved cats, and had a cat for most of my life, but my husband does not like cats at all, so I up gave away my two Persian cats right after we got married, and haven't had a cat since.

However, we live out of town, and quite a ways off of the main road, and I don't see any reason why I could not get a cat, and it could be an inside/outside cat.
This is the time of year that mice want to come inside and be warmer, and Tootsie, my little a heeled mix has caught 2-3 mice, so I think that having a cat around to actually hunt these mice would be a great idea.
I haven't talked my husband into this as of yet, but I am working on getting a nice cat one of these days.
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM,
millshre Offline

Threads: 2
Currently we only have one dog, a deaf rescue aussie who is about 2 years old. We're renting and will probably be moving a couple of more times and we have no idea when we'll be able to buy a house of our own, so she'll probably be all we have for awhile. I eventually would like to have a large aquarium (not sure what types of fish yet, but I can't wait to be able to decide!), a uromastyx (I've wanted one for ages!), and MAYBE a snake. I really love brazilian rainbow boas. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to have one, though. We'll see what our situation is in a few years. Our dream is to live on enough land to have a hobby farm so if that ends up happening we'll have some chickens for sure and maybe goats. Possibly some outdoor cats. My son and I are both allergic to cats so we can't have indoor ones, but we love them so much! Maybe I'll win the lottery and have enough land to rescue all of the homeless pets I find. Wink
03-18-2014, 03:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM by kindredsoul.)
kindredsoul Offline

Threads: 4
(06-08-2012, 06:36 AM)Fishbone Wrote: I'm not sure where you live, but many states in the US, and some other countries too, have banned the sale of turtles under 4". All reptiles are prone to carry small amounts of salmonella in their digestive systems, and normally out really isn't that big of an issue. But as aquatic turtles generally defecate in their water, the salmonella can grow to a high level fairly quickly in the water. Meaning that the turtle can basically end up covered in it. And allot of those turtles were bought for young children, and children and toddlers can have a tendency to put things in their mouths, and are also at a higher risk of salmonella infections.

I'm never one for talking someone out of a reptile as a pet, but just wanted to add that as something to think about. As long as you filter and clean the water regally, and supervise young children, and make sure they don't put them in their mouths and wash their hands, all of the risk is eliminated.

This is great information, thank you for sharing. I saw on Entertainment Tonight a story about a boy around 8 or 9 who actually died soon after his parents bought a lizard for him. He used to carry it around on his shoulder a lot, and for some reason his parents figured out that his death was caused by the bacteria from the lizard. Strangely, he had had many lizards in the past, but they were certain that it was the latest lizard that got the boy sick. They said on the show that it was the type of lizard that got him sick. I don't know. It wasn't a fake show. The parents seemed genuinely upset. Because of that story, I am waiting until my preschooler is older to get a lizard. I like lizards; I think they are interesting to watch.

I would like to get a pot-bellied pig, but I don't know if they get along with dogs. I haven't done the research because I know that I am over the pet limit right now and I don't want to get in trouble with the city. That being said, I still can get a fish, and so I will be going to the pet store soon to get a gold one. There is a show for preschoolers that features a goldfish called "Hush," and so that is what my son and I are going to name him. I also would like a cat, but I know that wouldn't be a good idea either with my five dogs. What can I say, I like all pets!
03-30-2014, 07:10 AM,
Padwolf Offline

Now I've moved out with my boyfriend, we already have a hamster, so the next move is to get a cat once our hamster sadly passes. We both really want to adopt a cat. We would love to have a dog, but it's just going to be so expensive. Hopefully by the time it comes to getting a cat we will both have jobs and will have enough money to support having both a cat and a dog. If we get a cat, I would love a tabby cat, however that doesn't matter to me, just adopting a cat would make me happy. As for a dog, I would prefer to get another Rotweiler. But the area we live in I just don't think it's going to be possible. It's a city, so we would probably get a lot of abuse for having a big dopey Rotweiler. People can be so ignorant.
03-30-2014, 03:20 PM,
BellaVida Offline

The next pet I want to get is a Seahorse. I am already getting the aquarium and ordered the basics, online. My husband's uncle has some land about an hour and a half away from where we live at. He lis going to let him have half of the property. The property already has racing horses,chickens, and goats on there;so, now I'm looking into getting a mini pot-belly piglet & mini pony. I like my animals miniature-sized. I'm only around 5'2". But this doesn't have anything to do with it, because I do own a Pit bull.

I want a piglet like this one:
[Image: 3077706_orig.jpg]

Pony like this one: [Image: 797580_1.jpg]
04-05-2014, 04:13 AM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
Double Awww's to the obvious poster! I think piglets are simply precious and I have wanted one for a pet ever since I was a small child of four years visiting my uncle's farm. They are supposedly smarter than canine's as well. Personally I just think they are super sweet and love their little snouts and noises they make, precious :3!

I would love to have a piglet or ferret for my next book, though I don't know possible that is at this point with the state of my house.
04-05-2014, 07:59 PM,
BellaVida Offline

@Victor Leigh I have always wanted a monkey!! Too bad here in Texas, I don't think I can own one due to certain restrictions. Although, I did see a guy in South Padre with one...hmmm..

(04-05-2014, 04:13 AM)Ofnir Wrote: Double Awww's to the obvious poster! I think piglets are simply precious and I have wanted one for a pet ever since I was a small child of four years visiting my uncle's farm. They are supposedly smarter than canine's as well. Personally I just think they are super sweet and love their little snouts and noises they make, precious :3!

I would love to have a piglet or ferret for my next book, though I don't know possible that is at this point with the state of my house.

They are definitely a lot smarter than most animals! I seen some in person grab a little ball or plush toy and put it into a small custom made basketball ring/post. They are easy to train and darling! I start saying cheesy words when I think about cute animals! Ha! In my opinion, piglets require a lot more attention than a ferret but I guess it depends on the person & your living situation. Maybe, you can get a ferret or a rabbit. I wish I could have one of every kind of pet. Well,actually two so the other won't be lonely.
06-09-2014, 12:37 AM,
Amesii Offline

Threads: 1
The next pet I plan on getting is a dog. I already have two cats and they are fairly easy to care for. Money is not a concern for me because I work at an animal hospital and get generous discounts on healthcare and food. I am just waiting for the right apartment. I currently live in New York City with a small one bedroom. I don't think it's fair for me to get a dog with such a small space. I want him to be able to run around and play all day in addition to frequent walks. I also don't want my cats to get territorial if I throw a dog into the mix. The apartment is small enough lol. I hope to get a Shiba Inu or similar breed.
07-27-2014, 08:08 AM,
jennataylor64 Offline

my husband and i are planning on gettin a staffy dog, we love this breed as they are brilliant with kids, my husbands father had a bitch and she was great with the kids, and before i met my huband i had a female staffy, most loving dog you could ever get.
08-08-2014, 01:48 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

The next pet I plan on having is another hairless rat. I used to have one a long time ago, as a teenager. Saggy was sweet and loving. I had her 4 1/2 to 5 years. She loved rolling around in her ball I'd put her in. She loved crawling furniture and over people. She loved being held and kissed and kiss back. Saggy loved her baths and be rubbed with baby oil after. I lost her to cancer. I cried for days, was so devestated.
I know another hairless rat wouldn't be the same as Saggy, but rats, especially hairless ones are cool.
09-15-2014, 10:29 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
I am planning to get another dog or cat. This time though I will adopt from the animal shelter I am supporting: The Philippine Animal Welfare Society. There are so many adorable dogs and cats there that need forever homes and a second chance at having a loving family. Their stories are really touching, too. Being a volunteer there once, I had a first-hand experience of the rehabilitation that these animals had to go through. From all the abuse to finding their new families. Everything is just so touching. I do not really support backyard breeding, so I try to rescue and adopt animals more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,015 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,061 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,167 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,441 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,481 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,974 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,436 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,174 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,175 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57