LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
When and what was your first pet?
08-25-2013, 12:10 PM,
cpwebsite Offline

Threads: 1
When and what was your first pet?
When I was a child, my first pet was a improperly cared for aquarium, which was 2.5 gallons and contained 2 neon tetras and 1 betta fish. My parents got one of these aquariums for me, and one for my twin sister. I used to hate doing water changes or taking out the fish when they died, however the water changes now seem like nothing compared to the current 55 gallon and 10 gallon which I run. Still they were a very nice experience as a child. I enjoyed watching them, and they fostered my love for aquariums today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013, 08:45 PM,
crackerjack9 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: When and what was your first pet?
My first pet was our family dog, Sarge, who died when I was 7 years old. He followed me everywhere! The first pet I truly had for my own was a cocker spaniel puppy my parents bought me after sarge died. I named her Lady. I can still remember sleeping on the kitchen floor with her so she wouldn't cry all night when we first brought her home!
12-05-2013, 10:58 PM,
dickybird Offline

Threads: 2
My parents already had our first pet when I was born, Patchy a Jack Russell cross. Patchy was an amazing companion, he died when I was eight but he had lived for eighteen years. The first pet I got myself was when I was ten and was a rabbit, I used the very original name of Thumper. We got him when he was only eight weeks old so he was tiny. He looked like a wild rabbit and had a fetish for playing with footballs. My parents only agreed to get me a rabbit because they thought they only lived for 4-5 years. Thumper beat everyones expectations and passed away at the old age of ten.
12-09-2013, 10:16 AM,
amy005 Offline

When I was younger my family had a pet iguana named razor head. He is the first pet I can remember having. He was a pretty neat critter. I remember hearing a story about how he once got out and the neighbors saw him walking down the street. My mom had to go out and bring him back home. I even remember hearing about my brother bringing him on walks lol. I was pretty young at the time so I can't remember actually interacting with the iguana much. I do recall that he passed away after a few years of being our pet and we buried him in a shoe box. Other then that we had a big black lab named "Babe" who I loved to play with.
12-21-2013, 09:54 PM,
TheBrit Offline

My first pet, if you can really call her "mine" was a Smooth Haired Fox Terrier my parents bought when I was around four years old. We had her from an eight week old pup and she would go everywhere she could with me. She died in my arms of old age at 15 years old.
12-24-2013, 07:01 AM,
cmckinney01 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
My first pet was a dog named Fat Boy. Fat Boy is a slang term for a Harley Davidson motorcycle. His original owners were motorcycle fans. Fat Boy would not answer to any other name.
He was a sweet dog who is gone now. Rest in peace, Fat Boy.
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM,
nomibucha Offline

When i was 12 years old i have my first pet and that was a dog i really miss him .
01-12-2014, 06:25 PM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
I got three pets all around the same time at the age of 5. I had a two goldfish named Pegasus and Captain Cargo (yes, yes really. My brother named him). I also had a pet fuzzy caterpillar, Cactus. The two goldfish died two years ago (I am now 13) at the same time. Cactus was released when we moved to our current house a month into his captivity.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

01-15-2014, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM by Audsauce.)
Audsauce Offline

My first pets were fish when I turned three. One was a tiny eel-like thing, and the other two were more convential looking fish, one was yellow and one was blue. After the first day, I never saw the eel one again. It basically crawled under the rocks and died. The other two got flushed when we moved out of our apartment a year or so later. Sad. I never felt close to them, and they were kinda boring, so it turned me off to fish as pets for life. They just don't do it for me, I guess Tongue

The first pet I had that I could actually touch were a couple of cats that my dad kept. They were named Gizmo and Fred. Fred was grey and white, and Gizmo was white with orange spots. I didn't get to see them that often, because my parents were separated, but they always seemed to remember me. Gizmo was my favorite and would cuddle with me while I watched cartoons in the afternoons. They were awesome cats, and are a big part of the reason that I have a cat now. ^_^
01-17-2014, 08:17 AM,
PixieStixxx Offline

When I was a child I had of habit of collecting strays, so I wasn't constantly sneaking animals in the house. Lol, my mom would check my room, the garage, and the basement every night to make sure I hadn't snuck something in.

Usually we would have to take the animals to the Humane Society [ I visit the shelter monthly and volunteer all the time, a lot of the old workers have known me since those days as kid] but she would let me keep one every once in awhile. The first was a cat that I allowed my baby brother to name, he decided on Brassy. Brassy was a character. She could often get into fights with the other neighborhood cats, go on day long adventures...returning randomly a few mornings later, scratching at the door. She loved to follow me when I went to our creek to catch snakes.

Sadly, she was hit by a drunk driver. It was devastating =[
02-01-2014, 01:27 PM,
wander_n_wonder Offline

I had rabbits and hamsters when I was a young kid but it was not as nice as having a dog. Rabbits die very quickly because of overfeeding. They just don't know how to stop eating. They will finish whatever food you put in, no matter how full they already are. As with hamsters, they will just keep on biting you. It's very difficult to train them. They are really just like rats who don't seem to be able to interact with people. They also sometimes eat their own child. It was also very messy to maintain them, as they would literally make a mess of their cage. I've also experienced losing hamsters because they kept on biting on their cage just to be able to escape.

Dogs for me are still the best, and I only had it in recent years.
02-20-2014, 04:56 PM,
dodgenose Offline

I'm here and its an interesting topic. I grew up on my childhood days with my grandparents with their gentle and sleepy saint bernard. He's name is george, they still have a painting of him in the old house and I always remember soft he is to cuddle with.
02-24-2014, 02:55 AM,
Saltair Offline
Registered

My first pet was a dachshund/cocker spaniel cross that I named Charlie. I was thirteen. We didn't haven him long--maybe six months--and he contracted rabies and had to be put to sleep. It broke my heart. I didn't have another pet of my own until I was in my twenties. I still feel the loss today.
03-02-2014, 05:00 PM,
millshre Offline

I don't remember being young very well, but I'm pretty sure I got two pets around the same time. I was probably 5ish and we adopted a stray, long-haired black cat that showed up pregnant on our deck. She had kittens in our shed and I honestly have no idea what happened to her babies. I'm thinking my dad took them to the shelter because it was actually in the trailer park we lived in. Around the same time, I got a hamster that I named Peaches and Bear. Lol, I used both names interchangeably for whatever reason. Pepper was the cat's name. She was amazing. She died when I was 18 years old so she was probably around 17 herself. She was my best friend and I was devastated when she had to be put down.
03-06-2014, 03:28 AM,
janineaa Offline

I had my first pet when I was about 4 or 5. We had just moved out of an apartment, so I really begged my parents for a puppy. They gave in and got me a maltese terrier. We named her Candy. She was so playful and hyper and really was a good pet at home. We had a big backyard where she always ran around but it was gated. She was getting old, about 6 when she went missing. One night I was calling her name but she never showed. We searched the streets in our neighborhood and no one noticed where she went. It had already been a few days and I found her at the edge of our background dead. Sad A black cat that always jumped in our backyard killed her. That's why I hate cats.
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM,
kindredsoul Offline

Threads: 4
My first dog was a Cocker Spaniel named Frosty. He was a black and white colored dog, but mostly white. My mom named him Frosty because it reminded her of ice cream. I remember getting the dog when I was around nine. My job was to feed and give Frosty water. Unfortunately, I hated the job and was upset that I had to do it. My mom had to yell at me each day to feed the dog, and sometimes I would forget. I think that if I had the chance to pick the dog out, I might have had more interest in the dog. Years later Frosty died. I felt sad, but at the same time relieved.
06-09-2014, 12:44 AM,
Amesii Offline

My first pet was a white dwarf hamster. I was about 8 years old. I would constantly bother my father for a pet and he finally agreed on letting me have a hamster. He bought me a book about hamsters and had me read it before he would allow me to have one. I read that book as fast as I could lol. I remember the day we went to the pet shop and I laid eyes on her. I named her Fluffy before we even took her home. They put her in a little box to transport her home and I kept peeking inside on the drive home. She was scratching and trying to escape. When we got home I put her into the cage we bought for her. It had so many tubes that she could play in and explore. She loved it. I eventually got many more hamsters after that, they are fun pets to own.
06-09-2014, 01:25 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
My first pet was a huge Collie that belonged to my parents before I was even born. They lived out on a farm, and having a good farm dog was important back then. His name was Bonzo, and I am not sure where they got that name from, but he was a beautiful dark tri-color rough coat Collie, and I loved him a lot.
As I got older and was able to play out in the back yard; Bonzo was my constant companion. I would put the closed end of the leash around his nose, and then snap the other end into it, and I now had a "bridle" for my "horse". Bonzo was fine with that, until I tried to get on his back and ride him; then he would sit down. I am sure my mom was chuckling to herself when I complained to her that Bonzo would not let me ride him, and I wanted to play "horse" with him.
She explained to me that dogs were not meant to be ridden, and told me not to try anymore, because it might hurt Bonzo's back. By then, I had pretty much got the idea that it wasn't going to work, anyway.
However, he did fine when I put my doll, Susanna, on his back; so that is how we played "horse" after that.
06-10-2014, 09:35 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
My first pet, aka the first one the could legitimately be called "mine", was a beautiful grey tabby cat and my parents got her a few days after I was born. We had about 5 or 6 cats and one dog when I was kid (though I don't really remember the dog, whoops) but Jennifer (that was her name) was the very first cat that could be called "my cat". She slept in my room, usually on my head like some kind of crazy fur hat. She would chill on my bed when I played on the floor, and even was gentle enough and was chill enough for me to take her outside and sit on the porch! She wouldn't run and would actually come to me when I did that weird "come here" sound (the "psst, psst, psst" sound, you know the one) you do at cats. Heck, I even put the poor thing in a dress once! (I was like, five or something though, haha) She didn't even attempt to bite, claw or scratch me. That cat was amazing, and the patience of a saint.
07-27-2014, 08:04 AM,
jennataylor64 Offline

Sad  RE: When and what was your first pet?
my first pet was named crusty, he was a goldfish, i loved him so much and when he died, i had a funeral for him :'( i was only 4, then my second pet was a gerbil called tosey, i loved him too.
07-28-2014, 10:58 AM,
forextraspecialstuff Offline

My first pet was picked out before I was even born, He was a fat cat named George who didn't like anyone and was perhaps the least affectionate cat I have ever met. Unfortunately George passed away and that opened the door for me to pick out my very first pet. (I should say that in the interim I had quite a few goldfish, despite my best efforts they never stuck around for too long.) When I was 8 I went to the shelter and picked out a kitty, I absolutely adored her, and was my first pet as opposed to being a family pet.She was a great super affectionate cat, I attribute this to the fact that I handled her nonstop and was always petting, brushing and playing with her. Since she passed away I have not had my own pet again. My family and I are big on adoption and rescues so we tend to get a new pet when we need to, if that makes any sense, so all of our pets are family pets and we all pitch in to care for them.
09-26-2014, 11:58 AM,
Danyel72 Offline

I so remember my very first pet. I was just a little girl and we has a white Lhasa apso named Margot. Smile I have many pictures taken with her and I remember her not really wanting to cooperate very much.

She wasn't the most pleasant dog we ever had and was kind of moody and miserable at times. I guess she even tried to nip me on occasion!!! I heard from a few people that is how that breed is though.

She lived a very long life and passed at 18 years old..

Good memories,
Danyel Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,016 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,173 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,437 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,177 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57