LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you convince a friend to stop overfeeding?
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM,
Kari Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
How do you convince a friend to stop overfeeding?
I have a few dear friends who love their dogs so much, the grossly overfeed them and make them fat. I need some new arguments to help convince them of the health problems (knees, back, digestion) that come from overfeeding...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2012, 08:31 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: How do you convince a friend to stop overfeeding?
Lots of health problems can be caused by overfeeding.
Some of the health issues can be caused by or worsened by being obese,
diabetes,
arthritis,
skin problems,
respiratory problems,
worsened fatigue,
higher anesthetic risk,
shortened life span.

There was a study show that a group of overfed dogs lived 2 years shorter on average compare to another group of dogs fed with same diet but less in quantity.

Actually overfeeding is not only a problem for dogs, but for all pets. People need to learn what true love (for pets) is. While they might think they are showing more love by feeding the pets more food, it is in fact harming their health. When their life span is shortened, they don't just go without suffering.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 05:19 AM,
writer811 Offline

Threads: 10
I don't understand how anyone can NOT understand the problems caused by overfeeding, especially in a society that is as fixated on weight as we are. If they refuse to accept the arguments you've been making, they probably aren't going to listen to the new ones you come up with. Is there any way that you can talk to their vet and have him or her talk to them? They might listen to a vet.
08-28-2012, 05:52 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Maybe the costs of not only the amount of food they buy, but also the future vet bills that may come with the overfeeding, obesity and other health problems. People are always convinced by their wallets when it comes to an animal.
08-28-2012, 01:01 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
This is a tough one. People think they are depriving their dog if they don't feed them every time they want to be fed. I have come to realize that dogs are not choosy. They will eat almost anything and eat constantly if they were given the chance. It's our responsibility as their owners to make sure they eat the right food and the right amount.

I'm not sure if this argument will work, but it might if they have children. Ask them if they feed their child every time they want food. If they say no, ask them why. Then, try to turn it to their dog. You wouldn't feed a children every time they asked to eat because it wouldn't be good for their health. It's the same for a dog.

The same health issues a person who is overweight experiences is the same for a dog. Maybe more so because it will affect their ability to exercise and play.

Good luck with your friends!
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM,
Jessi Offline

Threads: 3
I'm not sure that the scare tactics will work. Most people understand perfectly well that overeating/overfeeding can lead to health problems.... but that doesn't stop them, ya know?

So maybe approach it from a different direction? Tell her about an article you read about how dogs love green beans as treats and that she should see if hers does. I can find you some links if you want. Cutting out even one snack a day with something healthier could be enough to help out his diet.
08-29-2012, 07:47 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Jessi, you are right. If people really wanted to hear about the health effects, then they would look into it. Your approach sounds good. Maybe take over some broccoli or baby carrots and show them how much the dog loves them. My dog loves vegetables! She'd do anything for steamed baby carrots.

What is really sad is when you see a dog that is overweight. Their head and neck are almost the same width. They move around slowly. My brother's two Mini Pinschers are overweight and they don't even look like Mini Pinschers any more. The older one has trouble getting around. It's just not good for them.
08-29-2012, 07:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM by Victor Leigh.)
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Perhaps you should also have a look at the owners of the dogs. Very often people who overfeed their dogs also overfeed themselves. If you really want to help your friends, and this is going to be a very tough and long-term project, you will have to start by showing them how to live a healthy lifestyle by eating a proper diet and having proper exercise. Only when the owners themselves do this would they be aware of the needs of their dogs with regards to food and exercise.

However if your friend's dog looks anything like this:
[Image: fat-dog.jpg]
you may need to make a call to the nearest ASPCA or RSPCA office before it's too late.
08-30-2012, 12:31 AM,
Jessi Offline

Threads: 3
(08-29-2012, 07:47 AM)TreeClimber Wrote: Jessi, you are right. If people really wanted to hear about the health effects, then they would look into it. Your approach sounds good. Maybe take over some broccoli or baby carrots and show them how much the dog loves them. My dog loves vegetables! She'd do anything for steamed baby carrots.

Same here. Peas are a good one, too. If it's a smaller dog, they love chasing them. When they flick one with their tongue, it'll end up rolling across the floor and cause them to chase it. This works cooked or still frozen even and it adds to the exercise that they usually need, too.
08-30-2012, 04:51 AM,
jester23 Offline

Threads: 4
I think first you have to discover the why. Why is the dog being overfed? From the reason, you can then go into what needs to modified in order to suit the dogs needs in terms of eating, and what needs to be done to keep the eating in check. From their you can then devise a plan to keep the eating to a stable condition to where this problem wont arise in the future, that they can follow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your friend has no sweat glands! remnant 2 1,765 06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: cecejailer
  My Dog Won't Stop Biting!!!! blackbettie 7 4,175 05-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Last Post: outdoorgal
  How to stop dog from licking? johnnysearay 4 2,978 01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: BirdPoo
  Alaskan Friend Jezebella 0 1,360 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Jezebella
  How can I stop this behavior? JaimieSkye 10 4,121 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: FlanneryCam
  How to stop your dog from barking at the door! sandooch 6 3,671 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Last Post: themdno
  How do you get your dog to stop excessively barking? sandooch 5 3,299 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Last Post: pafjlh
  What would you do to stop your dogs from fighting haopee 2 1,898 09-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Last Post: TreeClimber
  How do you stop dogs from barking? Ram 16 5,656 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: ohiotom76