LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Cats Like Boxes
02-17-2015, 11:36 AM,
PrideKidd Offline

Threads: 5
Rainbow  Why Cats Like Boxes
I was surfing the internet just a little bit ago and asked my brother, "I wonder why cats like boxes so much?" So I decided to google it, because as we all know google knows everything. Here is the story I found from Wired.com Why Cats Like Boxes I found it amusing so I thought I would share.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2015, 03:30 AM,
BobCat Offline

RE: Why Cats Like Boxes
(02-17-2015, 11:36 AM)PrideKidd Wrote: I was surfing the internet just a little bit ago and asked my brother, "I wonder why cats like boxes so much?" So I decided to google it, because as we all know google knows everything. Here is the story I found from Wired.com Why Cats Like Boxes I found it amusing so I thought I would share.

What an interesting article! It makes sense that research indicates boxes provide insulation, relieve stress, a good hiding spot to relax, sleep, and give an occasional surprise attack. Sometimes, our living-room looks like a big cat box. We have big, medium, small, tall, and shallow. It is amazing how many sixes boxes that we collect. I know it sounds a bit extreme; however, it is such an inexpensive way to keep our cats happy. Do you, or others, have a collection of boxes for your pet?
03-29-2015, 05:44 AM,
kfander Offline

When I get something that comes in a large box from Amazon.com or somewhere, before we shred it for compost, it does duty for a few days as a cat castle. I'll sometimes cut slits in it so that they can reach out with their paws to slap another cat on the outside and, if it's large enough, I'll cut a couple of entrances in it. I have two 24 year-old cats who will lay siege to the castle when the younger one is inside.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2015, 05:50 AM,
BobCat Offline

(03-29-2015, 05:44 AM)kfander Wrote: When I get something that comes in a large box from Amazon.com or somewhere, before we shred it for compost, it does duty for a few days as a cat castle. I'll sometimes cut slits in it so that they can reach out with their paws to slap another cat on the outside and, if it's large enough, I'll cut a couple of entrances in it. I have two 24 year-old cats who will lay siege to the castle when the younger one is inside.

Wow, your two older cats sound like they are still having a good time! I like to hear that they are still active. Unfortunately, we have never had a cat reach the age of 24. Are your cats only indoors?

If a box has flaps, we will prop one side up for the "castle appearance. I like the idea of cutting the slits for paw slapping! Think I will give it a try. Our older cat (14 yrs old) is the queen of the house and our younger cat can get quite submissive when told to back off; nevertheless, I think they would have great fun.
03-31-2015, 09:50 PM,
kfander Offline

(03-31-2015, 05:50 AM)BobCat Wrote: Wow, your two older cats sound like they are still having a good time! I like to hear that they are still active. Unfortunately, we have never had a cat reach the age of 24. Are your cats only indoors?
Indoors right now, but most of their lives they were indoor-outdoor. I lost a cat, probably to a fox, a year and a half ago so and, since (being older) they weren't going outdoors much anyhow, I decided to leave the cat door closed. The younger one has never been outdoors on her own.

I've had four cats live into their twenties, one of the others being the mom of the two older ones I have now, who got cancer at 23. For their age, they are pretty active, and Ella (the younger one) is very good with them, in that she plays with them an their ability level. One of the older ones is very thin and fragile, but the other is not at all so.

Ella doesn't challenge them, which is nice. The exceptions to this is when they try to take her food, or when they try to take the one sleeping place that she has claimed for her own. She mostly sleeps up high, where they are unable to climb, but she has one enclosure that she claimed a while back. It is a carpeted cat enclosure that I have had for years, and neither of the older ones showed the least bit of interest in. Now that Ella has been sleeping there, one of them keeps going in there when Ella is away, and Ella will slap at her until she leaves. It's funny, because Ella will do that even when she doesn't want to be in there herself. It's like she's saying, "That is mine! Get out of there!" Which is probably the case, since she has never taken one of their heated beds.

(03-31-2015, 05:50 AM)BobCat Wrote: If a box has flaps, we will prop one side up for the "castle appearance. I like the idea of cutting the slits for paw slapping! Think I will give it a try. Our older cat (14 yrs old) is the queen of the house and our younger cat can get quite submissive when told to back off; nevertheless, I think they would have great fun.

One of my older ones is the alpha female too, and Ella makes quite a show of being submissive. After losing the other older cat that we had, Cutie and Lydia (the two older ones) would barely get out of their beds. Although they never particularly like the other cat, her absence seemed to give them nothing to live for.

When we got Ella, they hated her at first, but Ella was the perfect diplomat. Watching her make friends with them was very interesting, and it is nice to see the older ones playing with her now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 09:48 AM,
BobCat Offline

(03-31-2015, 09:50 PM)kfander Wrote: Indoors right now, but most of their lives they were indoor-outdoor. I lost a cat, probably to a fox, a year and a half ago so and, since (being older) they weren't going outdoors much anyhow, I decided to leave the cat door closed. The younger one has never been outdoors on her own.

I've had four cats live into their twenties, one of the others being the mom of the two older ones I have now, who got cancer at 23. For their age, they are pretty active, and Ella (the younger one) is very good with them, in that she plays with them an their ability level. One of the older ones is very thin and fragile, but the other is not at all so.

Ella doesn't challenge them, which is nice. The exceptions to this is when they try to take her food, or when they try to take the one sleeping place that she has claimed for her own. She mostly sleeps up high, where they are unable to climb, but she has one enclosure that she claimed a while back. It is a carpeted cat enclosure that I have had for years, and neither of the older ones showed the least bit of interest in. Now that Ella has been sleeping there, one of them keeps going in there when Ella is away, and Ella will slap at her until she leaves. It's funny, because Ella will do that even when she doesn't want to be in there herself. It's like she's saying, "That is mine! Get out of there!" Which is probably the case, since she has never taken one of their heated beds.

One of my older ones is the alpha female too, and Ella makes quite a show of being submissive. After losing the other older cat that we had, Cutie and Lydia (the two older ones) would barely get out of their beds. Although they never particularly like the other cat, her absence seemed to give them nothing to live for.

When we got Ella, they hated her at first, but Ella was the perfect diplomat. Watching her make friends with them was very interesting, and it is nice to see the older ones playing with her now.

Oh, sorry to hear about losing one of your cats to a fox (probably). We don't let out cats outside, but our older one, Herman, use to the countryside years ago. Our younger one, Eddie, never go to explore, similar to your Ella. Which by the way, I love the name Ella. It is an old family name that runs through many generations. Anyways, one night Eddie escaped through the side door that leads to our garage. Yep, daughter left the doors open. We think she was out there a few hours. We have a lot of racoons out and about here and being dark there were a lot of head lights shining down the road. All new to her. By the time, we found her, which was right across the street, she was stiff and crouched into a corner of a neighbor's house. I think, she was too scared to move! Now, if it had been Herman, she would have come right back inside proud as a peacock.

I know what you mean by claiming certain areas to sleep, too. I think this the only time, Eddie feels like Queen of the Jungle. She knows that Herman can only jump up on certain boxes we have by the window sills, but not up on the built in shelves or the ledge to the stairway. One of our closets has a series of shelves and she climbs up to the highest one to sleep, too. I think it is pretty cool because there is a window up there.

I liked how you described Ella's behavior, as a show of being submissive. I think you hit the nail right on the head with this description. We also laugh at our younger cats melodramatic behavior when it comes to being submissive. So this really made me laugh.

Well, your two older cats sound like real survivors! I hope the one is not suffering too much with the Cancer. One of cats passed away from this ailment, years ago. It really was quite a sad experience.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more!
04-09-2015, 01:44 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I don't have cats anymore because my husband does not like cats particularly; so I just have my little dogs, which he tolerates just fine.
When I did have cats, they used to love to get in any kind of container, boxes, barrels, and even papper sacks, back in the days when groceries actually were packed in paper sacks.
My little Yorkie-poo, Chipper, seems to like little hideaways, too. Since he is eleven years old now, and our other dog, Tootsie, likes to bounce around; Chipper often slips around behind the couch and hides there. He likes to be close to me, and when he is not behind the couch, her is usually laying on his blanket right beside me. The place where he hides in back of the couch is actually right behind me; so he can be secreted away and still feel like he is close to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often should cats be fed? brianapaige619 13 5,125 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: jamesformtter55
  Raw Feeding Cats helaofthenorns 8 4,129 05-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gibbto
Photo My husband hates cats???? Meowmie 9 9,867 02-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Any Experience With Mouse Catching Cats? HillCritters 9 4,337 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Cats in Cars Novelangel 12 5,482 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM
  How Many Cats Have You Ever Had At One Time? KittyReeves 21 9,915 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
  Boiled fish for cats helaofthenorns 2 3,131 02-19-2021, 05:29 PM
  Cats Who Watch TV Novelangel 6 3,675 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
  Cats and Relaxing Sounds Novelangel 6 4,030 10-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Leash Cats: Doable? Bloomsie 14 6,040 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  How music affects cats Happyflowerlady 12 6,527 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Some cats are stressed by being petted. Happyflowerlady 16 7,872 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  De-clawing Cats nailah783 6 4,641 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Adopting two cats? mabatbai 6 5,030 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Looking for helpful hints to help deal with cats claws KerriFL 4 4,081 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: nailah783